2000 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews

2000 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
2000 Esteem Wagon 1.8, Great Car
By rd400f on 09/18/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

We bought our Esteem in 1999 but it's an 2000 GLX model. I got the car since my father passed away 6 years ago and now in 2013, it still runs like a champ. I did the brakes pads once and then later on got some aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads and new shoes and drums for the back. In all these 13+ years the car has never broke down on the road but once it didn't start in the garage. it was just the CMP sensor and that's about a 15 minute job for this car. Replaced the Idle Control Valve once, alternator and the struts and besides the regular wear items, tires, battery, belt, It keeps on going. My A/C never had problems since new and always blows cold.

Good while it lasted.
By jend26 on 02/25/11 11:13 AM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan

Well, bought used from a dealership, and was great at first. Had no problems until a couple months later the electical system started having problems. Radio clock wouldn't light up, and radio would turn off on me. Started idling really high, and the brakes and tires were having to be replaced often, sometimes once a month. I was buying used tires, then when I had the money bought new ones. But even with new ones, they kept leaking for some reason, so would have to put air in quite often. The rotors went bad very quickly also. Don't think the dealership did a good check but that's a gamble we all take when buying a vehicle. Think I payed way too much for it also. $12,000.

Good little car
By Great little on 03/16/10 15:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

It has been a great little car. I know I was not getting a sports car but for what it is I love it. I have taken it on a few long trip and have had no problems. I think the clutch is going out but that is the only thing that has happened. I have driven it like a teenage. I have not been the nicest to it but it still runs great.

Best car ever, buy one if you can!
By LC on 03/07/10 21:36 PM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

We had our Esteem wagon for 9 years and 168,000 and never regretted buying it. (It was recently totaled in a bad collision, no fault on the Suzuki and we miss it so much!) In those years we had no break-downs, excellent gas mileage, and awesome ability to bring tons of gear (the rear seats lay completely flat). The only problem we had was the outside door handles snapping some piece when it was very cold outside - it was an easy and cheap repair, but you can try to avoid it and just be very careful opening the doors when it's cold. There were no engine or any other problems. Highly recommend this car, even though it is 10 years old.

Great car
By Mike on 02/06/10 18:15 PM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This has been the best car I have ever owned. They are built in Japan and I understand that they are very popular there. I have only had some routine brake work done and that is it. It just keeps going and going.

Amazing little thing!
By Spokane on 08/15/08 02:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 with 8,000 miles on it. I Still have the car and now have 130,000 on her. Besides normal oil changes, tires and brake work, the only thing that I have needed to change was the valve cover gaskets! It was a snap! When needed, you have plenty of power. Okay, so it's not a Monte, but what do you expect? It's a little 4 banger! Never once has it not started, and has never stalled on me. All in all, for the money, you get a really good running very realiable car.

Great little wagon
By Cindy on 05/14/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I have had my 2000 Esteem for over 5 years and have had no problems with it. I had the brakes replaced in 2005 but nothing else other than normal oil and filter changes have had to be done. I do not drive as much as most people but with over 76000 now on it I am still not finding that there is a problem. The back seat has been able to sit three kids on a regular basis even though two of them have been adult sized or nearly so. We do not take it long distances and I am sure that would get old with everyone in it but for distances up to an hour this car does fine even with my sons who are 6' tall sitting in the back seat. Fuel economy has a large range but it gets no less than 25 MPG.

Great car!
By Laurak on 04/10/08 20:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner. I bought it in 2000 as a dealer employee car. I paid $9,000.00 for it w/ 45 miles on it. It now has 138,200 and only thing it has had is brakes, battery & tires! Plus regular check-ups! I hate to part with it but the time has come. So will replace with another Suzuki. I am more than happy with the preformance of my Esteem. Great on gas. 36-38 mpg. I certainly got my money's worth! Best car I've ever owned!

What a good surprise!
By Squirrel on 05/26/07 08:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

Car was two years old and had 30,000 miles on it at purchase. I'd read good reviews, but my expectations were low. I was just looking for a cheap little wagon to drive for a while. I tested a 1.6L, but it was underpowered. The 1.8L is way better. I liked that the 1.8L wouldn't need timing belt replacement, since it has a chain. Well, I've been surprised by how much I love this car. It's cute, extremely peppy, and fits a ton of stuff. It's amazingly reliable. In five years, I've put 30,000 miles on it, mostly vacation driving. We've taken it out on the road for weeks at a time without a worry. It's been from sea level to Colorado mountain tops. It's a champ.

Not Horrible
By KC on 02/21/07 21:38 PM (PST)

2000 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 2000 and faithfully do tune ups. I had a problem with the catalytic converter at 48,000 miles. The warranty covered PART of it. Then the catalytic converter went out again. I contacted Suzuki and they would not cover it. I now hear a 'rattling' coming from the engine every time its rpms are over 2,000, which is not so good if you need to pass emissions:)