2002 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Most Dependable Car Ever
By trnscndr on 12/18/10 08:49 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have no complaints, used to be Toyota man, but my maintenance costs have been nearly nothing in the first 100K miles

Reliability and Economy
By Martyk on 03/10/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 85000 miles and am now up to 117000 miles with NO problems. I averaged 41 MPG on a trip across the country and have not had to spend money on repairs. I change the oil, filters and belts when needed. Great car. Radio and speakers are cheap and problematic, but overall car is very dependable and economic.

Outrageous parts and repair
By ron on 12/07/08 12:27 PM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage. Bought car new, but then the interior lights start burning out at 1 year. Interior starts fading, poor material. Air flow modulator went out costing 1000 dollars for just the part. Has 2 catalytic converters, but don't know which one to replace. Can't get it inspected because computer can't tell what is wrong with it. Will not buy another Suzuki after this disaster.

Great car for the price
By sj on 10/16/07 16:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used (5 speed, wagon) and never had any issues whatsover. With the rear seats folded down, it had very good usable cargo space. You can fit stuff in there you can never imagine in a sedan. Wonder why people still prefer to buy sedans over wagons.

Super Reliable
By towncourier on 09/17/07 20:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my Esteem. Broken-hearted. A fantastic vehicle. I used it for courier deliveries. Back seats fold flat and the cargo space held everything! Handled very heavy (500 lbs) loads without too much complaining. Lots of jackrabbit starts (deadlines you know) and sudden stops. But the reliability was great. Never even changed a headlight until 260,000 km. Several things (rad, control arm, CV boots etc) went this week. But now that its got 365,000 km (228 k miles) I can't really complain.

I miss it already
By L.E.C. on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Until 3/18/04 I really loved my little Suzuki. I did have to replace the tires and a bumper, which were a little pricey (but this not a ford Focus, so don't expect to be readily able to get parts for cheap). But I love it more now because that car saved my life. I took my eyes off the road for 1 second and ended up rolling the car over four times. Where I was in the driver's seat held up wonderfully. The passenger side, not so hot, but for the impact it took (hitting a culvert in a driveway at 45 mph) it did well. I was able to walk out of the car. The car is totalled, but I owe that I am writing this today to that car.

Owner
By G Castanier on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good acceleration and power. Should get bettter gas mileage for small car. Also parts can be very expensive. Example $88.00 for a wheel cover. Hard to exit car due to lowness of seat.

My Esteem
By vmartin_12 on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought my Esteem, I understand what are made for. For the money you paid, and is lookin' for a car 'cause he's last one was crash, like mine... is a best buy. You get a lot of thing for a few bucks.

Can't believe I bought it
By Nilka Alamo on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In the beginning I had virtually no problems but over the past few months it is one thing after another. The car isn't even a year old yet. It has been an inconvenience for me to have to take the car back and forth to the dealership. I just wish I would have never bought it.

need more thinking
By skp on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

after using this car for one year i don't like the brake because it makes a thump when you push hard on it. tires and suspension are hard going over bumps. the engine is so noisy when trying to push the car. the interior is not well thought of. it has a spot for a digital clock in the dash but nothing is there just a whole.