1998 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Review: Great first car

1998 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Review

GLX SE Wagon (1.6L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Great first car
By anthonypavone on

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX SE 4dr Wagon

I got this as my first car about six months ago with 134,000 miles on it for about $1,500 not including tax and such. The first time i saw it, i thought it was a subaru legacy. It took a lot of getting used to after driving my mothers 2007 Trailblazer since i started driving but now i hate driving anything else. The engine has very little power and its a little loud but once you get up to speed it holds it very well. Definitely doesn't compare to my friends mustang. The turning radius is fantastic. The rides pretty comfortable. The interior is pretty average. But the best part is that with so many miles, i haven't had any problems; other than my alternator dying at 140,000.

Favorite Features

Styling, Drive quality, build quality, sunroof, power windows/locks, cruise control, much bigger truck than you would think. Rust free. Drives beautifully minus the lack of engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Not that it matters since its been discontinued for ten years. But the cupholders are awful. The 1.4 engine is so slow at accelerating. Everybody thinks its a Subaru. Speedometer only goes up to 95. (and goes up by 5's... 15, 25, 35, 45... et cetera. The ac/heat control panel has NO lights so its hard to control at night. The drivers side headlight is fogged over so much its like its not even on. And to top it off you can't even take the lens off.