Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Xv-crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Most Helpful|
I love my Crosstrek, but it needs more power
By noah_early

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I work in DC, but we own a cabin in Lexington, VA and live in Northern VA. It handles gravel roads as well as the interstate and gets very close to the EPA ratings. If you are disappointed with your's try comparing your odometer with mile markers or GPS. Mine reads almost 2% slow, which means we are actually getting .6 MPG better than the car calculates. The ground clearance is perfect, our 80+ pound lab mix can get in and out of it without the struggle he has with our Jeeps and it has not bottomed out on several rutted, gravel roads. Also check visibility before buying. The high belt line and low roof make rear visibility poor for shorter drivers.

Favorite Features

This car is the perfect height. It is easy to get in and out of and offers great forward visibility. The roof rack is easy to load and unload with a hitch mounted step. The controls are logically layed out and there are real buttons and knobs!! Too many brands (cough .. Ford .. cough) are doing away with buttons and knobs for basic functions. Thank you Subaru for not changing what aint broke. The all weather package works well. There is good leg room front and back. I almost wish they would have sacrificed some of it for more rear cargo space, but passengers aren't complaining.

Suggested Improvements

Backup sensors/cameras should be standard equipment. It should be able to tow more and it needs more power. It also needs LEDs on the switchs on the doors so you can see them at night. It also needs a power source on the back left corner lie other Subarus. I am sure the dramatic rear slope is due to MPG concerns, but it should be more squared off in the back. You lose a lot of cargo space. The Forester is only a little larger, but has a ton more space because of it's roof line. The paint should also be thicker/stronger. The car already has several scratchs and rock chips and has less than 7000 miles on it. Where are the diesels the rest of the world gets?

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in June, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it. I love it! It's just the right size for us. Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures. Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out. I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones. It also rides more smooth and quiet. I live in the middle of the city, so I drive mostly stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.4 MPG since I bought in June. On a long road trip with heavy crosswinds and a loaded car we avg. 32.7 MPG

Favorite Features

Symmetrical AWD feels very secure to icy and snowy roads. Heated seats & mirrors. Most of my previous cars were manual transmissions, so I was a little worried about adjusting to the CVT. It was a seamless transition. It makes a different sound that is for sure, but it is not any louder than any other 4 cylinder I've had. I shopped a lot of cars, and I felt this car gave us everything we wanted and needed. If I added up the same features and options on the other cars I was looking at, I would have to spend $5,000-$8,000 more.

Suggested Improvements

Initially I agreed the speakers are weak. After some tweaking, however, the speakers are willing and capable. The stock settings on the radio are weak. I faded the speakers 3/4 to the front and adjusted treble, bass, etc. Big improvement. That said, if you are a music aficionado and you can swing it, buy the upgraded speakers.

After 9 months review
By rivernsnow

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Nice Little SUV. Cool looking! Sufficiant power, but not a sports car. Steady pedal application versus jamming it down, eliminates most of the comments about droning or response. Very comfortable front seats, Great road hugging performance! Rides rougher than expected. It's small so with two adults and a toddler on a road trip it's really packed to the max. Like Edmunds review said, does not get advertised mileage. Expect 25.5- 26 MPG average Using 89 octane brings it up to 27- 28 Bad - can't power or remote entry lock without arming alarm. If you use a sub key/non remote entry key, alarm wakes neighbors at 5 AM. Manual locking not available on rear hatch!!! No air vents for rear passengers

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling. Front seat comfort. Heated front seats. Excellent road handling / cornering. Lower roof height makes mounting my fishing kayaks much easier Although not as advertised, good mileage for an AWD. Good leg room front and back. I'm 6'3"

Suggested Improvements

Locking issue a safety hazard. Can't give a friend a sub key and expect them to explain to Police or Zimmerman type neighborhood watch, why they set off alarm. With locking issue all keys need to be remote entry. Subaru limits smart keys to 4 which is dumb. Therefore can't misplace one or take extra. If only smart keys are offered, need to cost less. Manual locking not available on rear hatch!!! Fix that issue !!! Need to add keyed entry on rear hatch. Key entry on passenger door would be good too. USB in front center box is a mistake. No protection so it can clog with gunk or metal could short it out. Move USB to dash. Make rear seats more comfortable. Rear passengers notice rougher ride

Safest Car On the Road
By spenza253

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

A few nights ago I hit a deer with my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, unfortunately she might be totaled. The most amazing thing about this car? How safe it is! I hit the deer going about 55 mph, both the steering wheel airbag and, to my surprise because I did not know it existed, an airbag at knee - calf level. Upon hitting the deer the car felt solid, and in the drivers seat I felt completely secure, I was not going anywhere. My Subaru provided me with the ultimate protection from the accident and I will forever rant about how safe and amazing this car is. I am 17 years old and this was my first car, and I recommend this car for worried parents who want the safest car on the road.

Fun to Drive, but not on long drives
By bobjeeps

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Very fun to drive, handles very well around corners, has a very good solid feeling. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Well laid out control panel. Love the looks of the car, I get allot of complements everywhere I go. I'm getting about 26,27 mpg mix driving.

Favorite Features

Handling is very sure and stable. Style a little different, better than Ford, Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Allot of road noise on the highway. No tint on the windshield! The ride and seats are awfully hard. The radio has very poor sound quality. Poor quality, cheap carpet.