Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy on
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway. Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin. Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8. Big change. Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips. AWD performs well. Very satisfied.
Favorite Features
My goal was the best possible combination of AWD, MPG and Ground Clearance for the lowest price with the best performance in mountain winter snow conditions. The Crosstrek was the perfect fit on paper and has proved to be the perfect fit after 21,000 miles and lots of winter driving. AWD performance is tenacious. Gets me out my steep 60 ft. cabin driveway without shoveling usually. Keeping up with Jeep Wranglers and SUV's on roads in snowstorms and getting twice the MPG. Heated seats, mirrors, wipers, leather work well. Fun to scoot around the city in, easy to park, backup camera useful. Still my Jeep Commander V-8 sometimes. But exactly the smart change I was looking for.
Suggested Improvements
Overhead center storage nook for sunglasses, pens, etc. The optional tray inside the console should have a way to attach and swing up and down instead of having to lift completely out to get to stuff stowed underneath it.