Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Love is what subaru is about is right!
By mlevato

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Never had a Subaru before. Son & daughter in law have had a few. Live in Michigan where winter is rough. Son convinced me to lease new Crosstrek. I love it!!! I get super great gas mileage. In fact one time I went 20 days between fill ups. I usually get anywhere from 25-29 miles per gallon, in the city. I don't drive freeway often. I can't wait to see how it handles in the winter. When lease is up I am considering going to an Outback or Forrester. Son drives Forrester, says ride isn't as smooth as CrossTrek. Outlback is. So may be that one.
I have no complaints what so ever. I love love my CrossTrek.

Heated seats.

After 9 months review
By rivernsnow

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Nice Little SUV. Cool looking! Sufficiant power, but not a sports car. Steady pedal application versus jamming it down, eliminates most of the comments about droning or response. Very comfortable front seats, Great road hugging performance! Rides rougher than expected. It's small so with two adults and a toddler on a road trip it's really packed to the max. Like Edmunds review said, does not get advertised mileage. Expect 25.5- 26 MPG average Using 89 octane brings it up to 27- 28
Bad - can't power or remote entry lock without arming alarm. If you use a sub key/non remote entry key, alarm wakes neighbors at 5 AM. Manual locking not available on rear hatch!!! No air vents for rear passengers

Interior and exterior styling. Front seat comfort. Heated front seats. Excellent road handling / cornering. Lower roof height makes mounting my fishing kayaks much easier Although not as advertised, good mileage for an AWD. Good leg room front and back. I'm 6'3"

Locking issue a safety hazard. Can't give a friend a sub key and expect them to explain to Police or Zimmerman type neighborhood watch, why they set off alarm. With locking issue all keys need to be remote entry. Subaru limits smart keys to 4 which is dumb. Therefore can't misplace one or take extra. If only smart keys are offered, need to cost less. Manual locking not available on rear hatch!!! Fix that issue !!! Need to add keyed entry on rear hatch. Key entry on passenger door would be good too. USB in front center box is a mistake. No protection so it can clog with gunk or metal could short it out. Move USB to dash. Make rear seats more comfortable. Rear passengers notice rougher ride

I loved my Crosstrek, but it needs more power
By noah_early

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I work in DC, but we own a cabin in Lexington, VA and live in Northern VA.
It handles gravel roads as well as the interstate and can easily surpass the EPA ratings if you drive like a sensible adult. If you are disappointed with your MPG try comparing your odometer with mile markers or GPS.
Mine read almost 2% slow, which means we are actually getting over .6 MPG better than the car calculates. The car would say you had driven 100 miles when you had actually gone 101.9 Our 2005 Forester 2.5X was off in the other direction by over 4% which is why I checked the Crosstrek. If you are behind one that is going a little slow, that is probably why. They don't realize 70 on the speedo means they are only going 67.
The ground clearance is perfect, our 80+ pound lab mix can get in and out of it without the struggle he has with our Jeeps and it has not bottomed out on several rutted, gravel roads.
It burned a little oil. If we went more than 5,500 miles between changes the low oil light would come on. We were going to have the dealer look into that, but it was hit at 19K miles and replaced with a 2015 Forester XT Limited with EyeSight. A drop of less than 3 MPG (26.9 average after 8k miles) and premium fuel for 100 more HP and much more room is a decent trade-off.
Also check visibility before buying. The high belt line and low roof make rear visibility poor for shorter drivers.

Love my subaru
By cgoodall

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in January, 2013.
Thus far, I have 16,000 miles of mostly highway driving (probably a 75/25 split) and am averaging 32-33 MPG with the automatic transmission.
Though it doesn't have exceptional power or acceleration. what do you expect from a 4 cylinder motor?
While the synthetic oil is certainly more expensive, you don't need to change oil except every 7,500 miles (some say 10,000 miles).
This makes it roughly comparable to annual oil costs with regular oil.
I have gone many places that a regular 2 WD sedan would never have taken me.

I would buy this car all over again!
By katysubie

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Subaru - my first was a 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited. I was sad to trade it in but I am so SO thrilled about this Crosstrek. First of all, the appearance is sweet - I have gotten so many compliments on how sharp-looking the car is (which is what I thought, too!) The interior is also really nice and very comfortable, with all of the creature comforts I wanted in a vehicle (heated front seats, tinted windows, iPod hookups, etc.) I bought the car in a 5-speed manual and I have had nothing negative to say about the pickup and the power for this size vehicle. The gas mileage is as advertised, which I imagine has to do with the manual transmission. I will continue to buy Subaru.

5-speed manual, heated seats, super-sporty-looking wheels!, tons of passenger space in both front and back seats, great use of space all around. The cargo area is surprisingly roomy for the size of the vehicle and I can fit my mountain bike in the back when I fold down the backseats.

This car needs a 6th gear. That is all.