Used 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Good value
By LSO528

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not a car for the snow
By Mi

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you drive in real snow conditions this is not a car you will want. My wife and I have owned 5 Subaru's and this is an absolute disaster. Traffic was stopped on a slight incline on a mountain road as we moved forward the Subaru lost traction and slid all the way across the on coming lane into the snow bank. Tires in excellent condition but this Subaru will not grip the road as my others have. All kinds of other cars and trucks did not have the same problem. Fortunately the oncoming lane was clear as I slid across the road. It took 3 guys pushing to get us out of the snow bank. Car continued to slip and slide when others did not. AWD in this car has design flaw. Do not trust it except on flat roads it is ok.

2014 crostrek review
By Fred Cook

Car ate tires like mad and all any of subarus representatives would say is nothing wrong with car its driving style. Original tires lasted 15000 miles second set were rated at 100000 miles but were 20% gone in 5000 miles

fun car good gas mileage

Fix rear suspension geometry. Alignment was perfect empty car out 2 good sized people in it and rear sags to point everyone you meet brightlights you and the rear toe goes out of spec by more than 50 points causing extremely rapid tire wear and most likely reduced drive train life.

crosstrek hybrid-where has the quality gone?
By ny2dc

I owned a subaru forester from 1999-2004...loved the car. Not the nicest looking car but I lived in Colorado at the time and it was the perfect car to commute with as well had drive to the mountains. Since then I moved back east and stuck with toyota/lexus. With the new hybrid crosstrek I thought I would give it another try. I bought the car as a demo model so I did get a great deal, but long story short I was very disappointed. I kept the car only a few months and traded it back in. What a piece of junk. First.. no where near the 29/33. I averaged 23 mpg. The interior of the car was like a toy car. Very low quality. Overall the car is a piece of junk. Beware.

Car rack

Mpg, upgraded interior

Disappointed with my first Subaru
By ndw

I've actually had an entirely different experience with my Crosstrek Hybrid, other than I can agree with another user's problems with the navigation.

There are so many rattles, all over the car. The worst is with the plastic covering the speedometer and tachometer displays. People who ride in my car say things like, "Doesn't that noise drive you crazy?"

Mine was delivered in November, so I wonder if it's early off the manufacturing line and those problems have been worked out.

Subaru has been most unhelpful in resolving my issues - this will be my last Subaru.

I get between 28 and 33 MPGs for mixed city and highway driving over the course of a tank of gas, as long as I'm careful, watch the gauge and drive calmly. The car looks great. I have the green one, touring edition, and get asked about it pretty often. I don't have a problem with power getting up the hills. It also seems to have some pretty good systems for deciding that I really need some extra power to get out of a sticky situation, and adds the electric motor to the gas engine.

The paint is very delicate. My Honda went years before the paint was a nicked up as my Crosstrek is after 6 months. The navigation system is awful. It can't determine its position in cities, and appears not to have a compass, cached location or be tied into the speed of the car to make a good guess - all features of Honda's navigation system as far back as 2005. The computer is underpowered. If you get off course in a city, the routes will not be able to recalculate fast enough before the next recalculation is needed. Zooming in or out while the car is moving take 8-10 seconds before the tap on the screen is even recognized. And the rattles. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.