I Love THIS car!
By holderad on
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I love my 2014 Plasma Green Crosstrek Hybrid. My one word description: Awesome! The hybrid system works significantly better than any hybrid I test drove. It is used for power / torque augmentation more than fully powering the car most of the time. I think Subaru under-reported their MPG figures on purpose. The car is not even broken in, and I'm getting almost 38 MPG highway and so far about 31.7 MPG with downtown driving. The car does some kinda magic with the CVT and that electric motor. It is seamless. The car has "the pull" at all speeds that it's all gas brother just doesn't. I mean, you can feel the surge at highway speeds when you stand on it to pass. The symmetrical AWD is fantastic!
Favorite Features
Beyond the mpgs and performance, it is disturbingly quiet. If you have driven a gas crosstrek, the experience is totally different. I can hear my kids in the back whispering. No one complains on the Bluetooth speaker. I can hear the radio set below 5 while cruising. Besides that, the suspension has more dampening and rides more like my father-in-laws Acura RDX than a truck or the gas crosstrek. The steering is TIGHT. Seriously, this thing is a handling monster. It will turn on a dime with almost no body roll. The car performs like a rally racer. It is just fun!
Suggested Improvements
Just so everyone doesn't think it's all unicorns and rainbow dust, I have discovered a few things you may want to consider prior to picking up a Crosstrek Hybrid. There is no option to have a genuine Subaru integrated trailer hitch added on the vehicle from the factory. Secondly, the engine restart battery located on the passenger side is not one that you can run down to Autozone and replace yourself. Lastly, the lack of a spare tire OR run flats is worrisome. However, Subaru does provide an excellent puncture kit complete with tire sealant and compressors in a compact kit under the driver's seat. All in all, no one comes even close to this amazing car at the price it is offered. Awesome!