Traded a turbo monster, and haven't looked back
By mike_in_nepa on
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
For the last 10 years, I've had various turbocharged vehicles, some of which were modded. I grew tired of temperamental turbos, having too much power in slow traffic, and spending ungodly sums of cash fueling them up. I just needed a reliable AWD vehicle that can get me around in the mountains throughout the winter months, ground clearance, get good fuel economy, and can stand up to my outdoorsy lifestyle. So far, I have 1000 miles and have been very impressed with this vehicle. I find it very peppy, and find the 145 hp rating deceiving. This climbs up mountain roads feeling sprightly, and never gives even a hint of losing steam. At 75 mph, I get about 30-32 mpg. Love it.
Favorite Features
I love the paddle shifters. I find this feature to be invaluable in the mountains. It quickly downsifts through the CVT ratios, and is great at engine braking instead of riding on the brakes for 2-3 miles on long downhills. The seating comfort and outward visibility are excellent. My last vehicle felt like I was trying to look out tank slights. I absolutely love the orange color. Subaru is known for some rather drab colors, but the orange is bright and lively. Great handling, it's actually a lot of fun to drive, and quite nimble. Ride comfort is excellent. Almost 9" of ground clearance. Rubberized dash, rubberized floor mats, rubberized seat back for muddy stuff.
Suggested Improvements
1) Interior noise 2) less wind noise picked up by mic on handsfree bluetooth 3) Audio system. Needs to be at about 18 to just hear it clearly at highway speeds. Zero bass with the Kicker Tweeters and Kicker Upgraded Speakers. Kicker Subwoofer accessory is expensive, takes up 1/3 cargo space, drowns out all of the other speakers, and sounds absolutely terrible. Subaru needs to bring back the underseat Subwoofer accessory.