Used 1999 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

It is a Garbage Car
By Freddy

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

The manual transmission in my Esteem broke down three time times every year, the first time at 56,000 miles, the second at 60,000, and the third at 70,000. After some research I found a lot of people looking for the same transmission in many dierent websites, now what do you think about this car?

None.

Never buy this car...

Wild Winters
By Canadian boy

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I bought my Esteem in 2000 used and have had literally no problems with it. Outside of the standard stuff (brakes, tires...etc) my Esteem has been the best. The key I find is to take proper care and do the oil changes regularly. I now have 130,000 miles on it with no sign of it giving up. It is great on gas but a little under powered with the 1.6L engine. A K&N air filter helps slightly with the power. The A/C is still working although I do re-charge it every year to lube the seals. After 6 years I am just starting to see slight signs of rust, which up here in Canada (we use salt on the roads in winter) is remarkable.

The fairly good cargo area. The back seat holds two baby seats and my 9 year old in the middle. (He prefers the van...lol)

More power...other than that I can't complain.

Great Little Car
By cat

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1999 Suzuki Esteem for five years and it's been wonderful. I had some problems with the CV joints (axles had to be replaced twice) but otherwise never had any kind of problem, other than regular wear and tear stuff like tires and wiper blades. It's fun to drive and is really peppy. It's easy to accelerate onto the highway. I was rear-ended once, and it took the hit well and was fixed back up to perfect shape. It's a very basic car - no cruise control or power anything, but inspite of that, it's a great car. It's a perfect first car for a teenager. Oh, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff you can fit in that trunk when you pull the back seat down!

This car is really peppy and well built. It has great A/C (I live in Arizona and the A/C does well even in the hottest summers!) and the back folding down is a real plus. It gets great gas mileage!

Improve the CV joints. Maybe mine was just goofy or maybe the first person who replaced them didn't know what they were doing, but I think going through two sets of axles in five years is a little much.

Green Machine
By Big A

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this '99 Esteem in '04 with 114k miles on it and have put about 10k miles on it in 5 months. I'm really amazed at this car, it has alot of technology packed in, and gets great gas mileage, and can carry alot of stuff. It's needed some minor repairs, wheel bearing, and tie rod end, and sputters @ low rpm under hard acceleration, but those are livable. I am tall and this car feels a little like a go cart, and lacks any real comfort on long trips. W/o cruise control my leg tends to cramp after a couple of hours of continious driving. And it's hell getting in and out. I'm not sure I even like this car but it was the right price and keeps running.

Excellent on gas, handles well in the snow w/ front wheel drive. Fun to drive in traffic, zips in and out, easy to park. Decent payload in trunk and back seat area (folds down). Modern styling of interior exterior.

Lacks any real punch during excelleration. No luxuries inside like cruise, power windows, etc. Expensive hard to find parts. Uncomfortable unless your 5' tall.

Suzuki Esteem 1999
By Tnnn

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

Car of limited range. Builders had
economy in mind with this car but the
price commensurates. Car performed
admirably to 60k miles when
transmission needed to be replaced.
Repair cost 1/10th of purchase price.