Used 2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition 7-Passenger SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Great car
By scott2s

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV. It drives like a car, handles excellent in the rain and snow and has enough seating for our family. The gas mileage is average for a SUV of this size with AWD but with it would be better. My teen age son prefers to sit in the rear seat and has plenty of space, so not sure why the 3rd row seat gets the bad rap in the Edmonds reviews. This isn't a Suburban and I don't think anyone should expect caverns of storage and lay out seating in a SUV of this size. This is just right for the daily driver and the ocational family road trip. When I need extra storage space I use a $60 hitch mounted storage shelf that I store totes on. Works great to put extra gear.

Favorite Features

Drives like a car! I bought the Tribeca for the AWD and third row seating. I think the 20mpg gas mileage is on par if you compare with other AWD SUV's in this size.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank is on the small side. The side mirrors are very large and do not need to be this size. I see mirrors this size on pickup trucks hauling a RV, not on a small SUV. They look like Dumbo ears and create a big blind spot when driving. The build quality is good overall but little niggling things like pitting chrome on the grill or the rubber trunk release button ripping is anoying.

Disappointed
By ib76

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was very excited about my new car, but only for 2 weeks. I purchased used car with 12,000 miles. Then problems started- rattles and transmission. My new car didn't accelerate well, made strange noises, took it to the dealer, reflushed transmission and after 3 weeks the same problem came back. Extremely disappointed. Suppose to be fun car to drive but turned out to be a complete disaster. After 3 months I traded in my Tribeca, of course lost a lot of money : (.

Favorite Features

hmm - liked interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

make cars that last

After three Lexus Rxs This is a real gem
By Jim D

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Having leased Lexus RX vehicles for seven years, and enjoying all of them. I took advantage of the opportunity to buy a low mileage Tribeca. While it doesn't have all the features (integrated bluetooth/Nav, express up/down windows, power rear hatch release/keyless entry etc.) it is an extraordinary vehicle that I have come to enjoy very much. Multiple trips to the North woods of Wisconsin have become my second hobby because of the Tribeca. Fit & Finish, features, quality of workmanship, power/safety/great 4x4, Ipod connectivity, great seats, and best of all; it has Japanese quality control, but is assembled in Indiana. I love the car, and it may be my last new car purchase.

Favorite Features

Love the interior layout and features, such as the Ipod connectivity. Great headroom in the car and in entry (much better than my old Lexus). Quick acceleration, strong braking and wonderful handling make this car a comfortable and practical delight to drive. And it is made in the USA.

Suggested Improvements

Poor Nav system (should have more intuitive and less confusing controls and MUCH better resolution and contrast), poor gas mileage and unacceptably small gas tank. Max range is 300 mi on a good day. Should add power liftgate for the rear and express up/down for ALL windows. Needs in trunk spare.