2009 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:
Enjoyed my Subaru
By dowpwr on 04/18/14 18:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Had my 2009 Subaru for 5 years and I really enjoyed it. It drove more like a sedan with the horizontally opposed engine which is one of the reasons I bought this car over the Lexus or highlander. Great in snow, and fun to drive. Peppy off the start. Technology was way behind (nav useless). In fact all the tech in the car was below average, but if you don't care about that kind of stuff it's not a deal breaker. Never had any problems with the car. Gas mileage was low. 13 around city. Long trips I'd average 21mpg. Small tank hurt its range. Couldn't get 300 miles without worrying about where the next gas station was.

Great car
By scott2s on 08/10/13 17:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV. It drives like a car, handles excellent in the rain and snow and has enough seating for our family. The gas mileage is average for a SUV of this size with AWD but with it would be better. My teen age son prefers to sit in the rear seat and has plenty of space, so not sure why the 3rd row seat gets the bad rap in the Edmonds reviews. This isn't a Suburban and I don't think anyone should expect caverns of storage and lay out seating in a SUV of this size. This is just right for the daily driver and the ocational family road trip. When I need extra storage space I use a $60 hitch mounted storage shelf that I store totes on. Works great to put extra gear.

2009 Tribeca
By evansubi on 12/21/11 09:38 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle 2 years ago. At the time I was torn between the Tribeca and the Toyota Highlander. I priced both cars with the same (7seater, fully loaded) extras. Tribeca came to $39,200 and the Highlander $44,700. Then Toyota was willing to cut approx $1500-2000 dollars and Subaru cut $5000! So my final price for my car came to 34,200 dollars compare to 42,700 saved me about 8000... that alone is a great reason... No problems so far.. Fast (8sec 0-60), economy I get is between 18-20mpg mixed. Drove it to new york ave 20.5-22.5 mpg on 65-85mph Only concern is front shock sound.. will check at the dealer.. by the way 15.99 OIL Change is also a plus.!!!

Sucks gas, eats headlight bulbs and the doors won't unlock
By tommymight on 05/15/11 16:38 PM (PDT)

I had my 2009 Tribeca Limited for 2 1/2 years and I just traded it on a new non-Subaru vehicle. More negatives than positives for me. Issue #1 is the fuel economy. I got 15 mpg around town in good weather and 12-13 mpg in winter. The car is great in snow, especially with Hakapelitta snow tires. On the highway, it was a miracle to get 21 mpg. The fuel tank is small - 16 gallons and I was filling it up constantly. Navigation system was weak, a $300 Garmin blew it away. This car EATS headlight and brake bulbs. I installed headlight bulbs 3 times in 2 1/2 years and brake bulbs twice. Dealer parts department told me they sold a ton of bulbs. The remote key unlock took 4 clicks to open all doors

Love, Love, Love it.
By Maxwhite on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a loyal Honda/Nissan customer for 15 years and my husband turned me on to Subaru. It was time to upgrade from his sporty WRX to something more family functional due to the arrival of our first child. I was leaning toward the Touareg or the Cherokee but space was limited. I have always purchased used cars and the 2009 was the only one on the lot when we went shopping. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it and 15 minutes later I told them "I'll take it". It's now been 4 months and all the features meet our needs. I have since added bluetooth, auto start and a dual DVD. The space is incredible and hopefully will continue to fit the bill with two babies.

Good car, bad mileage
By rorypang on 06/16/10 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car, last year before the bad North east winter. I was really pleased with its snow weather handling, it left stuck 4runners, and trailbazers behind. The car is excellent with overall driving, however issues I have are; very bad mileage approx. 16 mpg, for city, small fuel tank, dated design, dated nav system, unrealistic third row, the radio steering controls are not practical, no bluetooth, no ipod controls. I am really thinking of trading it in for the X5 diesel, it gives 26 mpg.

Disappointed
By ib76 on 05/12/10 21:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was very excited about my new car, but only for 2 weeks. I purchased used car with 12,000 miles. Then problems started- rattles and transmission. My new car didn't accelerate well, made strange noises, took it to the dealer, reflushed transmission and after 3 weeks the same problem came back. Extremely disappointed. Suppose to be fun car to drive but turned out to be a complete disaster. After 3 months I traded in my Tribeca, of course lost a lot of money : (.

Not happy!
By kari on 04/21/10 06:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned four Subaru Outbacks prior to this 2009 Subaru Tribeca and thanks to this nightmare I will never buy another one! We purchased the car brand new. I wanted another Subaru for sure but thought I would try another model. My station wagons NEVER broke down and drove problem free for years. This car had been in the shop due to " check engine" light on within the first eight months. Only to be told it's a faulty sensor and is fine. Yesterday my car lost power at 55 miles per hour- NO STEERING, NO GAS, check engine light back on and all I could was coast off the road. The car had to be towed. Service found the computer needed to be " updated" and now my car should be fine? NIGHTMARE.

Love my Tribeca
By k mohsen on 03/19/10 22:18 PM (PDT)

We got it during the xmas break. Though our winter was not that snowy this year it was great going up and down our street. Major difference from our fwd VW. I love driving it. Kids love the DVD and headsets. I would definitely get another. Mileage has been better than expected. I drove Montreal to Toronto and managed to achieve 27 mpg @ 65 mph. That is 6 mpg more than the rating. Nav system drove me a little nuts. I could not figure out what the little flag meant. It could have simply stated the word "Start".

good car not good time
By subsub on 02/23/10 19:38 PM (PST)

Car is good in upstate NY snow. the steering is corrective, accelerator cuts out when wheels spin, but...car is kind of heavy and doesn't compare to lightweight Forester on snowy roads straight line braking

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Tribeca in VA is:

$98 per month*