Used 2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Suzuki Forenza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forenza model:

DO NOT buy this car
By rrowlan6

2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car in 2007 as a temporary commuter vehicle for my mother after she blew up our Ford Taurus. This car has been an absolute nightmare from the start. Shortly after purchasing we ran into some financial troubles (as everyone did) and ended up paying the loan off and now own the car outright. We have put more than $18,000 in this car over the last 7 or 8 years and every time something is fixed, something else blows up. Normal wear and tear on a vehicle are understandable, but we had it in the shop every 3 months at least. Not to mention everything that went wrong with it was a safety issue.

Favorite Features

The low fuel light stopped working in 2008 at 36,000 miles. The check engine light has been on almost since the day we got it. Every time it is repaired, it just comes back on for something else. The airbag light is on, which means no airbags in the vehicle. We had all four struts replaced in 2011, they were completely gone. The engine and transmission were replaced in 2013. After that we had a little more luck, but not for long. The front end of the car has been screwed up probably since we bought the car. We've spend hundreds of dollars on alignments and it still hasn't fixed the problem, tires have to be rotated monthly because if not, the front two tires separate.

Suggested Improvements

We've gone through dozens of sets of tires because of this. The PRNDL switch was replaced because it was constantly coming out of gear going down the road, this still didn't fix the problem. There is something physically wrong with the shifter itself. The radio has been replaced THREE times. It barely accelerates, to the point where I have a problem keeping up with traffic. Sometimes it won't start. I've "ran out of gas" with a quarter of a tank before. I get engine misfire codes every day. The car is now at 136,000 miles, with only 38,000 miles on the new engine and transmission. Should I go on? DO NOT buy this car, it will be the worst mistake you've ever made.

Stay away from this car
By nick131

2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car i have ever purchased. The transmission control module had to be replaced every 6 months. Loud engine. I bought the car with 6000 miles and at 30k miles head gasket went out. Struts had to be replaced 3 times. So last week i decided to sell it for only 1000 dollars. I lost 8000 dollars but i am so happy to get rid of that piece of junk. Suzuki makes motorcycles NOT cars. Please do not spend your hard earned money on a Suzuki. Good luck finding a dealer for parts, they all closed their doors.

Favorite Features

easy to park

Suggested Improvements

engine and transmission reliability. fells very cheap.

Mixed emotions about the 2006 Suzuki Forenza
By mbrown282

2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As I read other reviews, I noticed a trend. There have been a lot of issues with the Forenza. I don't disagree with any of them. I got mine with 55,000. 34 months and 55,000 miles later I'm now looking for a new engine. Like a previous reviewer experienced, I too had a problem with the shift switch. Next to go was my transmission. Those were replaced under warranty. Other than that I was getting new rear pads almost twice a year. That's until water all of sudden showed up in my oil. Despite the issues, I like the way the car rides. Call me crazy, but I'm putting another engine in and driving it until the wheels fall off.

Poor build quality, don't buy
By rick_vandeven

2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My daugher bought a 2006 Suzuki Forenza with 22,000 miles on it in 2012. Less than a month after her purchase, the transmission selecter switch went out. This switch failed again after 8,000 miles. I stocked up this time. The car required a full tune up at 35,000 miles. The plugs were dust. I have never seen plugs look this bad in a car with this few miles. I replaced the timing belt while I was at it. I had a hunch this was the next item to fail. I just replaced the struts with 50,000 miles. They were absolute junk and would not stand on their own without the springs. Unless you like working on vehicles, do not purchase a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. Poor, poor, poor build quality.

Favorite Features

The car is cute. It seems like it is roomy and easy to drive (when it's not in the shop). My daughter is treating it like a poor orphan that nobody wants. Probably because nobody but her does want it.

Suggested Improvements

The Suzuki Forenza is a terrible car. I have never seen such cheap materials used on anything, much less a car. I don't think that you can buy a Suzuki in the States anymore. If you run across a "good deal" on a Suzuki Forenza, please take my advice: spend the extra cash, and buy a Toyota or Honda.

I will miss it
By njrp2000

2006 Suzuki Forenza Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 2 miles on it. Drove it until she had 108,547 miles when the timing belt and pulley system broke taking along some valves and pistons with it while on a road trip. Worth more to fix than the cars value so I decided to junk it. This was the only "necessary" major repair work I had to do on the car. In 7 years I never had to change out the brakes, the clutch or anything else. Replaced the serpentine belt once and the battery just once. The only negative I have was the paint was faulty and the interior door handles broke very easily.

Favorite Features

For a base model it came pretty loaded. Larger on the inside than you would think for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Can't improve when the company is out of the auto manufacturing business.