1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
Another year
By medco1310 on 12/22/14 04:13 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this is my third review. Car has 77,000 miles now. Had to change the clutch and did a tuneup. Put in a grand. Still running great. Took it on a 3000 mile trip last summer. Looks like the rust will do the car in. Hope to get 90,000 miles on it For me thats another 4 years which will make the car 20 years old. Still enjoy driving the car. Its a blast in the winter. The only downside is the low gas mileage on the hwy. Around 21 at 70 mph. Not good.

Still going strong
By medco131 on 05/25/13 05:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Four years later from my 09 review. Vitara still reliable and going strong. I now have 68,000 miles. Exhaust system is showing extreme wear and will probably have to be replaced soon. Also same for clutch. Other than that car is fine shape. Hope to have it to 90,000.

God thank you!
By cheibaby on 09/17/11 11:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best trucks on the world. My mom got this truck around 2005 and it still strong. She never had a problem with the engine till now, seven years without any major problems is a blessing. The car should last us a few more years if she take care of it!!!

Great SUV
By Ron on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the GV used with about 40,000 miles on it. Then I drove the heck out of it before passing it on to my daughter who proceeded to do the same. It now has 210,000 miles and is still running strong. But we're retiring it in favor of a new car for her to drive. During this time, the only repair has been to replace a rear wheel bearing. Nothing else. (Actually we have two of these and I'm still driving mine.)

So Disappointed
By L.S.W. on 09/17/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Since purchasing this vehicle brand new in 1999, I've had several problems. To name a few: metal protruding through driver and passenger seats, timing chain and tensioner repair, rear diff replaced, A/C replaced, trans replaced, constant rattling noise at acceleration and idle, faulty 4WD, cramped seating, poor cargo space, poor customer service with the American Suzuki Motor Corporation. No help whatsoever regarding issues. It was in the repair shop more than it was on the road. It is truly a lemon!

Still going strong
By Medco on 02/19/09 10:19 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Thought by now I would have sold it, but still runs and looks great. Repairs have been minimal. Car is super reliable and fun to drive. Great in all weather. Going on 10 years and the way the economy looks, I'll have this another 10. If GM would have made cars like this they wouldnt be in the trouble they are in. Thanks Suzuki.

185,000 and going strong
By Alison on 11/12/08 16:44 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I am amazed that a vehicle with high mileage can drive so well. Never had any major issues and continues to be reliable. Better than stated with over 20 mpg city/highway. I continue to make sure I change the oil every 3k and do not have any doubts I will hit 250k.

Built Suzuki Tough
By Tough and Sporty on 07/09/08 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this little SUV for 7 years and have had no major repairs except for the a/c needing replacement 3 times. It always starts, never gets stuck, and at 225,000 km has no rattles. I have never seen a vehicle like this that just keeps on going. Going to see if I can get to 300,000 kms. I am just antsy to get something else for a change. I think this is the real deal as it will go off road, has rear wheel drive so it corners well and with the v6 has lots of speed and power with manual tranny. Trying to find better value in a real truck based suv is tough

LOVE this car!
By Wes & Su on 05/31/07 11:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best car we've had! Totaled our car, borrowed friends' Rav4 a few days and knew we wanted a small SUV. Got into this one - much more head room than others we'd tried, and power, plus the ergonomic seats! Only probs have been the A/C (live in TX and NEED that!) and our friend who works on it does not like where some parts are located/changing brakes on it! We're having to get rid of it now, but if we had the $, we would DEFINITELY get another one!

ASR '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara
By Andrew S Ratkewicz on 11/26/06 12:22 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I am very pleased with this vehicle. It is reliable, has a decent ride, good power, and very low maintenance. It does have disappointing gads mileage for a V6 though. I thought it would be better. I only average 17-18 mpg city and 20-21 mpg highway.