Used 2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Enjoyed my Subaru
By dowpwr

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Had my 2009 Subaru for 5 years and I really enjoyed it. It drove more like a sedan with the horizontally opposed engine which is one of the reasons I bought this car over the Lexus or highlander. Great in snow, and fun to drive. Peppy off the start. Technology was way behind (nav useless). In fact all the tech in the car was below average, but if you don't care about that kind of stuff it's not a deal breaker. Never had any problems with the car. Gas mileage was low. 13 around city. Long trips I'd average 21mpg. Small tank hurt its range. Couldn't get 300 miles without worrying about where the next gas station was.

Favorite Features

engine, steering, cornering, acceleration. awd is awesome on this car.

Suggested Improvements

Tech is way behind. Gas mileage and range is poor. No bluetooth. Nav is not functional.

Great car
By scott2s

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV. It drives like a car, handles excellent in the rain and snow and has enough seating for our family. The gas mileage is average for a SUV of this size with AWD but with it would be better. My teen age son prefers to sit in the rear seat and has plenty of space, so not sure why the 3rd row seat gets the bad rap in the Edmonds reviews. This isn't a Suburban and I don't think anyone should expect caverns of storage and lay out seating in a SUV of this size. This is just right for the daily driver and the ocational family road trip. When I need extra storage space I use a $60 hitch mounted storage shelf that I store totes on. Works great to put extra gear.

Favorite Features

Drives like a car! I bought the Tribeca for the AWD and third row seating. I think the 20mpg gas mileage is on par if you compare with other AWD SUV's in this size.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank is on the small side. The side mirrors are very large and do not need to be this size. I see mirrors this size on pickup trucks hauling a RV, not on a small SUV. They look like Dumbo ears and create a big blind spot when driving. The build quality is good overall but little niggling things like pitting chrome on the grill or the rubber trunk release button ripping is anoying.

2009 Tribeca
By evansubi

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle 2 years ago. At the time I was torn between the Tribeca and the Toyota Highlander. I priced both cars with the same (7seater, fully loaded) extras. Tribeca came to $39,200 and the Highlander $44,700. Then Toyota was willing to cut approx $1500-2000 dollars and Subaru cut $5000! So my final price for my car came to 34,200 dollars compare to 42,700 saved me about 8000... that alone is a great reason... No problems so far.. Fast (8sec 0-60), economy I get is between 18-20mpg mixed. Drove it to new york ave 20.5-22.5 mpg on 65-85mph Only concern is front shock sound.. will check at the dealer.. by the way 15.99 OIL Change is also a plus.!!!

Favorite Features

Love the interior design, DVD, Navi, pleanty of extras.... Nice power for a heavy suv.

Suggested Improvements

Rear bench seat might be a little hard for some people especially older crowd. Need bigger gas tank! Stop using goodyear tires, they suck! Rear door not auto opening/closing!

Sucks gas, eats headlight bulbs and the doors won't unlock
By tommymight

I had my 2009 Tribeca Limited for 2 1/2 years and I just traded it on a new non-Subaru vehicle. More negatives than positives for me. Issue #1 is the fuel economy. I got 15 mpg around town in good weather and 12-13 mpg in winter. The car is great in snow, especially with Hakapelitta snow tires. On the highway, it was a miracle to get 21 mpg. The fuel tank is small - 16 gallons and I was filling it up constantly. Navigation system was weak, a $300 Garmin blew it away. This car EATS headlight and brake bulbs. I installed headlight bulbs 3 times in 2 1/2 years and brake bulbs twice. Dealer parts department told me they sold a ton of bulbs. The remote key unlock took 4 clicks to open all doors

Favorite Features

Convenient interior electronic controls Easy entry and egress Rear seat fold down adds a lot of rear space Remote starter Seats fold down easy Handles great in snow Plenty of head room even for taller drivers

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank with better mileage Improve remote key unlocking Boring ride - engine is sluggish Navigation system is more for show than go Bulb situation is annoying. Headlight bulbs should last longer than 6 months especially when using the dealer factory bulbs properly installed with vinyl gloves to prevent finger oil from reducing bulb life. They are a pain to install and the dealer parts department acknowledged that the sell a lot of headlight and brake bulbs.

Love, Love, Love it.
By Maxwhite

2009 Subaru Tribeca SUV 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a loyal Honda/Nissan customer for 15 years and my husband turned me on to Subaru. It was time to upgrade from his sporty WRX to something more family functional due to the arrival of our first child. I was leaning toward the Touareg or the Cherokee but space was limited. I have always purchased used cars and the 2009 was the only one on the lot when we went shopping. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it and 15 minutes later I told them "I'll take it". It's now been 4 months and all the features meet our needs. I have since added bluetooth, auto start and a dual DVD. The space is incredible and hopefully will continue to fit the bill with two babies.

Favorite Features

Rear air conditioning, third row versatility

Suggested Improvements

Auto down for the front windows, rear camera backup assistance.