Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Frustrated
By Steph

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 70,000 on my 2013 cross trek, I have had both front axels replaced due to both failing, I've never gone off road or done anything but normal everyday driving. It took arguing and having to call Suburu directly but they did cover the cost of both. Now my car will not go out of park, apparently another malfunction this car is known for, being repaired tomorrow. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and this is by far the worse car I've ever had, I don't trust it. Shame on Suburu.

disappointed.
By Ira Blackburn

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought new 2013 Crosstrek knowing its limitations. We have 40,000 miles on the odometer and took it to the dealership to diagnose a noise in the front end. The Dealership diagnosed a broken front strut and a $700 repair. I've never heard of a car breaking a strut at 40k that wasn't wrecked or abused. We've gone from loving it to WTF? and hating it.

Nice ride at expense of tire wear
By Shelly Marshall

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I like the feel of driving this. Good points is the MPG (unless the wind blows against you then it drops by 10 MPG--that is not a joke! ANYTHING but dring downhill and you lose the great milage) I have a cage in back for little dogs--and I like the way that works. The storage is wonderful. easy to see out windows and easy to drive in traffic.

Down side. Cloth seats stain when you sneeze! Horrible how bad the seats look in just a few years. I wish I had gotten leather. Very noisy on the road--good thing noise doesn't bother me too much but it drives others crazy. The worst thing about the vehicle is the tire wear. The vehicle is not worth it because it eats tires like crazy and the dealers and Customer Service for Subaru both handle this fact as if it is your fault.
This is what dealers in Arizona, California, Utah, Montana and Alaska have actually said to me:
a) its your driving
b) its out of alignment (fixed THREE times but never corrected tire wear)
c) its because you carry an ice chest and food in the back when you travel
d) its the 300 lb motorcycle trailer you pull
e) its all the potholes you hit
f) it must be heavy passengers that you carry in back
g) its your toy Pomeranians that you carry in a cage in back
h) its the tires you buy

It's not any of those things. At 70,000 miles, I was on my 5th set of tires! The first set went out at 19,000! What is up with that? The last set of tires I bought were rated hard tires (602) with a 60,000-mile warranty and after only 25,000 miles Subaru in Fairbanks refused to rotate the tires because they say I need new ones, AGAIN! It was Anchorage Subaru who told me if I bought the hard tires and they wore out that fast, that the tire company would honor the warranty. I figured it was a good solution to badly wearing tires--problem was, when the tire company saw the tires, they blamed the Crosstrek and refused to honor the warranty.

Incredible. I own a 2013 CrossTrek. Something is very wrong with the tire wear. Soft tires get 15,000 and hard rubber gets 25,000--that is not right. Buyers beware. (You will find more reviews like this about the tires on the Internet). There is either something wrong with the Subaru I bought or with he crosstalk in general.

My second major complaint is the customer care department. The problem showed up at 19,000 when I almost killed myself on bald tires. that is when the excuses began. Even though I had a 60,000 mile or 3-year warranty, they strung me along until the warranty ran out--paid for one alignment and then kept telling "this time it will be different" . Once the warranty was out, I was out of luck even though there was something definitely wrong with the vehicle and I began the process at 19,000 miles. the only thing Subaru did for me besides string me along until he warranty ran out was align my vehicle, buy one set of tires and assure me they wanted to take care of the problem--which never happened . Hollow words, really.

I will never buy another Subaru. Not because of the tire wear and something being wrong with my vehicle, things go wrong! I own a business and nothing is ever 100%. so I cut slack for businesses. The trouble is the warranty was not honored--not the one that came with the original purchase or their extended warranty.

I expected better from Subaru because they have been good in the past-but this was ridiculous--to blame me (who has driven for 40 years) and make sure that they did not correct the problem and let both my warranties run out. I wasted a lot of time and money on this problem--and as far as I'm concerned, Subaru owes me the money back from my extended warranty because they did not honor it.

I have kept all my records and pictures and even a few tires--if someone does a class action, I'm in.

I want to love this car!
By cdough

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have do love everything about this car, except it burns oil SO badly! After almost 40k miles, Subaru is FINALLY replacing the short block, but I'm told this will only change my oil consumption from 1qt. every ~1800 miles to 1qt. every ~3500-4000 miles. :/ The main culprit is the 0-20W synthetic oil, which is WAY too thin to go 7500 miles without an oil change and I plan on switching to a higher weight oil after the warranty is up, even if it means less MPGs. Otherwise, everything else about this car is AWESOME!! Subaru may have lost a Subaru for life customer though. :(

Style, ground clearance, all weather maneuverability! I love almost everything about it!

The engine! This is the 2nd major engine problem for Subaru since the early 2000s. They should go back to the 2.2L engine from the 90s, which is the BEST engine they ever built! You cannot kill it!

Absolutely Scary On Ice
By rsw4

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car based on its value and all we had heard about how great subaru cars are on snow and ice. Unfortunately, the Crosstrek disappoints. We recently made a trip in ny we encountered snowy roads and icy spots. This car fishtails every time you hit an icy spot to the point where you believe you will spin out and constantly makes you feel out of control. It has a floaty feeling like the car is unstable. It is unsafe to have to be doing 40 on thruway a with blinkers on when you are being passed by Camrys and all other SUVs which appear to be in perfect control. This car is just scary to drive on snowy roads! I don't know if it is the cvt or the tires. In any event we will trade

Fix the handling on snow and ice. Shame on Subaru. Someone is going to get killed!