Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Always wanted a Subaru and will never get anything else
By emg2211

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Love my crosstrek!! First Subaru ever and I should have got one years ago. Had a mazda3 loved it but horrible in the snow (nurses can't call out for snow storms) and horrible MPGs. So after 5 yrs of almost dying every snow storm in MA I made the choice to get my Subaru and I haven't looked back. I love it. It's safe, great MPGs, awesome in the snow and enough room for friends and my giant dog. If you are looking for a crossover SUV look into it. I will say downsizing engines took a few wks to get used to, pick up isn't as good but it still gets around great. I have about 6500+miles on it.

Heated seats(amazing at 10 degree mornings) Plenty of cargo space MPGs are what they say or better Drives well Great in snow Sunroof Safe

Sun visior is kind of a tight fit Heat is great and warms up fast but my feet are always kind of cold Engine size Sound system needs to be better! My car is the desert khaki, tree droppings from berries and such will stain it be warned. I need to get it buffed, it's not sap it's berry stains. Finish isn't hurt but it somehow has stains all over my car soo bummed!

Great Value & Fun To Drive
By hudsonvalleyny

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 speed Crosstrek rides smooth and handles well on rough roads. It's easy to maneuver, easy to park, has a very tight turning radius and zips around town handily. On the highway it feels solid and holds its own at high speeds. AWD is amazing in snow. Stated gas mileage is accurate, but I can do better: 26-30 in mixed, 32-34 hwy. Interior is comfortable but spartan.You have the basic features you need and they're all standard. Acceleration is surprisingly quick especially if you wind out the gears. Hills need a downshift. Gas pedal is more responsive than the rubbery CVT pedal. It's not as solid and spacious as our 2014 Forester but gets way better gas mileage. Wheels get attention!

Heated seats. Bluetooth works fine with Android and Windows phones. Stick shift gives you direct control over power delivery so the car feels very responsive and agile. You can shift early and the car runs very quietly. Very sporty and fun to drive! My mountain bike fits inside without removing front wheel! MPGs are generally as stated, but this really depend on your driving style. In mixed suburban driving I get: Spirited/aggressive 19-22; Normal 26-29; Eco/Miser 29-34 (that's driving with restrained acceleration, careful braking, early shifting, rolling to red lights or coasting in neutral). Not bad considering our 2014 Forester languishes at a disappointing 22 most of the time!

Choice of engine with higher horsepower if desired. Needs a 6th gear for cruising. A heated steering wheel option for those of us in the northeast. And although the cabin is tight enough, it could use a touch more sound deadening material, which is now built in in the new Hybrid.

Wish I had bought something else
By gypsygal

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't buy cars often and keep them 10+ years, until I get tired of them. Past cars were 2 Nissan trucks, and a CRV, all which served me very well. So I was excited last year to try a new Subaru CrossTrek. The excitement wore off within several months of driving it. Bought it specifically for the gas mileage. It is a city commuter car for me, and it was barely getting 18 mpg. Called the service dept twice and explained the problem, they said its probably my driving habits, and the car needs to be broken in. Oh really? Never had that problem with the other cars. Here we are a year later, and the city MPG is down to 15. Also, the car takes forever to warm up on these Colorado winter days.

If you drive on the freeway for a solid 2 hours, cruise control set at 65, don't stop for any reason, the road you are traveling is more or less level, and don't run the air-conditioning, it does get 37- 40 mpg's. It handles very well in the snow. Very solid. Once you are seated inside the vehicle, it is very comfortable for driving.

Re-evaluate the gas mileage rating. Fix the air compressor problem, each time it kicks on for the air-conditioner, the car shutters with a thump to the extent that feels like you have just been rear-ended. Redesign windows so that snow and water don't run into the tracks and freeze overnight making the windows impossible to open until it thaws out. (I have to open the window to swipe my parking garage pass, and I have never had any vehicle windows freeze up like they do on the Crosstrek) It is difficult to exit the vehicle, seats are situated too far into the vehicle, making it difficult to get your weight over your feet once you put them on the pavement for exiting.

I guess it hit or miss with these cars!
By cdhttlr

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in August and since than have never been able to achieve anything near the EPA fuel mileage of 25 city/33 highway. Best ever was 30 highway and 22 city and its been slowly dropping since new. I now have 3800 miles on it and the last highway trip 100% highway other than 4 on/off ramps. cruise set on 63 the whole time was 26mpg. I struggle now to get 18mpg around town. I even removed the spare tire and jack and rear cargo and floor mats to reduce weight. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it and is probably my driving. Really than why did every other car that I've owned get better then advertised MPGs? A total of 12 cars total beaters to brand new.

I like the interior its pretty basic and that's what I wanted. It comes with nice mats. Paddle shifters are neat but kind of gimmicky and lose there novelty quickly.

Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway. Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin. Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8. Big change. Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips. AWD performs well. Very satisfied.

My goal was the best possible combination of AWD, MPG and Ground Clearance for the lowest price with the best performance in mountain winter snow conditions. The Crosstrek was the perfect fit on paper and has proved to be the perfect fit after 21,000 miles and lots of winter driving. AWD performance is tenacious. Gets me out my steep 60 ft. cabin driveway without shoveling usually. Keeping up with Jeep Wranglers and SUV's on roads in snowstorms and getting twice the MPG. Heated seats, mirrors, wipers, leather work well. Fun to scoot around the city in, easy to park, backup camera useful. Still my Jeep Commander V-8 sometimes. But exactly the smart change I was looking for.

Overhead center storage nook for sunglasses, pens, etc. The optional tray inside the console should have a way to attach and swing up and down instead of having to lift completely out to get to stuff stowed underneath it.

• SUV