Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Did not meet expecations
By Briofny

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car in April of 08, and just hit 27k miles. Small gas tank, but mileage not bad for an SUV. The fit of the interior of the car is disappointing, loose pieces every where, & the rear hatch is not designed to strategically close when packing. Also, what is the point of the rear blower if I can't control it from the front, my kids cant reach it. The look of the car is great, but I can't justify the looks versus the quality I expect for the prices. A+ on the handling and engine (although Subaru wants me to change the tranny fluid already)! C on interior quality and pointing out as another post did, who scans on the radio any more, let me change my presets from the steering wheel

All Wheel Drive in the North East is key! 23 MPG highway, good acceleration. Sliding second seat with recline.

The radio needs improvement. No reason why in 2009, this isn't a quality design. Rear hatch should be designed to indicate where it will close inside the vehicle. If so, one would know where the limit of packing ends.

Energy Drain
By Overland Park, KS

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car - except two issues that I've had. I have a "phantom" energy drain that leaves me stranded due to a dead battery. It's random, unpredictable and frustrating. I also have had to have the power steering fixed twice - they actually needed to put a new pump (?), regardless, at such low mileage I'm surprised.

I love the interior of this car. The dashboard is beautiful and I think it has more features/gauges/lights and style than the other two cars I looked at, Cadillac SRX and Lincoln MKX.

Go back to the funky, stylish little round headlights. I liked the old look better. The new headlights look like every other car. It used to look more high tech.

Loss of confidence
By Phil in Blaine

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased our Tribeca about 18 months ago, and rated it very high. All of that has changed after being stranded 3 times and numerous trips to the dealer who can't or won't resolve the problems. From the beginning there has been a noise in the engine that the dealer and factory reps hear but can't pinpoint, so it goes unrepaired, also it burns oil but not enough to meet their oil consumption criteria. The steering column locks up, and has stranded us three times, you have to beat and bang on the column to unlock it, the tow driver taught me that, and because you can't duplicate the condition, they can't repair it. This is our first Subaru and it will be our last. Maybe we got a LEMON?

Ride and handling, especially in ice and snow conditions. Seating comfort, and ease of entry.

Better customer service!

Great car for the money
By Tim O

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have 12,000 on my Tribeca, and have been very happy. I was shopping for an SUV w/ 4WD/AWD, good reliability and resale, and wanted some luxury appointments (leather, 6 CD, etc) for not much over $30k. I chose the Subaru over all others in class as I was able to get most everything I wanted without having to compromise too much. The inside and exterior styling are very unique, and the interior is more luxurious and sharp looking that the other cars in class. I've had the car for close to a year and have been very impressed. The AWD system is fantastic in the Iowa winters. After having ridden in all of them, I'm happy I chose this over Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner and Edge.

AWD system is great; unique interior; head and shoulder room for driver is fantastic (I'm 6'1"); ease of rear seat folding; not everyone has one; puddle lights are a nice touch; iPod jack; 18" wheels are great; comfy/supportive seats.

Really needs a telescoping steering wheel; center arm rest needs to slide forward so the driver can rest an elbow on there while holding the wheel; the steering wheel mounted radio control doesn't let you scroll through your presets, it just 'seeks' to the next station which is VERY annoying.

Safe and Secure
By Bigtime

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I leased this vehicle for my sons who went off to school. This is a solid vehicle with excellent safety ratings. It is a substantial vehicle that handles whatever the weather brings. In 3 years mileage will be up substantially for all manufacturers when it it time for a new vehicle. What sold me was the overall passenger room, the styling and safety features. I have not regretted the lease for even a moment. I wish that I were driving it instead of my kids.

Comfortable front seats. Secure handling. Large side mirrors for visibility. Excellent cargo room. One of the safest vehicles on the road.

More second row leg seat room and of course bluetooth capability.