Disappointed with my first Subaru
By ndw on
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've actually had an entirely different experience with my Crosstrek Hybrid, other than I can agree with another user's problems with the navigation. There are so many rattles, all over the car. The worst is with the plastic covering the speedometer and tachometer displays. People who ride in my car say things like, "Doesn't that noise drive you crazy?" Mine was delivered in November, so I wonder if it's early off the manufacturing line and those problems have been worked out. Subaru has been most unhelpful in resolving my issues - this will be my last Subaru.
Favorite Features
I get between 28 and 33 MPGs for mixed city and highway driving over the course of a tank of gas, as long as I'm careful, watch the gauge and drive calmly. The car looks great. I have the green one, touring edition, and get asked about it pretty often. I don't have a problem with power getting up the hills. It also seems to have some pretty good systems for deciding that I really need some extra power to get out of a sticky situation, and adds the electric motor to the gas engine.
Suggested Improvements
The paint is very delicate. My Honda went years before the paint was a nicked up as my Crosstrek is after 6 months. The navigation system is awful. It can't determine its position in cities, and appears not to have a compass, cached location or be tied into the speed of the car to make a good guess - all features of Honda's navigation system as far back as 2005. The computer is underpowered. If you get off course in a city, the routes will not be able to recalculate fast enough before the next recalculation is needed. Zooming in or out while the car is moving take 8-10 seconds before the tap on the screen is even recognized. And the rattles. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.