2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
Interior options
By carscientious on 01/10/13 16:57 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The Crosstrek "limited" offers only two stereo head units-the standard unit w/o Satellite capability and the NAV system with SAT. As satellite users for several years, we made a dreadful mistake in buying this SUV without making sure the "Limited" version had SAT. Adding a mobile car unit is "cheesy" and takes up more room especially if you have a "Garmin" on the dash. An aftermarket unit can be quite pricey and can range $500-$1800 including installation. Our local Subaru dealer quoted $4500 for a new Subaru factory NAV system if available and requiring a new antenna if wiring is possible. Would have given up leather seats for cloth in order to get SAT. :-(

Great Ride!
By greendesignguy on 01/06/13 11:04 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

So, we have owned our Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited (Crystal Black Silica/Ivory Leather, Pop Package #1, Moonroof, and Navigation) for about a month now. This vehicle is very difficult to find, and we would have had ours earlier had we not had to wait for it to arrive at the dealer. It was also actually very difficult to find one to test drive, and we ultimately ended up testing out a demo version. I will start with the items I find to be an issue, and then talk about the stuff I love. First, as most have said, the vehicle lacks a little bit of power from the 40mph-60mph range, which is basically when you get on an interstate or highway. This is somewhat mitigated through use of the paddle shifters (which can actually be quite fun, but I use them sparingly). The acceleration is just fine otherwise. Starts smoothly and quickly from a stop and accelerates quickly and smoothly once you are already up to speed as in passing situations. The second item that is probably only an issue for me so it is really more of an annoyance and probably won't both many others is the way the dashboard cuts back to the passenger. I am fairly tall (6'-7") and I fit really well on the driver’s side. Plenty of legroom compared to a lot of vehicles in this range. The problem is that when I am a passenger my right knee does not touch the dash when the seat is all the way back, but the dash swoops back towards the passenger at the center console which jams my left knee into it. It is not a big deal on short trips, but I have a feeling I will be doing all of the driving on the long trips. And again, this will only be an issue if you are my height. I would say anyone over 6'-4" to check it out first to see if it bothers you. Those are my only complaints, and quite honestly, they are not all that big of a deal. On to the great stuff. First, the XV Crosstrek has a wonderfully solid ride and handles impeccably. We have owned many other small SUV/CUV vehicles and this one handles like a sports car compared to most of them. I would even go as far to say that it is better than the Acura crossover that we had for about a year. Next, the AWD works like a champ. Traveling for the holidays we were mostly driving through snow and ice, and this thing felt like it was magnetized to the road. On top of that, we were loaded down with two people, a large dog, all of our luggage and Christmas gifts driving in crappy, high wind weather and we still got 30 mpg. When it is just I or my wife driving in normal conditions we average that for both city and highway driving. I have to say this is one of the things that brought me to Subaru in the first place, great gas mileage on an AWD vehicle, and it has more than exceeded my expectations. All of the features of the vehicle are very nice (Moonroof, voice activated Navigation, backup camera etc.) , and I have found the leather interior to feel like it is of very high quality. The other interior finishes are also on par and even the plastics have a soft tactile feel to them. The interior design is simple, which is nice because it does not feel cluttered like a lot of vehicles today. One tech item I wish was part of the vehicle though is a read out of tire pressures. It has a tire pressure monitor/warning system, but nothing that tells you what the pressure currently is. We had this in another vehicle of ours and found it to be a functional and useful tool. On the exterior, I love the rugged yet refined look that the vehicle has from its added height, modified bumpers and especially the rims. Can't say enough how cool the rims are. Finally, a couple of other things to mention I would like to mention. First, the way the engine compartment is setup it will make it very easy to do routine maintenance if that is your thing. I will probably change our own oil and air filter as required. Second, while many dealers are not open to dealing on this vehicle, if you play your cards right, you can still get a deal as some dealers are open to dealing on the price. The biggest suggestion would be to make the dealers compete against one another and don't set foot into the dealership to finalize the deal until you have a price locked from email or phone communication. Doing so allowed us to get our Crosstrek ($28,200 MSRP) for $24,300, which makes for an incredible value on this vehicle. I hope that this review helps anyone that is interested in this vehicle. We really do love this car and could not be happier with it.

Fun & Economical
By pete141 on 12/31/12 10:56 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Am new to the Subaru line - was intrigued by the looks of the Crosstrek. Didn't look like a station wagon or any of the other suv-ish crossovers out on the market today. Lots of pick-up when accelerating onto the highway & changing lanes-enough for my needs anyways. Highway ride is smooth. Have not had to fill the tank yet so can't comment on the gas mileage - although am hoping that it comes in around the advertised 25-28 range for mostly city driving. The AWD did well in the recent wintry mix of a few inches. Never lost traction and went up hills with no problems at all.

Love my new Subaru XV
By stickybutfun on 12/30/12 00:11 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Finally got my Orange Subaru last week. Put 700 miles on it already and loving it. Sometimes I don't know what people want when they say it lacks power. We can only go so fast going from point A to point B. I rather pick a car that gets me 30mpg than go 0-60 in 4 secs. Less MPG= More use of natural resources= bad for environment. Let's hope gas prices doesn't go up to $6 then you will see what I'm talking about. For those that want more power get a sports car, not a practical family car. Car rides smooth, handles great and most importantly gets great gas mileage for a crossover. So far, it is a great car with great styling.

Fits the Bill!
By tinycadon on 12/26/12 21:33 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

bought the cvt premium with moonroof 12/22/12, waited until Mayan apocalypse was over! I'm 6'4" and have plenty of legroom & even with the moonroof still had enough headroom. not the fastest vehicle on the road, but plenty of power to get it moving, merging or passing on the highway, just need to punch it. road noise isn't as bad as consumer reports describes, not sure what they're comparing it to? gas mileage pretty good right out the gate, 28mpgs on 380mi trip doing 70-80 with fully loaded car and only 100 miles on it at start. pretty impressed so far.

Fun and stylish with flaws
By kydriver4 on 12/23/12 15:39 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive XV Crosstrek with smooth shifting manual. Needs 6th gear badly! Revs are way too high above about 65 mph. Needs about 40 to 50 hp, then it would be even more fun. But the looks alone sold me.

Great Car if you can find one!
By dashriprocket on 11/25/12 19:56 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car over a week ago. Three months of constant research after selling my Honda Element which I loved. I was looking for something sold, unique looks, reliability, comfort and just a plain kick but car. My Subaru XV Crosstrek limited in blue with beige interior...not a pocket rocket, but I genuinely love this car. Extremely practical, unique, good looks, great gas mileage, great performance!

Subitrek Follow-up Review of Crosstrek
By subitrek on 11/16/12 10:54 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I posted a review of the Crosstrek Premium CVT several weeks ago. I've had several additional weeks to drive the vehicle. Subaru says that I should get 28 MPG combined and 33 MPG Highway. I have consistently been getting 32+ MPG combined, and 37 MPG highway. This has been a big suprise in getting much better than advertized MPG. If your looking for a vehicle with sports car-like acceleration in mid-range then look elsewhere. However, do yourself a big favor and test drive a Crosstrek, I think you will be really suprised in a good way.

They should make more cars like this
By prometheus20 on 11/15/12 20:47 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car because I wanted a hatchback that can easily handle dirt and wintry roads. Also wanted a car that has good cargo space and is fun to drive. The XV makes great use of its space, especially with the seats folded down. The interior is simple but well constructed. The controls are intuitive. This car is fun to take through corners at a decent speed. Despite the 8.7inches of ground clearance, there's very little body roll. The suspension and traction on rough back roads is great. Acceleration is good from a stand still and adequate in the mid range. Not much torque so I frequently need to downshift for hills. Also, the engine is loud and revs high at highway speed.

So Far, A Great Car
By salacious on 11/12/12 10:23 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The Crosstrek is no Ferrari, but it IS very quick off the mark (i.e., zero to 30-40mph). That said, it also loses its *rate* of acceleration in the mid-speed range prior to reaching 60-70 mph. If you need to keep up a decent (but not great) rate of acceleration, you will need to push down quite a bit further on the gas pedal. Nonetheless, acceleration is easily adequate to merge into freeway traffic. Ignore the reviewers who say otherwise. For the vast majority of gas-mileage-conscious customers looking for a smallish SUV-style of vehicle with a great AWD system, this car is very hard to beat. If you don’t care about gas mileage or AWD or want a boat-like SUV, look elsewhere.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek in VA is:

$139 per month*