Used 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Another year
By medco1310

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this is my third review. Car has 77,000 miles now. Had to change the clutch and did a tuneup. Put in a grand. Still running great. Took it on a 3000 mile trip last summer. Looks like the rust will do the car in. Hope to get 90,000 miles on it For me thats another 4 years which will make the car 20 years old. Still enjoy driving the car. Its a blast in the winter. The only downside is the low gas mileage on the hwy. Around 21 at 70 mph. Not good.

Favorite Features

Stick shift and 4 wheel drive. Easily carrys alot of stuff in the back. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage. 22 mpg is pathetic

Still going strong
By medco131

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Four years later from my 09 review. Vitara still reliable and going strong. I now have 68,000 miles. Exhaust system is showing extreme wear and will probably have to be replaced soon. Also same for clutch. Other than that car is fine shape. Hope to have it to 90,000.

Favorite Features

Reliablity

God thank you!
By cheibaby

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the best trucks on the world. My mom got this truck around 2005 and it still strong. She never had a problem with the engine till now, seven years without any major problems is a blessing. The car should last us a few more years if she take care of it!!!

Favorite Features

Engine is stong like a 3800!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Great SUV
By Ron

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the GV used with about 40,000 miles on it. Then I drove the heck out of it before passing it on to my daughter who proceeded to do the same. It now has 210,000 miles and is still running strong. But we're retiring it in favor of a new car for her to drive. During this time, the only repair has been to replace a rear wheel bearing. Nothing else. (Actually we have two of these and I'm still driving mine.)

Favorite Features

Can go anywhere, anytime. Fun to drive. Consistently gets 24 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

So Disappointed
By L.S.W.

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Since purchasing this vehicle brand new in 1999, I've had several problems. To name a few: metal protruding through driver and passenger seats, timing chain and tensioner repair, rear diff replaced, A/C replaced, trans replaced, constant rattling noise at acceleration and idle, faulty 4WD, cramped seating, poor cargo space, poor customer service with the American Suzuki Motor Corporation. No help whatsoever regarding issues. It was in the repair shop more than it was on the road. It is truly a lemon!

Favorite Features

The V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room to voice all of my dismay with this vehicle. How about build a better and more reliable car. Will never purchase another Suzuki.