2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
2000 Esteem Wagon 1.8, Great Car
By rd400f on 09/18/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon

We bought our Esteem in 1999 but it's an 2000 GLX model. I got the car since my father passed away 6 years ago and now in 2013, it still runs like a champ. I did the brakes pads once and then later on got some aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads and new shoes and drums for the back. In all these 13+ years the car has never broke down on the road but once it didn't start in the garage. it was just the CMP sensor and that's about a 15 minute job for this car. Replaced the Idle Control Valve once, alternator and the struts and besides the regular wear items, tires, battery, belt, It keeps on going. My A/C never had problems since new and always blows cold.

Best car ever, buy one if you can!
By LC on 03/07/10 21:36 PM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

We had our Esteem wagon for 9 years and 168,000 and never regretted buying it. (It was recently totaled in a bad collision, no fault on the Suzuki and we miss it so much!) In those years we had no break-downs, excellent gas mileage, and awesome ability to bring tons of gear (the rear seats lay completely flat). The only problem we had was the outside door handles snapping some piece when it was very cold outside - it was an easy and cheap repair, but you can try to avoid it and just be very careful opening the doors when it's cold. There were no engine or any other problems. Highly recommend this car, even though it is 10 years old.

Great car
By Mike on 02/06/10 18:15 PM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

This has been the best car I have ever owned. They are built in Japan and I understand that they are very popular there. I have only had some routine brake work done and that is it. It just keeps going and going.

Great little wagon
By Cindy on 05/14/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I have had my 2000 Esteem for over 5 years and have had no problems with it. I had the brakes replaced in 2005 but nothing else other than normal oil and filter changes have had to be done. I do not drive as much as most people but with over 76000 now on it I am still not finding that there is a problem. The back seat has been able to sit three kids on a regular basis even though two of them have been adult sized or nearly so. We do not take it long distances and I am sure that would get old with everyone in it but for distances up to an hour this car does fine even with my sons who are 6' tall sitting in the back seat. Fuel economy has a large range but it gets no less than 25 MPG.

What a good surprise!
By Squirrel on 05/26/07 08:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon

Car was two years old and had 30,000 miles on it at purchase. I'd read good reviews, but my expectations were low. I was just looking for a cheap little wagon to drive for a while. I tested a 1.6L, but it was underpowered. The 1.8L is way better. I liked that the 1.8L wouldn't need timing belt replacement, since it has a chain. Well, I've been surprised by how much I love this car. It's cute, extremely peppy, and fits a ton of stuff. It's amazingly reliable. In five years, I've put 30,000 miles on it, mostly vacation driving. We've taken it out on the road for weeks at a time without a worry. It's been from sea level to Colorado mountain tops. It's a champ.

Best cheap car ever!
By MotorMom on 04/16/06 10:47 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon

I'm a car gal. I've owned at least 20, from Porsches to SUVs. We bought this car used with 30,000 miles on it. Our expectations were low, we were just buying a cheap car to drive around town. We love it! We have taken it on road trip vacations for several summers in a row. It is peppy, reliable, gets good mpg and holds a lot of gear. I'm glad these cars weren't "discovered" because it allowed us to pick one up cheap. The GLX package is packed full of features that make it comfortable and pleasant to drive. (AC, CC, moonroof, 6 CD changer, roof racks, etc.) I think this is one of the most under-rated cars I've ever owned.

Suzuki 2000 Esteem Wagon
By Rich on 06/07/05 06:42 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Only general maintenance since purchased 4 yrs ago. Will look to purchase another Suzuki in the future. Only drawback is the limited room in the front driver side. Seats are a bit low for someone under 6 feet, but some added car seat covers helped to correct this flaw while protecting the front seats. No problems with exterior to this point, no rust visible anywhere.

wow.......what a car
By chaser1972 on 05/30/05 15:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon

here we go......this is the same car as in the review above. Now, it has 140000 miles on it(I commute 100 miles toand from work each day). I cannot say enough about this car. In 130k miles, here are my repairs: 4 front brake jobs (including the de-laminated brake pad), replaced front rotors once, 2 sets of tires, I had a stalling problem at around 105k that was the ONLY repair that was not wear-and-tear related. It was a throttle control valve or something. I am on my ORIGINAL rear brakes. It has only not started for me once, so I changed the plugs.this was at 120k. New plugs also cleared the check engine light. I really beat this car. Simply, the best car I have EVER owned.

best car for the buck
By jaeckert on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Purchased 6/2/2000 and I will not part with it. Power is good as sea level BUT could be better in the mountains. (USE 91 OCTANE IN THE MOUNTAINS) Mileage runs about 24 street and 35 in freeways. Handles very well and is stable at all speeds and rides like a larger car.

Durable little beast
By Pete s. on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Well my 85' lincoln died so I walked across rte. 112 to the first dealership i saw and bought this little Esteem. The guys there helped me get financing because my credit sucked at the time. i haven't regretted my impulse buy AT ALL> The esteem's a great little car that I have beat the s^&* out of and took on several long trips ....knock on wood I've had no trouble with it at all. It has some speed too.