2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Cold Feet
By Carol Pastushok

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2014 subaru a little over a year ago. This past winter I really noticed how poorly the heat works. My feet and legs get so cold I'm tempted to put in a heating blanket. The service dept said..."Can't do anything...the heating system is weak" Also very noisy at highway speeds...can't listen easily to my audio books. Finally, some of these problems might be tolerable if the MPG was better than 23 using 87 octane. The service person said the computer says 26 MPG ??and it's winter.

Dashboard organized wth minimal distractions. Nice interior size and visibility. Good acceleration, though noisy.

Improve floor heating. Better insulation to reduce highway/wind noise...this might even draft on feet.

2014 XV CrossTrek Premium Review
By Charles Marcino

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

purchased in October of 2014 and have 7800 miles on the vehicle. So far so good. Had a very challenging trip to Syracuse NY in heavy snow and the little SUV took all of the heavy snow covered hilly roads within the city with no issues in addition to the 250 miles of snow covered highways. I have a bad back but the seats are comfortable and supportive. I am used to driving small 4 cylinder sedans so the pickup on the Crosstrek is no problem. The engine is a bit noisy when cold but seems to diminish as the engine warms.

All wheel drive seems to be doing its job. Difficult Northeast winter so far has been tamed by my Crosstrek. Mileage averaging around 30mpg in combined highway and city driving. Easiest oil filter location I have come across in all the cars I've driven. For once I don't need to be triple jointed to change an oil filter on one of my cars.

I wish there was a little bit more storage. I always carry a first aid kit, paper towels, window deicer and stuff like that. right now I have to carry it in a bin and leave in the rear section. Be nice to have a hidden area near the spare tire to keep this stuff.

New buyers disappointing experience
By badsubi

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Toyotas for the last 28 years I decided to buy a 2014 Crosstrek. 3 months now and the Check Engine light is on !. Took the car to the dealer and the car needs an Oil Control Valve. Many cars have this but last at least 75k miles. My "New" Crosstrek in the the shop for days and I know this car will give problems in the future. I bought Subaru because of all the reliability hype. As I research the internet more and more, I find that they are not durable, unreliable past 50k miles. Mine broke at 7k miles, thats a smack in the face for Subaru. Don't buy it. Every make has its problems but you are better off with Toyota or Honda for reliability. Do your homework on the internet.

Drives very well, CVT is OK if you are not planning on drag racing. Cant say much since it only lasted 3 months without major repairs.

Go bankrupts.

We call it our Subaru Rattle
By weflybye

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Crosstrek new in 2013 and from the moment we brought it home we have had issues with interior rattles. The dealership first put extra foam in the A Pillars. The rattles continued. Next they put extra foam in our speakers grills. The rattles continued. These were rattles that passengers in our back seat could hear and were extremely annoying. After taking the car in several times we had a technician find a bolt in the dash area was rattling against the car frame. More padding put in place. As of today (December 2014) we still have an annoying rattle in the dash. We enjoy this car for all other purposes but we would not purchase a Crosstrek again.

Rugged reliability
By charlesdrive

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned many previous Subaru cars in the past (most recently Impreza and Legacy) so I am used to the usual knocks against Subarus. Engine noise is a bit loud, pickup is not great but this car is safe, rugged and I like how it has a higher ground clearance which is helpful if you live in an area that gets measurable snowfall. While my Legacy handled well in snow storms it had low ground clearance which caused problems. The Limited trim with the navigation and XM radio are definitely worth the extra expense. This car is fun to drive and has a slightly different appearance from other Subaru cars. I have not gotten to drive in snow yet but it has handled well in wet weather.

When switching from standard radio to XM radio you have make sure you turn down the volume quickly or you will be blasted out. Navigation system is not easy to change "on the fly" and I don't think there is a way for it to tell you about a detour.