1999 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Wild Winters
By Canadian boy on 08/04/06 13:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I bought my Esteem in 2000 used and have had literally no problems with it. Outside of the standard stuff (brakes, tires...etc) my Esteem has been the best. The key I find is to take proper care and do the oil changes regularly. I now have 130,000 miles on it with no sign of it giving up. It is great on gas but a little under powered with the 1.6L engine. A K&N air filter helps slightly with the power. The A/C is still working although I do re-charge it every year to lube the seals. After 6 years I am just starting to see slight signs of rust, which up here in Canada (we use salt on the roads in winter) is remarkable.

Great Little Car
By cat on 11/30/05 19:01 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1999 Suzuki Esteem for five years and it's been wonderful. I had some problems with the CV joints (axles had to be replaced twice) but otherwise never had any kind of problem, other than regular wear and tear stuff like tires and wiper blades. It's fun to drive and is really peppy. It's easy to accelerate onto the highway. I was rear-ended once, and it took the hit well and was fixed back up to perfect shape. It's a very basic car - no cruise control or power anything, but inspite of that, it's a great car. It's a perfect first car for a teenager. Oh, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff you can fit in that trunk when you pull the back seat down!

Green Machine
By Big A on 01/30/05 17:18 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this '99 Esteem in '04 with 114k miles on it and have put about 10k miles on it in 5 months. I'm really amazed at this car, it has alot of technology packed in, and gets great gas mileage, and can carry alot of stuff. It's needed some minor repairs, wheel bearing, and tie rod end, and sputters @ low rpm under hard acceleration, but those are livable. I am tall and this car feels a little like a go cart, and lacks any real comfort on long trips. W/o cruise control my leg tends to cramp after a couple of hours of continious driving. And it's hell getting in and out. I'm not sure I even like this car but it was the right price and keeps running.

Suzuki Esteem 1999
By Tnnn on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

Car of limited range. Builders had economy in mind with this car but the price commensurates. Car performed admirably to 60k miles when transmission needed to be replaced. Repair cost 1/10th of purchase price.

Esteem Wagon
By Ronnie B on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

When I bought the esteem wagon, I was just looking for a beat around town car on that got good gas milage, But what I got was an excellrnt Family car that had room inside, was easy to get in and out of, and drove far better than the large car that i own also. I had heard so many good things about the Suzuki line of cars, but You really have to experience it first hand. I'm sure you will feel like do also. The Suzuki Esteem wagon is the best small car I have ever had the pleasure to drive. The only draw back I have found in the car is that when it is cold it is very sluggish in changing gears, but other than that everything else works great on the auto.

not good
By unhappy123 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this because i liked the shine on the car hich was a major mistake. I cannot fill the gas as it keeps kicking the gas nozzle out. I have to do it very slowly and takes about 30 minutes to fill up. Thats right no exxagaration - 30 minutes! Engine is low. Pick up is less! Battery dies on me. Interior is giving up at the seams.

99 Suzuki Esteem
By Sunny Day on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is reliable, roomy, and the fuel economy is excellent. It handles great in the snow and the heater works quickly and efficiently. The air-conditioning works well and pickup is never a problem. Although, I want my Esteem to last forever, when it comes time to buy another car I'll buy another Suzuki in a heartbeat!

Inexpensive Great Car
By bigjd on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

Great car for the money. I am 6'2 235 lbs and have not had any problems with comfort. I drive 40 miles one way to work every day and have put 60,000 miles on in 2 years. Never had any mechanical problems. Just change oil and fill her up! Have been regularly getting 34-36 mpg.

A great car that seems to be undervalued
By Gia on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This is an extremely reliable car that performs well. I remain puzzled as to why it seems so underrated. In my third year with this car, I find it's pick-up to be excellent - as fine as that of my former Honda. I have only had minor repairs to date, and have over 66,000 miles on the car. The new small wagons don't compare in terms of cargo capacity. I travel comfortably with 2 cats and a dog in this car.

Great Car!
By axelrose on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been great! Has cost next to nothing to maintain over the last three years. I purchased new and was rather skeptical at first but, warmed up to the Esteem in short order. In the last three years all I have done is change the oil every 3000 to 8000 miles and put gas in it. Car has performed like a trooper since day one. My only complaint is that I don't have a five speed in it. The automatic is not quite as spirited. It can also be somewhat uncomfortable on long trips unless you stretch every 400 miles or so. Highway gas mileage is damn near 40mpg at an average cruising speed of 70mph! I recommend this car