Used 1998 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

Great first car
By anthonypavone

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX SE 4dr Wagon

I got this as my first car about six months ago with 134,000 miles on it for about $1,500 not including tax and such. The first time i saw it, i thought it was a subaru legacy. It took a lot of getting used to after driving my mothers 2007 Trailblazer since i started driving but now i hate driving anything else. The engine has very little power and its a little loud but once you get up to speed it holds it very well. Definitely doesn't compare to my friends mustang. The turning radius is fantastic. The rides pretty comfortable. The interior is pretty average. But the best part is that with so many miles, i haven't had any problems; other than my alternator dying at 140,000.

Styling, Drive quality, build quality, sunroof, power windows/locks, cruise control, much bigger truck than you would think. Rust free. Drives beautifully minus the lack of engine power.

Not that it matters since its been discontinued for ten years. But the cupholders are awful. The 1.4 engine is so slow at accelerating. Everybody thinks its a Subaru. Speedometer only goes up to 95. (and goes up by 5's... 15, 25, 35, 45... et cetera. The ac/heat control panel has NO lights so its hard to control at night. The drivers side headlight is fogged over so much its like its not even on. And to top it off you can't even take the lens off.

206,000 miles and still getting 30+ per gallon
By oheggy

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

purchased a 1998 in 2000 with 44,000 miles on it it now has 206,000 miles on it. never had any major repairs. Just now needing its first new clutch and struts. All other repairs brakes, cv joints were due to mileage. Handles well in all seasons. I have been rear ended 4 times and minimal damage, never needed any body shop attention. The accidents never effected drivability. The driver handle clip broke getting that fixed. Will drive it till it quits and at this pace expect it to go for another 200,000 miles. I have run thru only 4 sets of tires. My car is 14 years old, I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4x4 that is a 1998 and only has 147,000 on it.

The front seats fold back flat so I can sleep in the car when traveling save on motels. Back seat folds down 40 /60 split or whole seat makes for great storage space. gas mileage is great

maybe a bit higher clearance, have a standard size spare instead of dounut, other than that nothing else comes to mind

Completely Love this car
By cubyogi

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years, I absolutely love it. More reliable than a horse. Never had any problems at all, and absolutely fun to drive. I live in Michigan, and I've learned to have rust proofing on any future cars. I have to consider selling my Suzuki because the undercarriage is starting to rust.

Gas mileage is great, 28 MPG city, reliability, great in the snow, roomy interior for a small car

put the cup holders some place else

Good first car
By BrianS

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I had the 5 spd manual and loved it! Gas mileage 35-38. Tranny needed adjusting at 140k and then finally went out at 170K. New brakes were put on. Other than that I made few repairs on it.

Gas mileage by far. Comfortable.

Cheaply made but for good reason. It's just a car to get from point A to point B and that it did. Old interior.

Great Car
By Kay

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 10 years. I rarely had any repair work done on it and it is great on gas. Nothing fancy but very reliable and enjoyable.

It was a good driving car with great mileage.

It needed to have a simple radio. The radio was complicated to use.