Used 2009 Suzuki Equator Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Suzuki Equator - Consumer Reviews

2009 Suzuki Equator

View reviews for a specific Equator model:

In the NYC area Nissan only offers 4.0 L
By Mr.G

2009 Suzuki Equator Premium 4dr Extended Cab 6 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

After considering the Frontier first, during the cash for clunkers period, I learned that Suzuki offers the same vehicle with 2.5L engine, I traded a v8 engine 5.0L/4X4. I wanted a engine, cut in half, to improve the mileage (10mpg), instead, the only engine offer in the neighboring area of 8 Nissan dealers was 4.0L. The vehicle's 1st trip was to my getaway cabin in the Catskill area. It took some learning to deal with transmission on long hill climbs, but it handled well, I brought a 1/2" rubber mat, preferred over the spray on mat and hitch attachment to chassis was simple to install with 6 bolts on chassis, all the wiring connection are right there by the bumper area, simple! Great Truck.

Favorite Features

curtain safety bags, easy access to engine component area, better seat material on premium package

Suggested Improvements

Increase 5 gear ratio, & offer cargo topcover, it will improve mileage.

Premium Ride
By Roger

2009 Suzuki Equator Premium 4dr Extended Cab 6 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my new Equator 2 weeks now. With the big 16 inch tires and aloy wheels, it rides like a big ruck.So far combind mpg is 20. Things they could improve on are: Should have offered the V-6 in the "premium. Plastic flimsy glove box and door. Gas door is not remote and can be opened by anyone on the outside. No trip computer unless you buy the "sport model. Dash lights illumination level is fixed and cannot be changed. Auto/manual shift is nice feature. Mud guards; bed liner and other items all extras also. This truck in the premium package should offer more as standard features especially for the price of this model. Needs improvement if Suzuki stays in the truck business.

Favorite Features

sliding rear window, Large 16 inch wheels and raised letter tires. Remote mirrors; and cargo light is on timer with the inside light.

Suggested Improvements

Should offer the V-6 in the premium model. Replace flimsy plastic glove box and door. Install remote operated gas filler door. Mud guards should be standard not an option, (cheap Improvements) Install bed liner and tow package.

Hidden Gem
By Chtyan

2009 Suzuki Equator Premium 4dr Extended Cab 6 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I was shopping and didn't even know that Suzuki had a truck, I was looking at a Nissan frontier and after researching, I found out the equator was a frontier and the price was about the same but there are a few distinct differences 1-the better powertrain warranty 7 yr 100,000 miles vs 5 yr 60,000 miles 2-you get the better looking alloy wheels instead of the steel wheels 3- I think the grill is a lot better looking I've had this truck for 2 weeks now and I have to say I'm a very satisfied person. I'm 6,3 and their is plenty of room for me. I would suggest to anyone to take a hard look at the Suzuki equator.

Favorite Features

Smooth riding,smooth shifting A/T,seats firm and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

MAP LIGHTS

Solid Truck
By James

2009 Suzuki Equator Comfort 4dr Extended Cab 6 ft. SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently just replaced my totalled 2009 Toyota Tacoma with a 2009 Suzuki Equator. I could not pass up the incredible rebates and the fact that the Equator is essentially a Nissan Frontier. My only complaint with the truck is that the 5th gear is too low which leads to higher cruising RPMs. I assume the Equator would get the same mileage as the Tacoma if it had a higher 5th gear. Overall, excellent truck. Well worth the purchase price! Also, get a sprayed-on bed liner...looks great with this addition.

Favorite Features

ground clearance and price

Suggested Improvements

raise 5th gear

great truck
By terry m

2009 Suzuki Equator Sport 4dr Crew Cab 5 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this truck after looking at a number of others,the Tacoma and the Frontier.I'm 6'2" and the Tacoma just didn't have the head room as the other two had.the Suzuki is made by nissan but has a better warranty,all of the air bags(which are an option with Nissan) and cost $2000 less.The drivers seat is a good fit but the passenger seat has to much lumbar support .We've been averging around 21 mpg with 70/30 highway city driving.The truck has plenty of power and the ride is very good.I can even sit in the back seat,it's tight for me but kids would fit nicely.The bed comes with a sprayed on liner which is a nice cost savings.Great truck for the money.

Favorite Features

The looks and the 4.0 liter engine good power and good MPG

Suggested Improvements

Heated side mirrors and a more comfortable passenger seat