Bummed about MPG!
By sraskin on
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
I really like most things about the car but I am getting terrible (15-19) mpg after 3,000 miles and I don't understand why! I purchased the car expecting it get pretty good MPG around the city, yet still be a fun weekend car for mountain adventures. It has a solid interior, good handling, relatively high clearance and a rugged look, all of which I like. But for some reason the mpg is totally lacking. I am a mellow driver and I do a mix of city/hwy, so I can't figure out any obvious explanation for the bad mileage.
Favorite Features
Ground clearance. Heated seats.
Suggested Improvements
should be as fuel efficient as advertised.
By zanykhaki13
on 04/13/13 23:42 PM (PDT)

hey sraskin.. I am also very bummed about the gas mileage on my Crosstrek and I have a limited so I am suppose to get even better gas mileage. I have 2500 miles on mine.. bought it Jan 31. I seem to get about 20 mpg.. this is not what I was signing on for. when I fill the tank it takes 15 gallons and displays 330 miles for the tank.. that's 22.. I don't get that. I bought the car because it advertised 25 city/ 33 hwy. this is not what I paid for.. I called my salesperson today and he told me the car wasn't broken in.. yadayada.. he said it is adjusting to my driving and it will display accurately after it breaks in. I am not convinced at all. to me this is false advertising and could be argued to be a lemon. city driving alone I should still get 25mpg .. I am doing both city and hwy.

By zzozo
on 06/29/13 20:57 PM (PDT)

I just bought a brand new Crosstrek Premium 5 speed manual. Granted it's just on its first tank of gas but the gauge showing average mileage started at 18 MPG and is at 20 now with 130 miles on the car. The scary thing is that those miles are almost all highway driving. It is probably too soon to say what will happen with it, but I will be most upset if it continues like this. It is not encouraging to read that others are having similar issues. Its a great car otherwise but a big factor in choosing this car was the good mileage it is supposed to get.

By ramjet3
on 07/27/13 19:04 PM (PDT)

1st time Subaru owner. I've got almost 5000 mi on 2013 Crosstrek. Averaging 22 to 23 mpg, mostly highway. Not happy, advertised 25 city, 33 highway, 28 combined. I feel that I was lied to, contract broken, want to return the car and I promise to never buy another Suburu.

By seattlexv
on 06/17/13 15:56 PM (PDT)

I now have 8,000 miles on my Crosstrek which I bought in Nov and my gas mileage keeps going down and down. I am not doing anything different, but I have gone from 28mpg to now averaging about 23mpg. I bought this car over the Honda CRV because of the traction and the reported gas mileage. I've had it into the dealer and they can't find anything. I'm now working with Subaru America and they are hard to get a hold of. This is my first Subaru and will be my last if we can't figure out what is going wrong with the mpg. I had a Honda Fit before and never had any issues with it. Who else has had problems? Tks.