Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Three years in a CrossTrek
By Maxwell Subatarian

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased mine in winter of 2013 and recently turned it in rather than buying it. The CrossTrek is an OK car with good attributes and flaws. On snow it is ok, but not great. With the OEM tires, it was terrible here in northern Michigan. I added a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks which significantly improved traction. But the car is lightweight with makes it prone to sliding around even with awd and winter tires. I did appreciate the car's interior. The firm seats are great and help up over three years and 34,000 miles. There is a surprising amount of room in the passenger compartment, but not too much in the back with the rear seat up. The engine was always very loud on acceleration and got very noisy after about 30k miles - sounded like ball bearings in a coffee can. This is one issue. Subaru needs to put a far more powerful engine in this car. The little 2.0liter, 150HP engine is way under-powered for this car. Mechanically, only a few minor problems the dealer took care of. Big issue was concerns over safety. I nailed a 150 pound deer head-on at 45 miles per hour and the damage to the car was immense ($13,500 bill). The entire front end of the car (bumper, fenders, hood, roof, windshield, lights, numerous engine components due to the battery rupturing) needed to be replaced. It folded up like tinfoil. After that I never felt safe in the car. The sloping front end of the car threw the deer into the windshield in on the front of the roof denting it. Regardless of how many airbags it has one cannot beat the laws of physics. I dreaded the possibility of hitting a truck or large car. That's why it gone. Would not buy another one. If you want a Subaru, go with the bigger ones.

Great little car
By Lc

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In/out easy hip height seats

works great
By l c

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

good small car with super price

Frustrated
By Steph

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 70,000 on my 2013 cross trek, I have had both front axels replaced due to both failing, I've never gone off road or done anything but normal everyday driving. It took arguing and having to call Suburu directly but they did cover the cost of both. Now my car will not go out of park, apparently another malfunction this car is known for, being repaired tomorrow. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and this is by far the worse car I've ever had, I don't trust it. Shame on Suburu.

disappointed.
By Ira Blackburn

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought new 2013 Crosstrek knowing its limitations. We have 40,000 miles on the odometer and took it to the dealership to diagnose a noise in the front end. The Dealership diagnosed a broken front strut and a $700 repair. I've never heard of a car breaking a strut at 40k that wasn't wrecked or abused. We've gone from loving it to WTF? and hating it.