1998 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews

1998 Suzuki Esteem - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:
Great first car
By anthonypavone on 09/26/13 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX SE 4dr Wagon

I got this as my first car about six months ago with 134,000 miles on it for about $1,500 not including tax and such. The first time i saw it, i thought it was a subaru legacy. It took a lot of getting used to after driving my mothers 2007 Trailblazer since i started driving but now i hate driving anything else. The engine has very little power and its a little loud but once you get up to speed it holds it very well. Definitely doesn't compare to my friends mustang. The turning radius is fantastic. The rides pretty comfortable. The interior is pretty average. But the best part is that with so many miles, i haven't had any problems; other than my alternator dying at 140,000.

206,000 miles and still getting 30+ per gallon
By oheggy on 04/13/12 01:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

purchased a 1998 in 2000 with 44,000 miles on it it now has 206,000 miles on it. never had any major repairs. Just now needing its first new clutch and struts. All other repairs brakes, cv joints were due to mileage. Handles well in all seasons. I have been rear ended 4 times and minimal damage, never needed any body shop attention. The accidents never effected drivability. The driver handle clip broke getting that fixed. Will drive it till it quits and at this pace expect it to go for another 200,000 miles. I have run thru only 4 sets of tires. My car is 14 years old, I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4x4 that is a 1998 and only has 147,000 on it.

Completely Love this car
By cubyogi on 08/30/10 15:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for nearly 9 years, I absolutely love it. More reliable than a horse. Never had any problems at all, and absolutely fun to drive. I live in Michigan, and I've learned to have rust proofing on any future cars. I have to consider selling my Suzuki because the undercarriage is starting to rust.

Good first car
By BrianS on 08/01/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I had the 5 spd manual and loved it! Gas mileage 35-38. Tranny needed adjusting at 140k and then finally went out at 170K. New brakes were put on. Other than that I made few repairs on it.

Great Car
By Kay on 01/27/09 19:13 PM (PST)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 10 years. I rarely had any repair work done on it and it is great on gas. Nothing fancy but very reliable and enjoyable.

She ain't fancy, but she runs!
By Coastal Carolina on 04/26/07 10:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

Let's see... no power windows, no power locks, no cruise control. But guess what? No problems, either! My GL wagon is about as basic of a vehicle you can get, but in two years has never had one single incident. The five speed helps to milk the mileage out of the little four-banger, to be sure. Interior isn't luxurious and much past 75 MPH is too much. But as a daily commuter (and a paid-for one at that), it isn't all bad. Get in, fire it up and drive off with no concerns or worries. My kind of car!

Never Again
By alm on 09/22/06 13:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I hated this car. I spent so much on repairs, it was getting to where I would pay $200-$300 a month on repairs, the equivelent of what a car payment would be. This was when the car was only four years old. It finally died for good in 2003 and life has been so much better since. I drive Hondas now and I will never go back.

My first serious car
By Adamsofi on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Sedan

I love this car. My next car will be probably also Suzuki...

Good Choice
By suzuki driver on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

We were reluctant to buying the suzuki at first because of the concern of a poor resale value. Don't worry, buy one now. It has been, by far, the most reliable car i have ever owned. My explorer has more problems, and it has less mileage and is a year newer. The car has decent acceleration, and driving is a blast. Plus, the car is extremely cheap. You cant buy many 1- year old cars with 16,000 miles for $6500 bucks. No regrets. Nothing but recomendations.

a pleasant ride
By spp on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

I bought the car five years ago with 8 miles on it. It was paid off (5 yr/4.9 apr through american suzuki credit) last month and I just got the title. It is a very reliable car, great gas mileage. I have changed two front brake pads last summer at 75k mile, no other mechanic job was needed after 5 cold winters in New Hampshire. Now it has 80k miles on it and still runs great. Too bad it is discontinued after 2002.