Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

I love my Crosstrek, but it needs more power
By noah_early

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I work in DC, but we own a cabin in Lexington, VA and live in Northern VA. It handles gravel roads as well as the interstate and gets very close to the EPA ratings. If you are disappointed with your's try comparing your odometer with mile markers or GPS. Mine reads almost 2% slow, which means we are actually getting .6 MPG better than the car calculates. The ground clearance is perfect, our 80+ pound lab mix can get in and out of it without the struggle he has with our Jeeps and it has not bottomed out on several rutted, gravel roads. Also check visibility before buying. The high belt line and low roof make rear visibility poor for shorter drivers.

This car is the perfect height. It is easy to get in and out of and offers great forward visibility. The roof rack is easy to load and unload with a hitch mounted step. The controls are logically layed out and there are real buttons and knobs!! Too many brands (cough .. Ford .. cough) are doing away with buttons and knobs for basic functions. Thank you Subaru for not changing what aint broke. The all weather package works well. There is good leg room front and back. I almost wish they would have sacrificed some of it for more rear cargo space, but passengers aren't complaining.

Backup sensors/cameras should be standard equipment. It should be able to tow more and it needs more power. It also needs LEDs on the switchs on the doors so you can see them at night. It also needs a power source on the back left corner lie other Subarus. I am sure the dramatic rear slope is due to MPG concerns, but it should be more squared off in the back. You lose a lot of cargo space. The Forester is only a little larger, but has a ton more space because of it's roof line. The paint should also be thicker/stronger. The car already has several scratchs and rock chips and has less than 7000 miles on it. Where are the diesels the rest of the world gets?

Love my subaru
By cgoodall

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in January, 2013. Thus far, I have 16,000 miles of mostly highway driving (probably a 75/25 split) and am averaging 32-33 MPG with the automatic transmission. Though it doesn't have exceptional power or acceleration. what do you expect from a 4 cylinder motor? While the synthetic oil is certainly more expensive, you don't need to change oil except every 7,500 miles (some say 10,000 miles). This makes it roughly comparable to annual oil costs with regular oil. I have gone many places that a regular 2 WD sedan would never have taken me.

I would buy this car all over again!
By katysubie

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Subaru - my first was a 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited. I was sad to trade it in but I am so SO thrilled about this Crosstrek. First of all, the appearance is sweet - I have gotten so many compliments on how sharp-looking the car is (which is what I thought, too!) The interior is also really nice and very comfortable, with all of the creature comforts I wanted in a vehicle (heated front seats, tinted windows, iPod hookups, etc.) I bought the car in a 5-speed manual and I have had nothing negative to say about the pickup and the power for this size vehicle. The gas mileage is as advertised, which I imagine has to do with the manual transmission. I will continue to buy Subaru.

5-speed manual, heated seats, super-sporty-looking wheels!, tons of passenger space in both front and back seats, great use of space all around. The cargo area is surprisingly roomy for the size of the vehicle and I can fit my mountain bike in the back when I fold down the backseats.

This car needs a 6th gear. That is all.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By ameshoop

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I never understood the Subaru "love" that people talk about until I got my Crosstrek! I bought this vehicle in late October of 2012 and have been happy ever since. Always get comments about my wheels. MPG runs 28 (city) to 33 (hwy). The heated seats are excellent; the a/c freezes me out; the speakers are upgraded ones and are perfect. If there is a complaint it is a little sluggish when a/c is on and I need to get moving quickly. When you are backing up - you need to leave your foot on the brake until you feel the car engage into drive or it will drift a little backwards. Other than that - wonderful vehicle and would recommend to anyone and everyone!

Wheels; roominess; mileage; handles very well; leather seats are great

Quicker engagement of the transmission; less sluggish when a/c is running

Disappointing
By ramjet3

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

First time Subaru owner, 2013 Crosstrek purchased Feb 2013. Less than 5000 mi, 5 dashboard warning lights started flashing, transmission won't shift. Had it towed to dealer. Not offered loan vehicle, so need to rent car at my own expense until repairs are made. I expected better of a vehicle costing nearly $25K. Also, very poor mileage, my best highway mileage is 26 mpg, best all-around mileage is 22 mpg. Definitely does not live up to advertising. I will not buy another Subaru.