Way better than standard impreza
By belchfire on
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
We were in the market for a new car. We own a 2000 impreza and have been very pleased with it. 230K miles and very few problems. I saw that the 2012 impreza with the 2.0 engine and CVT transmission was rated @36 MPG. This is super mileage for an AWD vehicle. I test drove one and wasn't completely sold on it. I trashed the shocks, brakes and the fact that the base model doesn't have cruise control. There must have been a hidden microphone because not long after the crosstrek was introduced. They fixed everything. Better suspension, huge killer brakes, bigger gas tank & radiator and a lower gear ratio. Nice 17" wheels and a more ridged body structure. Much, much better car 30+ mpg so far.
Favorite Features
All of the above listed features. We live a mile down a gravel road in the hills and get snow. The ride is firm but it gives good feedback. The engine uses 0-20 oil and rattles when it's started. It's a lot rougher sounding than the 2.2. The CVT gets some getting use to but seems to be working fine. Acceleration off the line is a little weak but is adequate when cruising . I think that the lower gear ratio helps. The robo-car electronics drive me nuts but I guess all cars have it now so it's something I'll have to get use to. My wife and I love the car and hope it gives us as good of service as our last one.
Suggested Improvements
Better buttons on the key so that it doesn't set the car off every time you stick your hand in your pocket. Out gassing. Violent headaches and nausea from the interior fumes. Had to drive with the windows down. Tough to do in January. Also a weird harmonic from the wind buffeting. Hate to complain, but you asked.