Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Not For Big People
By connrailfan

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Subaru XV Crosstrek in August of 2013. It was peppy and fun to drive. They are nice looking cars and have a nice feel for the road. Compared with other cars I test drove, the Crosstrek had less modern, and not thought out dashboard. For example: The main gauges are red, which is great at night, but there are two glaring blue panels in the dash too that compete. There aren't as many gauges as other cars too, mostly warning lights. The dash bezels also squeeked on bumps. I'm a 5' 10" man. I had the seat all the way back. Three months with the car I started have back issues from the seats that grew worse. By this spring it was difficult for me to drive for any length of time.

5/1/16- I sold the Crosstrek soon after I wrote the initial review. The Subaru seats did create a problem with my back. BTW- I never had any back issues until I bought the SV Crosstrek. It took a zillion visits to the chiropractor and about a year driving another vehicle before my back felt better. I never asked the doctor, but I think it might have been my hips that had the real trouble with the Crosstrek seats. I know many people who drive this car with no problems, but I also know some others who had a similar experience to me. If you are having an issue, get rid of the car! The first clue is you will find yourself stuffing pillows in the lumbar area of the seat. I took a big financial hit, but decided my back or hip problems were definitely from the Crosstrek. AND THEY WERE! I sold the car after 8 months and 15,000 miles and have not regretted it.

Fun to Drive, but not on long drives
By bobjeeps

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Very fun to drive, handles very well around corners, has a very good solid feeling. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Well laid out control panel. Love the looks of the car, I get allot of complements everywhere I go. I'm getting about 26,27 mpg mix driving.

Handling is very sure and stable. Style a little different, better than Ford, Toyota.

Allot of road noise on the highway. No tint on the windshield! The ride and seats are awfully hard. The radio has very poor sound quality. Poor quality, cheap carpet.

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in 2013, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it.
I love it!
It's just the right size for us.
Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures.
Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out.
I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones.
It also rides more smooth and quiet.

<br><br>
UPDATE: After 3 yrs I'm still very happy with this car. I have always felt safe and secure with the Crosstrek's handling on snow and ice. Complaints about the paint are legit. All my door handles have slight stratches, but they are not that noticeable. Had problems with a check engine light due to gas cap. Problem went away when I stopped purchasing 87 octane gas and moved up to 89. Toddler car seats fit well, reverse facing infant car seats will only fit in the middle (which is safer anyway). Other than those minor problems, I am still in love with this car. What I love most is it's versatility. Whether you are dropping kids off for school or hauling rocks the Crosstrek can do it all. Purchased roof rack rails and cargo carrier for long trips & that worked very well. Next week I'm installing a hitch for our bike rack! I'm very pleased!

Always wanted a Subaru and will never get anything else
By emg2211

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Love my crosstrek!! First Subaru ever and I should have got one years ago. Had a mazda3 loved it but horrible in the snow (nurses can't call out for snow storms) and horrible MPGs. So after 5 yrs of almost dying every snow storm in MA I made the choice to get my Subaru and I haven't looked back. I love it. It's safe, great MPGs, awesome in the snow and enough room for friends and my giant dog. If you are looking for a crossover SUV look into it. I will say downsizing engines took a few wks to get used to, pick up isn't as good but it still gets around great. I have about 6500+miles on it.

Heated seats(amazing at 10 degree mornings) Plenty of cargo space MPGs are what they say or better Drives well Great in snow Sunroof Safe

Sun visior is kind of a tight fit Heat is great and warms up fast but my feet are always kind of cold Engine size Sound system needs to be better! My car is the desert khaki, tree droppings from berries and such will stain it be warned. I need to get it buffed, it's not sap it's berry stains. Finish isn't hurt but it somehow has stains all over my car soo bummed!

Great Value & Fun To Drive
By hudsonvalleyny

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 speed Crosstrek rides smooth and handles well on rough roads. It's easy to maneuver, easy to park, has a very tight turning radius and zips around town handily. On the highway it feels solid and holds its own at high speeds. AWD is amazing in snow. Stated gas mileage is accurate, but I can do better: 26-30 in mixed, 32-34 hwy. Interior is comfortable but spartan.You have the basic features you need and they're all standard. Acceleration is surprisingly quick especially if you wind out the gears. Hills need a downshift. Gas pedal is more responsive than the rubbery CVT pedal. It's not as solid and spacious as our 2014 Forester but gets way better gas mileage. Wheels get attention!

Heated seats. Bluetooth works fine with Android and Windows phones. Stick shift gives you direct control over power delivery so the car feels very responsive and agile. You can shift early and the car runs very quietly. Very sporty and fun to drive! My mountain bike fits inside without removing front wheel! MPGs are generally as stated, but this really depend on your driving style. In mixed suburban driving I get: Spirited/aggressive 19-22; Normal 26-29; Eco/Miser 29-34 (that's driving with restrained acceleration, careful braking, early shifting, rolling to red lights or coasting in neutral). Not bad considering our 2014 Forester languishes at a disappointing 22 most of the time!

Choice of engine with higher horsepower if desired. Needs a 6th gear for cruising. A heated steering wheel option for those of us in the northeast. And although the cabin is tight enough, it could use a touch more sound deadening material, which is now built in in the new Hybrid.