Faulty Transmission. Unrepairable!!
By goodhobbes on
2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
Bought new two years ago. My last Subaru! I purchased this vehicle based upon reputation for reliability. Experienced what appeared to be slippage of the torque converter within the first few days of ownership. A sensation like an engine "miss" in 5th gear (torque converter locked). Dealerships have been unable to correct the problem despite numerous visits, and Subaru Canada have been unable to guide the technicians in finding a "fix".This has persisted for two years. Two new torque converters and numerous adjustments to computer, solenoids,etc. have failed. Subaru has ignored my communications. I am stuck with this vehicle, it appears! Brakes are poor, Front suspension knocks.
Favorite Features
Room, Interior, surefooted traction.
Suggested Improvements
Correct transmission problem. Improve brakes. Improved accountability by Subaru! Improve suspension bushings.
By sept2martin
on 02/05/11 14:35 PM (PST)

Update on this comment. Subaru Canada have been unable or unwilling to fix the issues with this vehicle. The transmission slippage in 5th still there, front suspension knock still there. Local technicians powerless to fix, as Subaru refuses to accept that there is a problem. Three years of driving a car that is constantly jerking on slight climb at highway speeds for someone who drives highway 95% of the time is most annoying. Subaru Canada replied to my last letters advising me that they would not be doing anything further with the car and that the case was "closed"! Subaru Canada have been awful to deal with! Fortunately, the local Subaru dealer is also MB and BMW dealer and gave me a good deal on a new diesel BMW X5. Love it. Good riddance Subaru! Never another, nor ever a recommendation.

By anto64
on 10/07/12 15:48 PM (PDT)

I'm italian. I buy in the 2007 december a new subaru tribeca MY '08 from USA. In the 2009 the transmission breaks due to problems at the electronic control unit of stability . The car is stop for a six month and the automatic transmission comes from USA (? 10.000); then the transmission has problems (bump fro transmission) and I buy a new electronic control unit of stability with new car key. Then in the 2010 the torque converter breaks: my motor mechanic is surprised! The car is stop for 4 month and the torque converter comes from USA. Then in the 2012 the car has a problem with the accelerator (is "miss" and makes bump) and my mechanic now make adjustments at the computer. My Tribeca is the last Subaru for me.