1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Excellent Car
By Excellent Car on 08/09/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This was my first car; my parents gave it to me in high school and I've been driving it every since. I have 148,000 miles on it & haven't had any major problems besides an axle replacement. I am amazed by the reliability and gas mileage. Truly an exceptional car.

this car rocks!
By landon on 04/03/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car ten months ago. i have NEVER had a problem with this car. i have studied automotive technology so i know what would be bad about this car. i have never had this car in the shop other than tires and oil change. i am ninteen years old and i run this car very hard. people dont know what they are talking about when they talk bad about this car. changing oil and servicing the car normally will keep it going. dont brag on other cars that you service and rag on this one because you choose not to service it and it stops running. this car is better than any honda, subaru, or toyota. my car is a 1.6L 5spd with cold air intake and gets 42mpg. this car will fly! suzuki delivers.

Bigger engine, better trans for 2001
By MANUEL on 09/26/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

All in all a good light fun to drive vehicle. Excellent mpg. Had 3 manual transmision repairs. I also met some owners with the same problem. Suzuki did address this with the 1.8 engine which I later swapped, could really feel the extra 27 horses in a 2200 pound car.

I still love my Suzi
By Nikyma on 10/20/07 21:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new off the lot 8 years ago. I still love it. In all this time, all that I've had to do is oil changes and replace tires, brakes and a battery. I've considered getting a newer car, but there's nothing wrong with this one. I'm at 115,000 miles and still no major repairs. In these days of high gas prices, I love that I can still fill the tank for under $40.00 and it will take me everywhere I need to go for a week. I'm keeping this car until it dies. I have a feeling that's going to be a long time.

Hate It
By cody on 03/12/07 18:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I hate this car. I have had so many things go wrong with it. The front subframe rusted out. The CV's went out. This all happened within a four month time span. My '88 Honda is in a lot better shape and it's eleven years older then it.

Great Little Car
By cat on 11/30/05 19:01 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1999 Suzuki Esteem for five years and it's been wonderful. I had some problems with the CV joints (axles had to be replaced twice) but otherwise never had any kind of problem, other than regular wear and tear stuff like tires and wiper blades. It's fun to drive and is really peppy. It's easy to accelerate onto the highway. I was rear-ended once, and it took the hit well and was fixed back up to perfect shape. It's a very basic car - no cruise control or power anything, but inspite of that, it's a great car. It's a perfect first car for a teenager. Oh, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff you can fit in that trunk when you pull the back seat down!

Green Machine
By Big A on 01/30/05 17:18 PM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this '99 Esteem in '04 with 114k miles on it and have put about 10k miles on it in 5 months. I'm really amazed at this car, it has alot of technology packed in, and gets great gas mileage, and can carry alot of stuff. It's needed some minor repairs, wheel bearing, and tie rod end, and sputters @ low rpm under hard acceleration, but those are livable. I am tall and this car feels a little like a go cart, and lacks any real comfort on long trips. W/o cruise control my leg tends to cramp after a couple of hours of continious driving. And it's hell getting in and out. I'm not sure I even like this car but it was the right price and keeps running.

not good
By unhappy123 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this because i liked the shine on the car hich was a major mistake. I cannot fill the gas as it keeps kicking the gas nozzle out. I have to do it very slowly and takes about 30 minutes to fill up. Thats right no exxagaration - 30 minutes! Engine is low. Pick up is less! Battery dies on me. Interior is giving up at the seams.

99 Suzuki Esteem
By Sunny Day on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is reliable, roomy, and the fuel economy is excellent. It handles great in the snow and the heater works quickly and efficiently. The air-conditioning works well and pickup is never a problem. Although, I want my Esteem to last forever, when it comes time to buy another car I'll buy another Suzuki in a heartbeat!

Inexpensive Great Car
By bigjd on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Great car for the money. I am 6'2 235 lbs and have not had any problems with comfort. I drive 40 miles one way to work every day and have put 60,000 miles on in 2 years. Never had any mechanical problems. Just change oil and fill her up! Have been regularly getting 34-36 mpg.