Used 2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Not happy!
By kari

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned four Subaru Outbacks prior to this 2009 Subaru Tribeca and thanks to this nightmare I will never buy another one! We purchased the car brand new. I wanted another Subaru for sure but thought I would try another model. My station wagons NEVER broke down and drove problem free for years. This car had been in the shop due to " check engine" light on within the first eight months. Only to be told it's a faulty sensor and is fine. Yesterday my car lost power at 55 miles per hour- NO STEERING, NO GAS, check engine light back on and all I could was coast off the road. The car had to be towed. Service found the computer needed to be " updated" and now my car should be fine? NIGHTMARE.

Favorite Features

I think the car is good looking, comfy- but after my experience I can no longer say this car is SAFE!!! All Subaru can say is the computer system needed some updating?

Suggested Improvements

Computer system, gas mileage, leather seats, slippage of torque converter in 5th gear!

Outstanding Vehicle
By Len

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in a 2007 Lincoln MKZ on my Tribeca. The Tribeca is superior to the Lincoln in every way. It is extremely roomy (professional reviews notwithstanding). Build quality is superb, no rattles, upscale looking, tons of room for passengers and cargo. I also have a 2008 Outback, and I can say that Subaru has it all together. If you are worried about buying American, note that my Lincoln was assembled in Mexico, both my Subarus assembled in Indiana. Which is the "American" car?????

Favorite Features

look of dashboard, quietness, comfort

Suggested Improvements

bigger gas tank

Great bang for our buck
By mkscott2

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Shopped for a new car for 3 years. We knew we were going to get a Subaru, and settled on the Forester, but ended up with Tribeca because of the size of the back seat (can sit between two large carseats comfortably), and a great deal on this model. Initially was not interested in Tribeca because of the high octane fuel requirement, which apparently changed this MY. Took on its first long road trip, and so far has been extremely comfortable and fun to drive. It has everything we were looking for in a long-distance vehicle. The safety features are certainly a great selling point. There aren't many options/accessories that we feel are missing. Nice, solid vehicle!

Favorite Features

Fun fun fun to drive! Fit and finish/build quality, seats are very comfortable, very smooth ride without being a marshmallow, lots of room, well placed controls, large windows (esp. back), AWD, shiftable 5-speed automatic, loads of standard features.

Suggested Improvements

Gauge layout is not optimal, standard integrated Ipod port, pan. Sunroof like Forester, 1 touch up/down on all 4 windows, better gas mileage- who doesn't want that?

Not a MiniVan
By steveni1234

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After test driving CUVs from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Ford, the Subaru was a very pleasant surprise. The engine is very drivable around town and the ride experience is as luxurious as the premium brands. The Tribeca feels more like a car as opposed to the minivan roots of the Toyota Venza and the Ford Edge. Interior room for five is exceptional and rear storage area is huge. Build quality approaches the luxury brands. If you are in the market for a vehicle in this class, test drive them carefully. My experience did not match up with the reviews on this site. It was almost as if the experts were driving different cars!!!

Favorite Features

Great engine. Taut and responsive handling. Car-like driving position seated lower and further away from the windshield similar to GLK and Q5. The Venza, Journey and Edge handle like a minivan; the driving position is high and forward.

Suggested Improvements

Auto Headlights. Integrated Bluetooth. Lose the nav screen on the video screen unless you're using the nav function. Towing over 1000 lbs. requires trailer brakes. Most small boats and campers in this size category don't have brakes and Subaru does not offer a brake controller.