2001 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Good family car/ great on fuel
By Mr.Chris on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Traded my gas guzzling Blazer for this car. This is the second esteem I have owned. the first was a 1999. The CV axles are only good it seems for 100- 130k miles. Comfortable, not a powerhouse by any means but good on gas and the A/C is freezing cold. I have almost 150K on it currently and have had really good luck with Suzuki products as a cheaper alternative to Honda with the same reliability. Folks, keep up maintenance to make it last. Simple. Regular oil changes, tune ups etc. That simple. Fun to drive, I have a bad back at age 33 so the firm seats are great. The factory CD player isn't working but the radio does. I really have no complaints. GREAT ON GAS.

I'd like it to last forever
By dotteddancer on 08/03/10 05:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter bought the 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon in 2004 to drive between college and student teaching. It had 60,000 miles on it. When she graduated I bought it from her to drive to work with 90,000 miles. I have driven it now 5 years and it has 212,000 miles. So far there have been no major repairs required. My husband finds it uncomfortable but I don't have any problems driving it. It is low to the ground and tends to catch flying rocks on the windshield that a taller vehicle would have hit the grill. It averages 30-31 MPG highway, which is the majority of my driving. I would like cruise control. The biggest problem has been an oil leak at the head gasket and the CD doesn't work.

sub frame
By 724joep on 10/20/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2001 suzuki esteem wagon bought in 2002 with 4500 miles. as of 10/20/09 it only has 35000 miles on it. Last week we were going to town and the front sub frame just rusted out and broke. Could have been very bad but we were going slow. I called American Suzuki in Ca. and they are looking into it. I hope they man up and help me get it fixed. I have owned Suzuki motorcycles all my life and this is the first car I hope to keep it a long time. So come on American Suzuki and help a guy out.

Best car ever !!
By western mass fan on 06/09/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new for $10,700 with sticker reading $14,999 and love the car. It's sporty drive (5 speed) and great economy 35 mpg or more place it next to my suzuki motorcyle in fun. Oil changes every 3000 miles and original spark plugs at 93,000 miles and running like a top. Rust is starting on door bottoms, and had to replace the front sub frame this month (big bucks). Still can't complain and wish I could get it back from my daughter.

Outstanding, Reliable Transportation
By JCRobin on 12/27/08 09:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this little car for almost 6 years and drive it to and from work and around town everyday. It runs flawlessly and is actually kinda fun to drive, for a basic economy car. The engine is the best component, typical as with Suzuki motorcycles. Clarion stero is junk but easily replaced. OK it's not a Lexus but I have had absolutely no problems, it's great on gas and I intend and expect to drive it to 200k+ with only normal good maintenance practices. What more could someone expect from any car especially a value-priced underrated bargain. I will surely buy another Suzuki when the time comes.

Great value for the money
By tony on 05/05/08 21:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GLX Sport 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car runs very good and has been very reliable. The car came fully loaded with the aero pkg, kyb sport spsn, yokohama advan's and sportline alloys. This was a limited edition. At 67k this car runs and handles very well, I use castrol syntec 5w30 in engine and royal purple in tranny. I wash the car with meguires and wax with zymol. The color is deep space blue. I turned the front rotors 2x and replaced the pads also. I change engine oil and filter every 4k miles, since tranny does not have a filter I change tranny fluid every 15k miles, mpg highway avg 28 (advan 15" tires) mpg city 24 avg

Not a bad little car
By thorpite on 03/31/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Esteem for 5 years and have never had any major mechanical problems with it and it handles like a champ. I like my little car and it's great in city traffic and tight spots. I moved from Florida to Chicago and was curious to see how it would handle in ice and snow since it is very light and can be hard to handle in high winds. In snow/ice, it slides a lot in turns. The engine can be noisy but I always have the radio on, so it's not an issue for me personally. I replaced the factory CD player because mine stopped reading CDs and my intermittent windshield wipers gave out soon after purchase and now I've noticed that my wipers don't reset themselves when they turn off.

Maintenance
By FYJ on 03/18/07 23:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our car brand new in March of 2001. We now have 251,986 miles on it. The only major repair we needed to make on it was in 2005 when we replaced the ball bearings and in early 2007 when we replaced the water pump. Our car - we call her Suzy Suzuki - has been a great investment for us. Our next car for sure will a Suzuki.

Great Used Car
By Hawkes on 11/19/05 23:39 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Suzuki Esteem used with less than 9,000 miles on it. The engine light went on and it took a while for service to figure out the problem. It ended up being a recall issue. I haven't had a major problem with my car since. I have been getting great mileage, I average 28 around town and 32 on the highway. I am very happy with my purchase.

2001 Suzuki Esteem GLX+ Wagon
By Ryan Grennan on 10/09/05 03:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Esteem GLX Plus 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I'm glad I did my research before finally deciding on my Suzuki Wagon. This wagon is really a hidden gem in the minefield of Ford wagons and the Subaru . None of them can compare to the relibablity of the Esteem. It has the room I needed without sacrificing fuel economy. Best of all, it's subtle sportiness gets compliments from classmates at college while still being respectable at the workplace. This car has never given me any problems and from what I have heard, I don't expect any down the line either.