Great car
By scott2s on
2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
I really like this SUV. It drives like a car, handles excellent in the rain and snow and has enough seating for our family. The gas mileage is average for a SUV of this size with AWD but with it would be better. My teen age son prefers to sit in the rear seat and has plenty of space, so not sure why the 3rd row seat gets the bad rap in the Edmonds reviews. This isn't a Suburban and I don't think anyone should expect caverns of storage and lay out seating in a SUV of this size. This is just right for the daily driver and the ocational family road trip. When I need extra storage space I use a $60 hitch mounted storage shelf that I store totes on. Works great to put extra gear.
Favorite Features
Drives like a car! I bought the Tribeca for the AWD and third row seating. I think the 20mpg gas mileage is on par if you compare with other AWD SUV's in this size.
Suggested Improvements
Gas tank is on the small side. The side mirrors are very large and do not need to be this size. I see mirrors this size on pickup trucks hauling a RV, not on a small SUV. They look like Dumbo ears and create a big blind spot when driving. The build quality is good overall but little niggling things like pitting chrome on the grill or the rubber trunk release button ripping is anoying.