Wow, I Get To Be The First Reviewer
By the_craw on
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I purchased the Hybrid Touring about a month ago, and have over 1,400 miles on it. For context, I live in the Northeast, and the weather has been brutal pretty much each day since I've owned it. The car drives really nicely. It is quiet, and the steering has good feedback without being overly stiff. It also has a nice exterior look. Traction has been great. As far as the mileage, it has been disappointing. It has averaged about 27 MPG. Like I said, the weather has been really cold, and it is only 1,400 miles, so that might be holding it back. Even with highway only trips I have not been able to average over 29MPG, and I'm not a super fast driver.
Favorite Features
1. Ride quality and look and feel of the car. 2. Getting better mileage than my 2007 IS250 (that averaged 25MPG in similar driving) and my wife's 2006 Forester (22MPG, with near no highway driving). We live in a very hilly area. 3. Aha has been useful, and built in Satellite and HD radio is good. 4. A really nice size for me. Big enough to handle a good amount of luggage and groceries, but still pretty compact.
Suggested Improvements
1. Speakers are HORRIBLE. I did not know they made speakers this bad anymore. 2. The GPS works sometimes, but often gets confused and has no idea where you are. I am glad I did not follow its repeated instructions to make a right turn while I was in the middle of a bridge. Took much more work then it should have to get Subaru to agree to replace it. Will update post once it is replaced to show whether I had a lemon or if it is just a lousy GPS. 3. Car should come with standard HomeLink and mud flaps at this price. It's not big money, but annoying. 4. No good place to store sunglasses.
By orangelebaron
on 01/28/14 08:27 AM (PST)

Thank You for the review. I have been checking every week for a consumer review! I too live in this frigid NE; in the suburbs of NYC.... so my city driving is NOT going to be the same as Omaha "city" driving. When people in and around NYC say city driving we mean sitting in traffic and racing to the next red light... over and over again. So my 2005 Outback non-turbo has been averaging 16.2 mpg. The trip computer lies at 17.4 mpg. Anyway... 27 mpg doesn't sound tooooo bad if it is the same type of driving I do.... as long as the hybrid isn't more than $3000 more. My friend's Lexus CT200h Hybrid gets 36mpg in the winter to 44mpg in the summer. But it's really not that fun to drive, and it's kind of cramped. And yes... Subaru has been known for crappy stereos on the Impreza and they are stingy when it comes to things like sunglass holders/map pockets.

By the_craw
on 02/21/14 03:45 AM (PST)

I wrote this review, and figured I would provide an update as I am approaching 3,000 miles. I still have not gotten the radio/GPS replaced. According to the dealer, there are issues in getting it from Subaru (we are approaching a month since they agreed to switch it). The delay makes me think that there may be systemic issues with the unit and that the problems I am seeing are not unique to me. MPG is similar to what I initially wrote.