Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Crosstrek Problems
By catskhiker

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 35,000mi purchased in 2012. It eats a qt of oil aprx every 12-1500 mi. The manual says this is normal for a boxer engine. I've had many boxer engines & NONE of the others ate oil. It also eats the right rear tire. You have to buy AWD tires in groups of 4, so this is expensive. I sorta like the car & love the look, but my old vw bug had more pep. Both have manual trans. Seriously considering trading it in.

Design inside & out. I'm 6'2"/250lbs & it's plenty big enough for me.

I would much prefer the old elec push button engaging the 2nd axle. It was a thousand times better then constant awd. Fix this problem of destroying right rear tires & excessive oil consumption.

Lack of power/ CVT, delayed acceleration
By av98

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

If possible they need to add more power, and subaru need to fix CVT delayed acceleration I guess engine has to be 2.5L or 3.0L or more.. And last thing is the noise!!!!! Its annoying. Everthing else on the car is good..

Ground clearance and symetrical awd

Power, engine, noise, cvt improvement

Not For Big People
By connrailfan

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Subaru XV Crosstrek in August of 2013. It was peppy and fun to drive. They are nice looking cars and have a nice feel for the road. Compared with other cars I test drove, the Crosstrek had less modern, and not thought out dashboard. For example: The main gauges are red, which is great at night, but there are two glaring blue panels in the dash too that compete. There aren't as many gauges as other cars too, mostly warning lights. The dash bezels also squeeked on bumps. I'm a 5' 10" man. I had the seat all the way back. Three months with the car I started have back issues from the seats that grew worse. By this spring it was difficult for me to drive for any length of time.

The all wheel drive is awesome. Driving in the snow using the manual mode and the paddle shifters was great. I've driven many four wheel drives and the XV Crosstrek was easily the most sure footed.

Redesign the seats!!! There's very little lumbar support. The dash could use some modernizing. I expect Japanese cars to be more advanced, but American cars have better thought out dashboards. Placement of some items are ridiculous. The switch for the heated seats is next to the driver's right hip close enough to be buried under your winter coat or accidentally turned on or off while attaching the seat belt.

Fun to Drive, but not on long drives
By bobjeeps

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Very fun to drive, handles very well around corners, has a very good solid feeling. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Well laid out control panel. Love the looks of the car, I get allot of complements everywhere I go. I'm getting about 26,27 mpg mix driving.

Handling is very sure and stable. Style a little different, better than Ford, Toyota.

Allot of road noise on the highway. No tint on the windshield! The ride and seats are awfully hard. The radio has very poor sound quality. Poor quality, cheap carpet.

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in June, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it. I love it! It's just the right size for us. Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures. Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out. I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones. It also rides more smooth and quiet. I live in the middle of the city, so I drive mostly stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.4 MPG since I bought in June. On a long road trip with heavy crosswinds and a loaded car we avg. 32.7 MPG

Symmetrical AWD feels very secure to icy and snowy roads. Heated seats & mirrors. Most of my previous cars were manual transmissions, so I was a little worried about adjusting to the CVT. It was a seamless transition. It makes a different sound that is for sure, but it is not any louder than any other 4 cylinder I've had. I shopped a lot of cars, and I felt this car gave us everything we wanted and needed. If I added up the same features and options on the other cars I was looking at, I would have to spend $5,000-$8,000 more.

Initially I agreed the speakers are weak. After some tweaking, however, the speakers are willing and capable. The stock settings on the radio are weak. I faded the speakers 3/4 to the front and adjusted treble, bass, etc. Big improvement. That said, if you are a music aficionado and you can swing it, buy the upgraded speakers.