Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Wish I had bought something else
By gypsygal

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't buy cars often and keep them 10+ years, until I get tired of them. Past cars were 2 Nissan trucks, and a CRV, all which served me very well. So I was excited last year to try a new Subaru CrossTrek. The excitement wore off within several months of driving it. Bought it specifically for the gas mileage. It is a city commuter car for me, and it was barely getting 18 mpg. Called the service dept twice and explained the problem, they said its probably my driving habits, and the car needs to be broken in. Oh really? Never had that problem with the other cars. Here we are a year later, and the city MPG is down to 15. Also, the car takes forever to warm up on these Colorado winter days.

If you drive on the freeway for a solid 2 hours, cruise control set at 65, don't stop for any reason, the road you are traveling is more or less level, and don't run the air-conditioning, it does get 37- 40 mpg's. It handles very well in the snow. Very solid. Once you are seated inside the vehicle, it is very comfortable for driving.

Re-evaluate the gas mileage rating. Fix the air compressor problem, each time it kicks on for the air-conditioner, the car shutters with a thump to the extent that feels like you have just been rear-ended. Redesign windows so that snow and water don't run into the tracks and freeze overnight making the windows impossible to open until it thaws out. (I have to open the window to swipe my parking garage pass, and I have never had any vehicle windows freeze up like they do on the Crosstrek) It is difficult to exit the vehicle, seats are situated too far into the vehicle, making it difficult to get your weight over your feet once you put them on the pavement for exiting.

I guess it hit or miss with these cars!
By cdhttlr

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in August and since than have never been able to achieve anything near the EPA fuel mileage of 25 city/33 highway. Best ever was 30 highway and 22 city and its been slowly dropping since new. I now have 3800 miles on it and the last highway trip 100% highway other than 4 on/off ramps. cruise set on 63 the whole time was 26mpg. I struggle now to get 18mpg around town. I even removed the spare tire and jack and rear cargo and floor mats to reduce weight. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it and is probably my driving. Really than why did every other car that I've owned get better then advertised MPGs? A total of 12 cars total beaters to brand new.

I like the interior its pretty basic and that's what I wanted. It comes with nice mats. Paddle shifters are neat but kind of gimmicky and lose there novelty quickly.

Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway.
Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin.
Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8.
Big change.
Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips.
AWD performs well.
Very satisfied.

My goal was the best possible combination of AWD, MPG and Ground Clearance for the lowest price with the best performance in mountain winter snow conditions. The Crosstrek was the perfect fit on paper and has proved to be the perfect fit after 21,000 miles and lots of winter driving. AWD performance is tenacious. Gets me out my steep 60 ft. cabin driveway without shoveling usually. Keeping up with Jeep Wranglers and SUV's on roads in snowstorms and getting twice the MPG. Heated seats, mirrors, wipers, leather work well. Fun to scoot around the city in, easy to park, backup camera useful. Still my Jeep Commander V-8 sometimes. But exactly the smart change I was looking for.

Overhead center storage nook for sunglasses, pens, etc. The optional tray inside the console should have a way to attach and swing up and down instead of having to lift completely out to get to stuff stowed underneath it.

winter heat
By rumely

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

for the most part I was happy with the XV till winter came. it dives fine but there is very low heat out put at the floor. it feels like the AC is on.
the dealer pulled it in a heated shop to check it. ?
and did not drive it out the back roads like i do to and from work.
The heater stays set on high and i never get warm.
they said it was working fine.
My old VW Bugs had way better heat.

Dealers that hear you when you say there no heat driving out on the roads. I do not drive to and from work in a heated shop. grrrrrrr

Great Car for the Money
By meandrew228

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my third Subaru, I have been driving mostly German cars over the years but my last 3 cars which I usually keep no more than 18 months haveall been subies. love the german cars but quality over the years has gone down hill. not sure what it is but I love the control of the All wheel Drive it just sucks the road. I drove a 2011 outback for a little while with the cvt and was under powered. I choose the 5 speed crosstrek
because of the lack of power on the cvt . I think if you stick with the 5 speed it really brings out the true car. it would be even better is there was a turbo version. the build quality is better than the outback probably because its made in japan.

love the orange color, nothing really out there even compares to the subie, heated seats rock iam 5.9 and the seats are just perfect. not sure about for taller people.

a few of the plastics are a little cheaper looking but the car is made in japan and I think that is such a great thing.