Used 2001 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

2001 Suzuki Esteem

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

Good family car/ great on fuel
By Mr.Chris

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Traded my gas guzzling Blazer for this car. This is the second esteem I have owned. the first was a 1999. The CV axles are only good it seems for 100- 130k miles. Comfortable, not a powerhouse by any means but good on gas and the A/C is freezing cold. I have almost 150K on it currently and have had really good luck with Suzuki products as a cheaper alternative to Honda with the same reliability. Folks, keep up maintenance to make it last. Simple. Regular oil changes, tune ups etc. That simple. Fun to drive, I have a bad back at age 33 so the firm seats are great. The factory CD player isn't working but the radio does. I really have no complaints. GREAT ON GAS.

Favorite Features

Nice design. Factory stereo has good sound. Heater is HOT and A/C is freezing! Easy to get kids in and out. Fun to drive, handles very well. My girlfriend was very impressed when she borrowed it. Didn't expect it to handle and respond like it does. Trunk has more room than it appears. GAS SIPPER!

Suggested Improvements

Dusty roads. Dust gets in the car from trunk and rear vents over the rear window. Factory CV axles are only good between 90-120K, easy job to replace but still. Factory CD player seems to not last long on these. A little extra road noise but its not a luxury car.

I'd like it to last forever
By dotteddancer

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter bought the 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon in 2004 to drive between college and student teaching. It had 60,000 miles on it. When she graduated I bought it from her to drive to work with 90,000 miles. I have driven it now 5 years and it has 212,000 miles. So far there have been no major repairs required. My husband finds it uncomfortable but I don't have any problems driving it. It is low to the ground and tends to catch flying rocks on the windshield that a taller vehicle would have hit the grill. It averages 30-31 MPG highway, which is the majority of my driving. I would like cruise control. The biggest problem has been an oil leak at the head gasket and the CD doesn't work.

Favorite Features

gas mileage is very good. It will carry anything and I have used it to move to a new home, carry fencing materials, hay and straw and even to take a goat to the vet

Suggested Improvements

The engine is a bit loud and it is so low to the ground that it is uncomfortable to enter and exit.

sub frame
By 724joep

2001 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2001 suzuki esteem wagon bought in 2002 with 4500 miles. as of 10/20/09 it only has 35000 miles on it. Last week we were going to town and the front sub frame just rusted out and broke. Could have been very bad but we were going slow. I called American Suzuki in Ca. and they are looking into it. I hope they man up and help me get it fixed. I have owned Suzuki motorcycles all my life and this is the first car I hope to keep it a long time. So come on American Suzuki and help a guy out.

Best car ever !!
By western mass fan

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new for $10,700 with sticker reading $14,999 and love the car. It's sporty drive (5 speed) and great economy 35 mpg or more place it next to my suzuki motorcyle in fun. Oil changes every 3000 miles and original spark plugs at 93,000 miles and running like a top. Rust is starting on door bottoms, and had to replace the front sub frame this month (big bucks). Still can't complain and wish I could get it back from my daughter.

Favorite Features

Peppiness, styling, A/C and heat, love the daytime running lights for making the little car more visable.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk feels tinny when closing, center vent loose (piece of paper holds it).

Outstanding, Reliable Transportation
By JCRobin

2001 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this little car for almost 6 years and drive it to and from work and around town everyday. It runs flawlessly and is actually kinda fun to drive, for a basic economy car. The engine is the best component, typical as with Suzuki motorcycles. Clarion stero is junk but easily replaced. OK it's not a Lexus but I have had absolutely no problems, it's great on gas and I intend and expect to drive it to 200k+ with only normal good maintenance practices. What more could someone expect from any car especially a value-priced underrated bargain. I will surely buy another Suzuki when the time comes.

Favorite Features

Awesome engine, timing chain, not belt. Very responsive and easy to service. Excellent trans, also.

Suggested Improvements

Suzuki could have done better for their efforts as well as the satisfaction of new and perspective buyers by outfitting and adding more interior comforts and making all models better that just basic function and appearance for the driver. A little better paint and body would be a plus.