2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

2014 crostrek review
By Fred Cook

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car ate tires like mad and all any of subarus representatives would say is nothing wrong with car its driving style. Original tires lasted 15000 miles second set were rated at 100000 miles but were 20% gone in 5000 miles

Favorite Features

fun car good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix rear suspension geometry. Alignment was perfect empty car out 2 good sized people in it and rear sags to point everyone you meet brightlights you and the rear toe goes out of spec by more than 50 points causing extremely rapid tire wear and most likely reduced drive train life.

crosstrek hybrid-where has the quality gone?
By ny2dc

I owned a subaru forester from 1999-2004...loved the car. Not the nicest looking car but I lived in Colorado at the time and it was the perfect car to commute with as well had drive to the mountains. Since then I moved back east and stuck with toyota/lexus. With the new hybrid crosstrek I thought I would give it another try. I bought the car as a demo model so I did get a great deal, but long story short I was very disappointed. I kept the car only a few months and traded it back in. What a piece of junk. First.. no where near the 29/33. I averaged 23 mpg. The interior of the car was like a toy car. Very low quality. Overall the car is a piece of junk. Beware.

Favorite Features

Car rack

Suggested Improvements

Mpg, upgraded interior

Disappointed with my first Subaru
By ndw

I've actually had an entirely different experience with my Crosstrek Hybrid, other than I can agree with another user's problems with the navigation. There are so many rattles, all over the car. The worst is with the plastic covering the speedometer and tachometer displays. People who ride in my car say things like, "Doesn't that noise drive you crazy?" Mine was delivered in November, so I wonder if it's early off the manufacturing line and those problems have been worked out. Subaru has been most unhelpful in resolving my issues - this will be my last Subaru.

Favorite Features

I get between 28 and 33 MPGs for mixed city and highway driving over the course of a tank of gas, as long as I'm careful, watch the gauge and drive calmly. The car looks great. I have the green one, touring edition, and get asked about it pretty often. I don't have a problem with power getting up the hills. It also seems to have some pretty good systems for deciding that I really need some extra power to get out of a sticky situation, and adds the electric motor to the gas engine.

Suggested Improvements

The paint is very delicate. My Honda went years before the paint was a nicked up as my Crosstrek is after 6 months. The navigation system is awful. It can't determine its position in cities, and appears not to have a compass, cached location or be tied into the speed of the car to make a good guess - all features of Honda's navigation system as far back as 2005. The computer is underpowered. If you get off course in a city, the routes will not be able to recalculate fast enough before the next recalculation is needed. Zooming in or out while the car is moving take 8-10 seconds before the tap on the screen is even recognized. And the rattles. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Great car!
By davennc

I've had my XV Crosstrek hybrid for two months now and have been extremely happy with it. I've been getting 35 mpg around town and about 38mpg hwy, which is double than my 2003 Baja. Comfortable ride, minimal road noise, a lot of get up and go from a stand still, & the CVT transmission has been smooth. I've had several people (including a police officer pull up to me) to ask me about the car- "I didn't know Subaru made a hydrid." If you're looking for Prius like mileage, than buy a Prius; Although you won't have the awesome AWD of a Subaru, headroom, legroom, cargo carrying ability, nor will your Prius be able to get out of its own way in a sticky traffic situation.

Favorite Features

Pros: Great mileage for AWD Tight handling Smooth ride Straightforward interior and controls Quiet interior with decent materials Good front and back headroom & legroom Runs in all electric mode up to 25 mph Good low end torque

Suggested Improvements

Audio system could be better No interior hatch release Not made with a manual transmission

not very hybridy (so far)
By fried003

Not getting the suggested MPGs so far during a cold winter; hoping it improves. Car rarely runs in "green" power based on the indicator. Otherwise it's decent enough/comfortable. I got the touring model, which has all the bells & whistles, some of which I don't understand, such as the entertainment system. But it has everything I'd ever want in a vehicle + other stuff. But, so far, it's not fulling the primary expectation.

Favorite Features

I like the XM radio, even though I'll have to start paying to keep it. The back-up camera is a nice safety feature. The GPS is clear but doesn't speak street names. I like the plasticized wheel well moulding instead of just the metal there. If it ever warms-up, I'm sure I'll like the sun/moon roof. The driver seat is very adjustable, so it's quite comfortable. The keyless ignition is convenient.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the heat/AC vents were a bit lower & they can't be aimed downward, only straight or upward. I wish the GPS spoke street names. I wish there was a trunk release inside the vehicle near the fuel tank release.