2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
New buyers disappointing experience
By badsubi on 12/10/14 18:59 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Toyotas for the last 28 years I decided to buy a 2014 Crosstrek. 3 months now and the Check Engine light is on !. Took the car to the dealer and the car needs an Oil Control Valve. Many cars have this but last at least 75k miles. My "New" Crosstrek in the the shop for days and I know this car will give problems in the future. I bought Subaru because of all the reliability hype. As I research the internet more and more, I find that they are not durable, unreliable past 50k miles. Mine broke at 7k miles, thats a smack in the face for Subaru. Don't buy it. Every make has its problems but you are better off with Toyota or Honda for reliability. Do your homework on the internet.

We call it our Subaru Rattle
By weflybye on 12/04/14 10:29 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Crosstrek new in 2013 and from the moment we brought it home we have had issues with interior rattles. The dealership first put extra foam in the A Pillars. The rattles continued. Next they put extra foam in our speakers grills. The rattles continued. These were rattles that passengers in our back seat could hear and were extremely annoying. After taking the car in several times we had a technician find a bolt in the dash area was rattling against the car frame. More padding put in place. As of today (December 2014) we still have an annoying rattle in the dash. We enjoy this car for all other purposes but we would not purchase a Crosstrek again.

Don't buy one
By 923hon on 09/03/14 15:16 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car is crap... it's so loud while driving, with the combonation of wind and road it literally sounds like you are sitting by the wing on a airplane, that i can barely hear bluetooth call even turned all the way up. have to have a/c full blast otherwise it barely blows. it's guttless on freeway, good luck on on-ramps. gas mileage is worse than i was getting with my 94 pathfinder that was sent to scrapyard. there is no way in heck that ppl are getting anything close to 20 even. we get about 13mpg. it is the worst car ever. please do not buy one. its so awful and we are stuck with 380$ payments for the next 8yrs.

Defective Steering/Chassis
By nass2 on 08/27/14 02:09 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We recently purchased a new 2014 XV Crosstek that we had to return to the Subarau dealership 2 days later for a full refund due to unrepairable steering and/or chassis problem. The car had strong steering pull to the RIGHT. The dealership attempted to fix the car, but was unable to do so. The service adviser and technician told us that they have been having steering problems with this car. They wanted to have a Subaru engineer come out, so I requested to the alignment specs. The alignment was intentionally set to cause the car to pull LEFT to "correct" the problem, but it still pulled RIGHT. The dealer offered us a different Crosstek, which had the same problem after test driving it.

Never thought I'd buy a Subaru
By katethegreat84 on 08/08/14 19:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

When I first started looking at cars I never even thought to look at the Crosstrek or Subaru. As a real estate agent I wanted something nice but didn't want to go the standard issue luxury car everyone seems to drive. When a family member recommended the forester, I wasn't thrilled but went to test drive it anyway. While at the dealership I saw this little beauty and fell in love. I can cart around my clients and all my signs/lockboxes/excess Realtor stuff. But its also very comfortable and safe feeling. Being able to sit up high is a plus when you drive 20k miles a year. I highly recommend the GPS option, with it you get an upgraded sound system and a back up camera. I love my Crosstrek!

As near to perfect a car as we have ever owned!
By tradedcmax on 04/05/14 17:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We got this car on a whim, and have not looked back since. It is as perfect a car as we have ever owned. There is nothing about this car that we don't like. Visibility and ground clearance, with seating height and ability to see top the list. Headlights and standard fog lights only make it better. Add in all wheel drive, and standard features like a back up camera, HD radio, plenty of people space, leather seats, etc. and you will fall in love with this car. It is big enough and not too big. The MPG after only 500 miles is running 25MPG. I'm sure this will improve as time goes on. But even at 25, it is more than our smaller suv we traded in for this car. You will love this car.

Poor Heat Ouptput
By jagerhood on 03/27/14 06:09 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I'll start off my review with the cons, although I really do like my car. I'm not a car expert, but thought I could give my feedback to real world drivers. Bought the car early Dec and driving through a Cold NJ winter! That being said I have not ever been warm enough in this car!! The fan is Loud but there is not a whole heck of a lot of heat coming out especially on the floor!! I hate the Radio, but my iPod music sounds Great! I also think there could be more storage compartments as well as an armrest for the driver. Finallly, not lovin the black on black on black interior. You see every speck!! The "ivory" was not an option - that would have been black in a week.

Traded a turbo monster, and haven't looked back
By mike_in_nepa on 03/19/14 06:12 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For the last 10 years, I've had various turbocharged vehicles, some of which were modded. I grew tired of temperamental turbos, having too much power in slow traffic, and spending ungodly sums of cash fueling them up. I just needed a reliable AWD vehicle that can get me around in the mountains throughout the winter months, ground clearance, get good fuel economy, and can stand up to my outdoorsy lifestyle. So far, I have 1000 miles and have been very impressed with this vehicle. I find it very peppy, and find the 145 hp rating deceiving. This climbs up mountain roads feeling sprightly, and never gives even a hint of losing steam. At 75 mph, I get about 30-32 mpg. Love it.

Better than expected
By subiedriver6 on 02/19/14 04:44 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have been sold on Subaru for many years, but this is a change from my usual purchase of a Forester. The engine is just average in regard to performance, but exceptional in gas mileage, averaging 29 in rural back road driving. The seats are very comfortable and the cabin seems much more roomy compared to the Foresters I have had in the past. The doors are large and provide easy in/out access. The exterior styling is aggressive and has received a lot of compliments, while the interior is more just utilitarian and the radio readout is disappointing. Overall, the more I drive it, the better I like it.

Disappointed with the radio
By mitch79 on 12/18/13 09:48 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Subaru CrossTrek about a month ago. I fell in love with this car at first glance as I was already looking to buy a Subaru (possibly an Impreza). So when I saw an "Impreza on steroids", it was kind of a no-brainer. So far I like almost everything about the car. I'm not too impressed with the gas mileage. I average 25 MPG but I figure that's not too bad for an AWD. My major complaint is that the radio seems to be outdated in this car as it is not compatible with any of the I-Phones (even my already outdated 4S). I've rented 2012 and 2013 cars and have always been able to control my I-Phone through the USB port but it's not gonna' happen in this car. Very disappointed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Suv in VA is:

$143 per month*