Used 2010 Subaru Tribeca 3.6R Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

My 1st Subaru is disappointing
By bob636

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a used 2010 Tribeca 3.6 L engine , my first Subaru, and am rather pleased except for a 'howl' in my automatic transmission. The sound changes as goes up through gears and especially noticeable from start through 2nd. Dealer has determined it is the alternator since engine speed also changes as gears change. Cannot believe any auto manufacturer would make their top of the line 'touring' vehicle with this howl or whine as I have been told by others. Either way a defective alternator OR transmission needs to be replaced.

Favorite Features

AWD and safey crash ratings especially on informedforlife.org

Suggested Improvements

So far at 50,000 miles the brakes and rotors replaced, tires (now spare is not matched to the 4 on the car, rack & pinion, front hub cap (fell off), 3rd brake light, missing engine coolant, hole under front seats... This vehicle needs to be more reliable with less failure of items. If the transmission is failing this may be the last straw. Dealers say all Subaru's make this noise, but if so would think Subaru customer contacts would find documentation on this.

2010 Tribeca Ltd - 2,000 mile review
By Roman

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After 2000 miles still love the handling and safe feel of the Tribeca. The leather seats are comfortable, and the power moonroof is nice too. The home-link on the sun visor eliminates all the remote control clutter. Have not setup the Blue-tooth as yet. Getting better mileage then advertised, around 18.5 mpg city, don't know about highway. Would like to see more storage compartments up front - glove box just big enough to hold manual nothing else. I have not tried the transmission in Sport mode - regular mode seems plenty perky and alive.

Favorite Features

Love the stability of all wheel drive. Interior and exterior fit and finish are excellent. Appreciate using regular gas. Harman-Kardon stereo sounds nice. The rear AC is handy for our Houston summers. Puddle lights and rear view camera are nice touches. Best of all are handling and comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank is too small; an extra gear would be nice for highway mpg. The rear 2 seats are for emergencies only. What's with the slightly off-center steering wheel ? The temper and fuel gauges are a bit hidden from few. There is an bit of a blind spot where the A pillar meets with the outside mirror.

2000 miles of joy
By Alex K.

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for 7-seat SUV as well as for luxury, safety and reliability. First I tested Audi Q7, then Acura MDX, Lexus. Then looked at Volvo XC90 and BMW X5. Not decided. Then I went to the dealership for my Forester's regular service and tested Tribeca. I felt just as comfortable in it as in the previous cars. Price was much less so it was done deal. Some complain about fuel economy of Tribeca. But guys, this is not your old little Subaru! This is almost a truck! After about 1200 miles I started getting about 16 mpg in Brooklyn and more than 21 mpg on highway. Just as promised. In line with other vehicles in the class. Also it speeds up really well in sport shift mode.

Favorite Features

Superb drive. Adequate power. 7 seats - 5 comfortable + 2 ok. Low maintenance costs and reliability (from experience with Forester). Symmetric, permanent AWD that I think is better than Acura's SH-AWD, Audi's Quattro and BMW's xDrive where systems take time to transfer the power. High safety ratings

Suggested Improvements

When I have two car seats in the second row - normal person fits well between them, but obese won't feel so comfortable. Looking at the dimensions data, the other vehicles I tested are a bit wider. Perhaps it can be made wider too. Anyway, I give it all 10's as it completely satisfies my family need

1000 km Review
By Michael S.

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My family have been loyal Volvo owners for the last 12 years. Given Volvo's current lack of a value proposition we decided to expand our horizons before purchasing a car this year. My checkpoints for our decision were a. needed to be real AWD; b. must accommodate 2 6 ft+ boys comfortably in the back seats; and c. it need to fit our budget. Point A eliminated a bunch of vehicles very quickly. Point B narrowed the list down even further. After looking at Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, VW, Toyota and Nissan's offerings we went off to look at Subaru's offerings on a friends recommendation. We took a 60 minute test drive of the car and came back thrilled with the drive, the space and the value.

Favorite Features

The car drive's superbly and has great road feel. Torque is excellent and acceleration is crisp and responsive. The finish is good, but a bit too plasticky. The real kicker is that it cost $15,000 less any "comparable" SUV on the market. The car is as safe as any other SUV out there.

Suggested Improvements

First thing you need to get over is that the car sounds like a sewing machine when standing outside. After that, all is good. The interior is a B-, C at best. There is just too much plastic. If you don't get the nav system, the screen is basically useless and the bluetooth system is poor.

By South Dakota

2010 Subaru Tribeca SUV 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I read everything on line about the Tribeca. It was frustrating as many of the reviews contradict each other (e.g. one says there is very little body roll, the brakes are great while another says there is too much body roll and the breaks are spongy). You have to drive it yourself to judge. I was a Chevy Trail Blazer owner (LTZ) and I have to say the Tribeca drives way better, is more responsive, and stops quicker than the trailblazer. Yes, a lot of reviewers say gas mileage is poor on the Tribeca. Indeed, but measure it against any other all wheel drive and none of them are any better (the reviewers seem to compare the all wheel drive of the Tribeca with the 2 wheel drive of other make

Favorite Features

interior design, responsive engine, handling

Suggested Improvements

telescoping steering wheel is a necessity, other things are less necessary but nice: automatic headlights (with a delay when you shut off the car), rain sensitive windshield wipers, and an easier way of changing settings (e.g. via menu choices)