2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
Updated Review
By rivernsnow on 12/17/14 11:29 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

20 months in (review Feb 2013) I'm loving my XV. The jittery steering calmed down after 1-2 months. Handles great in rain downpours. Driving onto beaches to launch kayaks has been easy when other cars spin wheels. Had enough power at altitude (8,000 Ft.) Front seats very comfortable. Mileage still not as advertised. 26+ MPG on 89 Octane. Minus' are still that power locking automatically actives alarm and paint scratches much too easily. and rear seats need to be more comfortable

19 months in and so in love
By shaina0707 on 12/06/14 11:28 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I reviewed my car at 3 months, and at 19 months and 20,000 miles later, I can confidently say that this is the best car I've ever owned (I was loyal to Toyota in the past). I've seen lots of complaints on gas mileage and I just don't understand - I drive quite a bit of city and then some highway to work and I average 27.5 in winter and 29.5 in summer. My mom drives all short city trips and is closer to 25.5 (EPA estimate is 23 city, so that makes perfect sense). I've been out in several Cleveland snowstorms and the handling was so amazing and I felt so safe. My husband loves it so much that in bad weather he will not take out his 4WD Trailblazer but instead uses my car. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

Don't bother buying
By luism2013 on 11/17/14 14:33 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Car consumes way to much oil for a brand new car. Never thought I would spend so much on just oil. Spend more time getting oil for the car then I do getting gas. My oil light came on right after I purchased the vehicle and had the dealer see what was wrong they said it was just low. After topping it off I began my trip home and on an empty road the oil light came on had to drive it several hundred me to get oil. Took it in to a dealer and say the car normally burns 1 quart every 1200 miles. You do an oil change every 7000 miles that's 5-6 quarts of oil at 10 bucks a quart. Never had any problems. So with other vehicles first and last subaru I personally buy. Also the car over revs.

Crosstrek Problems
By catskhiker on 09/12/14 07:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 35,000mi purchased in 2012. It eats a qt of oil aprx every 12-1500 mi. The manual says this is normal for a boxer engine. I've had many boxer engines & NONE of the others ate oil. It also eats the right rear tire. You have to buy AWD tires in groups of 4, so this is expensive. I sorta like the car & love the look, but my old vw bug had more pep. Both have manual trans. Seriously considering trading it in.

Lack of power/ CVT, delayed acceleration
By av98 on 08/13/14 12:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

If possible they need to add more power, and subaru need to fix CVT delayed acceleration I guess engine has to be 2.5L or 3.0L or more.. And last thing is the noise!!!!! Its annoying. Everthing else on the car is good..

Not For Big People
By connrailfan on 04/30/14 18:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Subaru XV Crosstrek in August of 2013. It was peppy and fun to drive. They are nice looking cars and have a nice feel for the road. Compared with other cars I test drove, the Crosstrek had less modern, and not thought out dashboard. For example: The main gauges are red, which is great at night, but there are two glaring blue panels in the dash too that compete. There aren't as many gauges as other cars too, mostly warning lights. The dash bezels also squeeked on bumps. I'm a 5' 10" man. I had the seat all the way back. Three months with the car I started have back issues from the seats that grew worse. By this spring it was difficult for me to drive for any length of time.

Fun to Drive, but not on long drives
By bobjeeps on 03/16/14 16:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Very fun to drive, handles very well around corners, has a very good solid feeling. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Well laid out control panel. Love the looks of the car, I get allot of complements everywhere I go. I'm getting about 26,27 mpg mix driving.

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack on 03/09/14 18:57 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in June, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it. I love it! It's just the right size for us. Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures. Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out. I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones. It also rides more smooth and quiet. I live in the middle of the city, so I drive mostly stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.4 MPG since I bought in June. On a long road trip with heavy crosswinds and a loaded car we avg. 32.7 MPG

Always wanted a Subaru and will never get anything else
By emg2211 on 02/22/14 21:11 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Love my crosstrek!! First Subaru ever and I should have got one years ago. Had a mazda3 loved it but horrible in the snow (nurses can't call out for snow storms) and horrible MPGs. So after 5 yrs of almost dying every snow storm in MA I made the choice to get my Subaru and I haven't looked back. I love it. It's safe, great MPGs, awesome in the snow and enough room for friends and my giant dog. If you are looking for a crossover SUV look into it. I will say downsizing engines took a few wks to get used to, pick up isn't as good but it still gets around great. I have about 6500+miles on it.

Great Value & Fun To Drive
By hudsonvalleyny on 02/12/14 18:41 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek SUV Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 speed Crosstrek rides smooth and handles well on rough roads. It's easy to maneuver, easy to park, has a very tight turning radius and zips around town handily. On the highway it feels solid and holds its own at high speeds. AWD is amazing in snow. Stated gas mileage is accurate, but I can do better: 26-30 in mixed, 32-34 hwy. Interior is comfortable but spartan.You have the basic features you need and they're all standard. Acceleration is surprisingly quick especially if you wind out the gears. Hills need a downshift. Gas pedal is more responsive than the rubbery CVT pedal. It's not as solid and spacious as our 2014 Forester but gets way better gas mileage. Wheels get attention!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Suv in VA is:

$139 per month*