1999 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews

1999 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Had it since new, and I love it!
By christina67 on 07/19/13 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new. It is now 14 years old. Nearly 100,000 miles on it. I've had no issues with it. It has been a wonderful car for me. I own the station wagon model 1.8L auto. Only just recently does it need a major new part: a radiator. Literally, this car has been the best car I have ever owned. So many negative reviews on here I see, but let's face it, if you buy a very used car there might be issues with it, ya know. I only wished I had bought it with cruise control. It has everything else. It rides louder than fancier cars that I have ridden in, but it has outlasted those others. I've taken care of my car over the years, and I would not hesitate to buy another Suzuki in the future.

Rusted and Busted
By Magicdog39 on 04/30/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This car was bought used. All the CV joints needed replacement three years ago. The outer on the right side exploded and left my wife stranded miles from home. Shortly after this the sub frame just fell apart from rust. The new sub frame just fell apart from rust last week just like the first one did. We also have had to replace the radiator and heater core. I have also had to put six outer door handles on this junk car. Right now brand new brake rotors, and lower control/ball joints are on the way by UPS for it. Parts for this car are expensive. Don't buy one even if its the last car on earth! Next month I will be buying a nice used Honda.

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car on 08/09/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This was my first car; my parents gave it to me in high school and I've been driving it every since. I have 148,000 miles on it & haven't had any major problems besides an axle replacement. I am amazed by the reliability and gas mileage. Truly an exceptional car.

this car rocks!
By landon on 04/03/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car ten months ago. i have NEVER had a problem with this car. i have studied automotive technology so i know what would be bad about this car. i have never had this car in the shop other than tires and oil change. i am ninteen years old and i run this car very hard. people dont know what they are talking about when they talk bad about this car. changing oil and servicing the car normally will keep it going. dont brag on other cars that you service and rag on this one because you choose not to service it and it stops running. this car is better than any honda, subaru, or toyota. my car is a 1.6L 5spd with cold air intake and gets 42mpg. this car will fly! suzuki delivers.

Bigger engine, better trans for 2001
By MANUEL on 09/26/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

All in all a good light fun to drive vehicle. Excellent mpg. Had 3 manual transmision repairs. I also met some owners with the same problem. Suzuki did address this with the 1.8 engine which I later swapped, could really feel the extra 27 horses in a 2200 pound car.

Very reliable.
By Steve on 07/10/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This car never breaks down. Very reliable. Very low maintenance car. Can run 200k with some work.

I still love my Suzi
By Nikyma on 10/20/07 21:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new off the lot 8 years ago. I still love it. In all this time, all that I've had to do is oil changes and replace tires, brakes and a battery. I've considered getting a newer car, but there's nothing wrong with this one. I'm at 115,000 miles and still no major repairs. In these days of high gas prices, I love that I can still fill the tank for under $40.00 and it will take me everywhere I need to go for a week. I'm keeping this car until it dies. I have a feeling that's going to be a long time.

Hate It
By cody on 03/12/07 18:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I hate this car. I have had so many things go wrong with it. The front subframe rusted out. The CV's went out. This all happened within a four month time span. My '88 Honda is in a lot better shape and it's eleven years older then it.

Inexpensive Contemporary Wagon
By DKour on 10/08/06 04:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I am ompletely impressed with this vehicle. I purchased it used for very little money from an owner that took good mechanical care of it. Cosmetically it could have been better but all his records were there. I have never had a major issue with it, just routine maintenance. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. The ride is a little crude, but when it comes to large bumps the suspension soakes it up with surprise. Its handling is sporty. Compared to other wagons that I tested, this thing is fun. Its cargo capacity is great. Its seats fold totally flat, I carried a week's woth of camping gear and was still able to cover the rear contents with the cargo shade. I'll have to continue to carry my 8 foot kayak inside the car untill I get the roofrack adapters that I need.

It is a Garbage Car
By Freddy on 08/18/06 23:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

The manual transmission in my Esteem broke down three time times every year, the first time at 56,000 miles, the second at 60,000, and the third at 70,000. After some research I found a lot of people looking for the same transmission in many dierent websites, now what do you think about this car?