Disappointed with CrossTrek
By flyguy12 on
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
I have owned Subaru's since the early 1980's. My basis for choosing a 2013 CrossTrek was its size, my previous history, and the better gas mileage. Initially I was very pleased after coming from a 2005 Legacy. However, at 7500 miles I noticed that I was 1.5 quarts low on oil. I was told that this is normal and I would have to "top off" the oil between changes. I also have been quoted $75.00 for 7,500 mile oil changes from 2 different dealers. I am very disappointed with Subaru. I will not change my oil through the dealer, and I would not recommend this model due to what may be excessive service costs.
Favorite Features
Size, Fuel Economy
Suggested Improvements
Change recommended oil to Synthetic 5W-20 ( I will switch after warranty period), and control servicing costs. I would also recommend more soundproofing as it is very noisy at highway speeds.
By noah_early
on 09/30/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

Why would you change the viscosity of the oil to try to save money? How does destroying an engine and/or reducing MPG save money in the long run? How does switching from one full synthetic to another full synthetic affect the operating costs? Oil viscosity is a non-issue compared to brakes, tires, and all the other aspects of car maintenance.