2001 Suzuki Esteem GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

2001 Esteem Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

Sort Reviews by

Best car ever !!
By western mass fan

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new for $10,700 with sticker reading $14,999 and love the car. It's sporty drive (5 speed) and great economy 35 mpg or more place it next to my suzuki motorcyle in fun. Oil changes every 3000 miles and original spark plugs at 93,000 miles and running like a top. Rust is starting on door bottoms, and had to replace the front sub frame this month (big bucks). Still can't complain and wish I could get it back from my daughter.

Favorite Features

Peppiness, styling, A/C and heat, love the daytime running lights for making the little car more visable.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk feels tinny when closing, center vent loose (piece of paper holds it).

Outstanding, Reliable Transportation
By JCRobin

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this little car for almost 6 years and drive it to and from work and around town everyday. It runs flawlessly and is actually kinda fun to drive, for a basic economy car. The engine is the best component, typical as with Suzuki motorcycles. Clarion stero is junk but easily replaced. OK it's not a Lexus but I have had absolutely no problems, it's great on gas and I intend and expect to drive it to 200k+ with only normal good maintenance practices. What more could someone expect from any car especially a value-priced underrated bargain. I will surely buy another Suzuki when the time comes.

Favorite Features

Awesome engine, timing chain, not belt. Very responsive and easy to service. Excellent trans, also.

Suggested Improvements

Suzuki could have done better for their efforts as well as the satisfaction of new and perspective buyers by outfitting and adding more interior comforts and making all models better that just basic function and appearance for the driver. A little better paint and body would be a plus.

Not a bad little car
By thorpite

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Esteem for 5 years and have never had any major mechanical problems with it and it handles like a champ. I like my little car and it's great in city traffic and tight spots. I moved from Florida to Chicago and was curious to see how it would handle in ice and snow since it is very light and can be hard to handle in high winds. In snow/ice, it slides a lot in turns. The engine can be noisy but I always have the radio on, so it's not an issue for me personally. I replaced the factory CD player because mine stopped reading CDs and my intermittent windshield wipers gave out soon after purchase and now I've noticed that my wipers don't reset themselves when they turn off.

Favorite Features

Handles great, good fuel economy (32/28), easy to drive, small gas tank to fill up means less to pay at the pump.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows and locks (I bought mine used and the previous owner had no options).

Maintenance
By FYJ

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our car brand new in March of 2001. We now have 251,986 miles on it. The only major repair we needed to make on it was in 2005 when we replaced the ball bearings and in early 2007 when we replaced the water pump. Our car - we call her Suzy Suzuki - has been a great investment for us. Our next car for sure will a Suzuki.

Favorite Features

Everything. Before we moved into the city, we lived out in the country and we used to fill up every four days driving about 100 miles a day round trip. We own our own business and have to drive around a lot, but we still can get through the week every six days between the next fill up

Suggested Improvements

I am wondering if Suzuki will come out with vans like the Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna

Great Used Car
By Hawkes

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Suzuki Esteem used with less than 9,000 miles on it. The engine light went on and it took a while for service to figure out the problem. It ended up being a recall issue. I haven't had a major problem with my car since. I have been getting great mileage, I average 28 around town and 32 on the highway. I am very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

The sporty look, great handling, good pickup, running lights, and comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Suzuki could have provided a few more standard options, such as inside adjustable side mirrors and bar to hang clothing in the back seat.

It's Not Bad!
By SelfEsteem

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't get the lemon one! Only use it for work. I notice though that the first time I filled up the gas tank full, the needle was on "E." Will not suggest for very long travel time. Only get about 21mpg rather than 26mpg as noted by EPA.

Favorite Features

Stereo. Fun to handle. Economical...somewhat. Body style. Can handle semi-steep hills. Accelerate easy.

Suggested Improvements

Better driver seat - Driver seat not too comfortable. More torque/horsepower. Better handling. Longer warranty. Center front air vents are loose. Touchy steering. Replacement body parts are very expensive. Better MPG.

What are you doing
By richdaddy123

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what the other reviewers are doing to their cars, maybe abusing them, but I have had nothing go wrong with this car whatsoever. My parents had this same car (wagon version) and they had no troubles either. This is not a hot rod car. It's a car to get around town, and it does that very well. By the way, my parents were so impressed with the Esteem, when they traded it in they bought another Suzuki, and have had no trouble with it either.

Favorite Features

Peppy powerplant, fun to drive,reliable

Just bought it
By Mike

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was okay when I test drive it. The sales manager accepted my offer and I paid really cheap with very low mileage. The following day "engine check" light came on, but the car is still running. I hope nothing major repair and more to come.

Favorite Features

Affordability, miles/gal, std a/c and cd player, space(4 dr sedan for 5) and body style.

Suggested Improvements

Listen to the custome'rs complaints. Try to make the vehicle less prone to problems.

Extinct- R.I.P.
By Funkhybrid

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was so happy when I heard Suzuki was discontinuing this model, it was the most intelengent decision made regarding this car, as oppose to mine. This car is a good way to throw out $10,500. ( New) or $16k which is how much it has cost us to maintain. I have nothing positive to say regarding this auto. Except, I am glad we have three years left.

Favorite Features

Once I payoff this car, I will have good standing with Suzuki and buy a bike.

Suggested Improvements

My dream has already come true!

Esteem rises to the occasion
By Sakura Digital

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After much redesign from the 2000 model I find that the 2001 Esteem drives and handles much like a Mazda Protoge. In 1.5 years I have had NO mechanical failures and aside from car washes and oil changes this is all I have to do. This little car even has punch on the highway. And, especially when trying to park in Boston or Salem the compact size is a must to allow fitting in tight spaces. When sitting inside you do not even realize the compact size outside. Plenty of room for 5.

Favorite Features

Reliability. The options package. Pick up on the highway - surprising power.