Used 1999 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

Great First Car
By Katy Pearl

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used three years ago with 150 miles on it. It was just going to be to get back and forth to school but when my husbands car broke down this reliable machine became the family car and it has never failed and just over $20 filled the tank when gas was $400 a gallon. I could get 600 or more miles out of a tank of gas as well. Sweet little car.

Had it since new, and I love it!
By christina67

1999 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new. It is now 14 years old. Nearly 100,000 miles on it. I've had no issues with it. It has been a wonderful car for me. I own the station wagon model 1.8L auto. Only just recently does it need a major new part: a radiator. Literally, this car has been the best car I have ever owned. So many negative reviews on here I see, but let's face it, if you buy a very used car there might be issues with it, ya know. I only wished I had bought it with cruise control. It has everything else. It rides louder than fancier cars that I have ridden in, but it has outlasted those others. I've taken care of my car over the years, and I would not hesitate to buy another Suzuki in the future.

I love the station wagon style. When my son was a teenager, I had a car load of kids in it daily, and it held up well to all of it. I've moved a handful of times over the years and it hauls things in the back area really well...lots of room. Good on gas.

None.

Rusted and Busted
By Magicdog39

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This car was bought used. All the CV joints needed replacement three years ago. The outer on the right side exploded and left my wife stranded miles from home. Shortly after this the sub frame just fell apart from rust. The new sub frame just fell apart from rust last week just like the first one did. We also have had to replace the radiator and heater core. I have also had to put six outer door handles on this junk car. Right now brand new brake rotors, and lower control/ball joints are on the way by UPS for it. Parts for this car are expensive. Don't buy one even if its the last car on earth! Next month I will be buying a nice used Honda.

The aftermarket Sony CD player, and Polk speakers that I put in the car myself are nice.

What can I say. This car needs work in most every area. This will never happen. Spend your money buying some other known good brand.

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This was my first car; my parents gave it to me in high school and I've been driving it every since. I have 148,000 miles on it & haven't had any major problems besides an axle replacement. I am amazed by the reliability and gas mileage. Truly an exceptional car.

Gas Mileage, reliability, low cost for maintenance

Interior: a sunroom, digital cd player

this car rocks!
By landon

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car ten months ago. i have NEVER had a problem with this car. i have studied automotive technology so i know what would be bad about this car. i have never had this car in the shop other than tires and oil change. i am ninteen years old and i run this car very hard. people dont know what they are talking about when they talk bad about this car. changing oil and servicing the car normally will keep it going. dont brag on other cars that you service and rag on this one because you choose not to service it and it stops running. this car is better than any honda, subaru, or toyota. my car is a 1.6L 5spd with cold air intake and gets 42mpg. this car will fly! suzuki delivers.

all. mpg. power. great power for 1.6L engine. will pass with ease.

lower to the ground.