2010 Subaru Tribeca 3.6L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - My 1st Subaru is disappointing

2010 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Review

2010 Subaru Tribeca 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

3.6R Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

My 1st Subaru is disappointing
By bob636 on

2010 Subaru Tribeca 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a used 2010 Tribeca 3.6 L engine , my first Subaru, and am rather pleased except for a 'howl' in my automatic transmission. The sound changes as goes up through gears and especially noticeable from start through 2nd. Dealer has determined it is the alternator since engine speed also changes as gears change. Cannot believe any auto manufacturer would make their top of the line 'touring' vehicle with this howl or whine as I have been told by others. Either way a defective alternator OR transmission needs to be replaced.

Favorite Features

AWD and safey crash ratings especially on informedforlife.org

Suggested Improvements

So far at 50,000 miles the brakes and rotors replaced, tires (now spare is not matched to the 4 on the car, rack & pinion, front hub cap (fell off), 3rd brake light, missing engine coolant, hole under front seats... This vehicle needs to be more reliable with less failure of items. If the transmission is failing this may be the last straw. Dealers say all Subaru's make this noise, but if so would think Subaru customer contacts would find documentation on this.