2001 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Best car ever !!
By western mass fan on 06/09/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new for $10,700 with sticker reading $14,999 and love the car. It's sporty drive (5 speed) and great economy 35 mpg or more place it next to my suzuki motorcyle in fun. Oil changes every 3000 miles and original spark plugs at 93,000 miles and running like a top. Rust is starting on door bottoms, and had to replace the front sub frame this month (big bucks). Still can't complain and wish I could get it back from my daughter.

Outstanding, Reliable Transportation
By JCRobin on 12/27/08 09:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this little car for almost 6 years and drive it to and from work and around town everyday. It runs flawlessly and is actually kinda fun to drive, for a basic economy car. The engine is the best component, typical as with Suzuki motorcycles. Clarion stero is junk but easily replaced. OK it's not a Lexus but I have had absolutely no problems, it's great on gas and I intend and expect to drive it to 200k+ with only normal good maintenance practices. What more could someone expect from any car especially a value-priced underrated bargain. I will surely buy another Suzuki when the time comes.

Not a bad little car
By thorpite on 03/31/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Esteem for 5 years and have never had any major mechanical problems with it and it handles like a champ. I like my little car and it's great in city traffic and tight spots. I moved from Florida to Chicago and was curious to see how it would handle in ice and snow since it is very light and can be hard to handle in high winds. In snow/ice, it slides a lot in turns. The engine can be noisy but I always have the radio on, so it's not an issue for me personally. I replaced the factory CD player because mine stopped reading CDs and my intermittent windshield wipers gave out soon after purchase and now I've noticed that my wipers don't reset themselves when they turn off.

Maintenance
By FYJ on 03/18/07 23:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our car brand new in March of 2001. We now have 251,986 miles on it. The only major repair we needed to make on it was in 2005 when we replaced the ball bearings and in early 2007 when we replaced the water pump. Our car - we call her Suzy Suzuki - has been a great investment for us. Our next car for sure will a Suzuki.

Great Used Car
By Hawkes on 11/19/05 23:39 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Suzuki Esteem used with less than 9,000 miles on it. The engine light went on and it took a while for service to figure out the problem. It ended up being a recall issue. I haven't had a major problem with my car since. I have been getting great mileage, I average 28 around town and 32 on the highway. I am very happy with my purchase.

It's Not Bad!
By SelfEsteem on 02/19/05 03:05 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't get the lemon one! Only use it for work. I notice though that the first time I filled up the gas tank full, the needle was on "E." Will not suggest for very long travel time. Only get about 21mpg rather than 26mpg as noted by EPA.

What are you doing
By richdaddy123 on 02/04/05 16:12 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what the other reviewers are doing to their cars, maybe abusing them, but I have had nothing go wrong with this car whatsoever. My parents had this same car (wagon version) and they had no troubles either. This is not a hot rod car. It's a car to get around town, and it does that very well. By the way, my parents were so impressed with the Esteem, when they traded it in they bought another Suzuki, and have had no trouble with it either.

Just bought it
By Mike on 02/03/05 03:28 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was okay when I test drive it. The sales manager accepted my offer and I paid really cheap with very low mileage. The following day "engine check" light came on, but the car is still running. I hope nothing major repair and more to come.

Extinct- R.I.P.
By Funkhybrid on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was so happy when I heard Suzuki was discontinuing this model, it was the most intelengent decision made regarding this car, as oppose to mine. This car is a good way to throw out $10,500. ( New) or $16k which is how much it has cost us to maintain. I have nothing positive to say regarding this auto. Except, I am glad we have three years left.

Esteem rises to the occasion
By Sakura Digital on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After much redesign from the 2000 model I find that the 2001 Esteem drives and handles much like a Mazda Protoge. In 1.5 years I have had NO mechanical failures and aside from car washes and oil changes this is all I have to do. This little car even has punch on the highway. And, especially when trying to park in Boston or Salem the compact size is a must to allow fitting in tight spaces. When sitting inside you do not even realize the compact size outside. Plenty of room for 5.