1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
206,000 miles and still getting 30+ per gallon
By oheggy on 04/13/12 01:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

purchased a 1998 in 2000 with 44,000 miles on it it now has 206,000 miles on it. never had any major repairs. Just now needing its first new clutch and struts. All other repairs brakes, cv joints were due to mileage. Handles well in all seasons. I have been rear ended 4 times and minimal damage, never needed any body shop attention. The accidents never effected drivability. The driver handle clip broke getting that fixed. Will drive it till it quits and at this pace expect it to go for another 200,000 miles. I have run thru only 4 sets of tires. My car is 14 years old, I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4x4 that is a 1998 and only has 147,000 on it.

Completely Love this car
By cubyogi on 08/30/10 15:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years, I absolutely love it. More reliable than a horse. Never had any problems at all, and absolutely fun to drive. I live in Michigan, and I've learned to have rust proofing on any future cars. I have to consider selling my Suzuki because the undercarriage is starting to rust.

She ain't fancy, but she runs!
By Coastal Carolina on 04/26/07 10:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Let's see... no power windows, no power locks, no cruise control. But guess what? No problems, either! My GL wagon is about as basic of a vehicle you can get, but in two years has never had one single incident. The five speed helps to milk the mileage out of the little four-banger, to be sure. Interior isn't luxurious and much past 75 MPH is too much. But as a daily commuter (and a paid-for one at that), it isn't all bad. Get in, fire it up and drive off with no concerns or worries. My kind of car!

a pleasant ride
By spp on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I bought the car five years ago with 8 miles on it. It was paid off (5 yr/4.9 apr through american suzuki credit) last month and I just got the title. It is a very reliable car, great gas mileage. I have changed two front brake pads last summer at 75k mile, no other mechanic job was needed after 5 cold winters in New Hampshire. Now it has 80k miles on it and still runs great. Too bad it is discontinued after 2002.

Good Enough
By A Orsi on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car one year ago with 50,000 miles and have driven it to 75,000 miles. It is a noisy ride, the radio doesn't work well, interior plastic is cheap, the heat shields ALL rattle. at 55k i replaced driverside tie rod at 75k i replaced passenger side tie rod. Other than that , no problems. Brakes last a LONG time. Engine is very simple and runs A1. Extremely reliable. There is no luxury. But it's cheap and reliable.