2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
Wish I had bought something else
By gypsygal on 02/09/14 07:16 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't buy cars often and keep them 10+ years, until I get tired of them. Past cars were 2 Nissan trucks, and a CRV, all which served me very well. So I was excited last year to try a new Subaru CrossTrek. The excitement wore off within several months of driving it. Bought it specifically for the gas mileage. It is a city commuter car for me, and it was barely getting 18 mpg. Called the service dept twice and explained the problem, they said its probably my driving habits, and the car needs to be broken in. Oh really? Never had that problem with the other cars. Here we are a year later, and the city MPG is down to 15. Also, the car takes forever to warm up on these Colorado winter days.

I guess it hit or miss with these cars!
By cdhttlr on 01/28/14 21:41 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in August and since than have never been able to achieve anything near the EPA fuel mileage of 25 city/33 highway. Best ever was 30 highway and 22 city and its been slowly dropping since new. I now have 3800 miles on it and the last highway trip 100% highway other than 4 on/off ramps. cruise set on 63 the whole time was 26mpg. I struggle now to get 18mpg around town. I even removed the spare tire and jack and rear cargo and floor mats to reduce weight. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it and is probably my driving. Really than why did every other car that I've owned get better then advertised MPGs? A total of 12 cars total beaters to brand new.

Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy on 01/14/14 15:48 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway. Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin. Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8. Big change. Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips. AWD performs well. Very satisfied.

winter heat
By rumely on 01/07/14 06:58 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

for the most part I was happy with the XV till winter came. it dives fine but there is very low heat out put at the floor. it feels like the AC is on. the dealer pulled it in a heated shop to check it. ? and did not drive it out the back roads like i do to and from work. The heater stays set on high and i never get warm. they said it was working fine. My old VW Bugs had way better heat.

Great Car for the Money
By meandrew228 on 11/12/13 13:22 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my third Subaru, I have been driving mostly German cars over the years but my last 3 cars which I usually keep no more than 18 months haveall been subies. love the german cars but quality over the years has gone down hill. not sure what it is but I love the control of the All wheel Drive it just sucks the road. I drove a 2011 outback for a little while with the cvt and was under powered. I choose the 5 speed crosstrek because of the lack of power on the cvt . I think if you stick with the 5 speed it really brings out the true car. it would be even better is there was a turbo version. the build quality is better than the outback probably because its made in japan.

Safest Car On the Road
By spenza253 on 10/08/13 04:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

A few nights ago I hit a deer with my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, unfortunately she might be totaled. The most amazing thing about this car? How safe it is! I hit the deer going about 55 mph, both the steering wheel airbag and, to my surprise because I did not know it existed, an airbag at knee - calf level. Upon hitting the deer the car felt solid, and in the drivers seat I felt completely secure, I was not going anywhere. My Subaru provided me with the ultimate protection from the accident and I will forever rant about how safe and amazing this car is. I am 17 years old and this was my first car, and I recommend this car for worried parents who want the safest car on the road.

Love is what subaru is about is right!
By mlevato on 09/27/13 09:24 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Never had a Subaru before. Son & daughter in law have had a few. Live in Michigan where winter is rough. Son convinced me to lease new Crosstrek. I love it!!! I get super great gas mileage. In fact one time I went 20 days between fill ups. I usually get anywhere from 25-29 miles per gallon, in the city. I don't drive freeway often. I can't wait to see how it handles in the winter. When lease is up I am considering going to an Outback or Forrester. Son drives Forrester, says ride isn't as smooth as CrossTrek. Outlback is. So may be that one. I have no complaints what so ever. I love love my CrossTrek.

After 9 months review
By rivernsnow on 09/20/13 11:26 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Nice Little SUV. Cool looking! Sufficiant power, but not a sports car. Steady pedal application versus jamming it down, eliminates most of the comments about droning or response. Very comfortable front seats, Great road hugging performance! Rides rougher than expected. It's small so with two adults and a toddler on a road trip it's really packed to the max. Like Edmunds review said, does not get advertised mileage. Expect 25.5- 26 MPG average Using 89 octane brings it up to 27- 28 Bad - can't power or remote entry lock without arming alarm. If you use a sub key/non remote entry key, alarm wakes neighbors at 5 AM. Manual locking not available on rear hatch!!! No air vents for rear passengers

I love my Crosstrek, but it needs more power
By noah_early on 09/19/13 11:07 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I work in DC, but we own a cabin in Lexington, VA and live in Northern VA. It handles gravel roads as well as the interstate and gets very close to the EPA ratings. If you are disappointed with your's try comparing your odometer with mile markers or GPS. Mine reads almost 2% slow, which means we are actually getting .6 MPG better than the car calculates. The ground clearance is perfect, our 80+ pound lab mix can get in and out of it without the struggle he has with our Jeeps and it has not bottomed out on several rutted, gravel roads. Also check visibility before buying. The high belt line and low roof make rear visibility poor for shorter drivers.

Love my subaru
By cgoodall on 08/27/13 11:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in January, 2013. Thus far, I have 16,000 miles of mostly highway driving (probably a 75/25 split) and am averaging 32-33 MPG with the automatic transmission. Though it doesn't have exceptional power or acceleration. what do you expect from a 4 cylinder motor? While the synthetic oil is certainly more expensive, you don't need to change oil except every 7,500 miles (some say 10,000 miles). This makes it roughly comparable to annual oil costs with regular oil. I have gone many places that a regular 2 WD sedan would never have taken me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek in VA is:

$139 per month*