2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:
Outstanding SUV!
By bn2002bn on 05/01/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The first Subaru we've owned and we love it! We were looking at the Honda Pilot(booring look), Toyota Higlander Hybrid(cheapo interior, drives like truck), GMC Acadia(drives like a bigger gas guzzling truck),Acura MDX (liked this but not as much as the Subaru for lots of little reasons not to mention value). The Tribeca immediately stood out. The build quality is excellent. The vehicle exudes confidence between the engine, all-wheel-drive, skid control, and all of the other safety features. The flat engine is extremely smooth even during hard acceleration(almost flooring it). The 3rd row is a little cramped but we only have 2 kids and aren't going cross-country in it either. Great car!

Tribeca is great!
By Dave Mason on 02/19/08 19:06 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Easy to drive, firm on the road, no hassles in rain, snow or sun or even off-road. Nice lay-out inside and I get comments from strangers about its looks!

2008 Tribeca a big improvement
By Bob on 01/23/08 08:07 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have had the Tribeca for 5 months and 6,000 miles. Combination driving I am averaging 19.5 miles. In city - 17 to 18 which is as advertised. Highway only trips 22 - 24. We have had a Land Rover Discovery, Acura MDX, Mercedes ML 320 and Volvo XC70 - this vehicle is every bit as good and much less expensive. Because of those other SUVs I was smart enough to not get the built in Navi. Spent $250 on a Garmin. Almost bought BMW X5 but decided to save $20K - glad I did.

Hidden Gem
By Baystar on 01/21/08 17:27 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2003 Audi A4 Avant because it was so unreliable. The Tribeca is a hidden gem, it has a great ride and all the features of a Lexus RX but costs $12,000 less. While the critics complain about lack of space in rear rows that only applies to the 7 seater, the 5 seater has plenty of leg room. I think Subaru should stop trying to market the Tribeca as a 7 seater. Mileage could be better, but it helps that the Tribeca runs on regular gas. Handling is good enough that I don't miss the Audi. The overall ride is quiet, smooth and feels very sophisticated. The stereo is very good and helps make the commute highly enjoyable. The nav system has worked fine for me thus far.

Another First Time Subaru owner
By Impressed on 01/17/08 15:06 PM (PST)

Like another reviewer, wife's car, was driving an STS.Did all the comparisons of driving and reading reviews plus watched a bunch of comparison videos. Nothing comes close to the performance,handling or safety. Compared to the B9 it is a much improved vehicle. If anyone is looking to buy an SUV because of weather considerations, this car will be one of the last to lose integrity.Great AWD and Traction control that really work.

Nice enjoyable vehicle
By KRB on 01/15/08 13:18 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Tribeca is a fun car to drive. Instrument panel is cool looking and easy to read. Like the interior design. Front seats feel like a "cockpit" not just the front seat of a car. It's tighter on space than other comparable SUVs. Only other negative is that mileage is disappointing. We're getting just over 15mpg all city/local driving.

I've always wanted....
By liswal on 01/14/08 15:16 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I read the reviews, did my research, and bought the car I've always wanted. I've only had it for 4 days. Things I love. The car is comfortable, easy to drive. I love the camera back up feature and the aux for my iPod. Taking my first road trip tomorrow and I can't wait to get it on the open freeway.

Shop Carefully
By Disappointed on 12/23/07 21:54 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Rear-seat riders in 7-passenger model should not be taller than 2 feet. Check leg room carefully. Ceiling mounted seat belt for middle seat, middle row, hits rider to the right in the head. Gas mileage is terrible. Repeat, gas mileage is terrible. Nav screen darkens way too much when headlights turned on. Gas mileage is terrible. Keyless remote unreliable. If you lock car using key, also unlock with key or alarm will sound. Gas mileage is terrible. CD changer repeats same CD, doesn't change to another CD. Must be done manually. Middle seats uncomfortable.

2nd subi in 10 months
By Soobi-tlc on 12/14/07 09:02 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my problematic Audi Allroad finally. We're very impressed with our 08 LL Bean Outback 3.0L that we bought in April. So I tested the Tribeca. I didn't like the interior design too much - spacey. I looked at all the other CUV/SUVs and other wagons that were so much more. Thought about used MDX. Liked the new Subi better. Agree with all comments on stupid nav system. They can fix that by issuing a new software update if they're smart. I'm getting 19mpg on 87octane buzzing around town and commuting 42 miles each way a day. The car has 1750 miles and will improve. Overall very comfortable and pleased. Driving in Sport only helps performance.

Hard to Beat
By C. J. DeSantis on 12/10/07 11:33 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I backed into the Subaru Tribeca because the Acura Dealers were not willing to negotiate on the RDX. That caused me to research more and I found the Tribeca with a six cylinder engine instead of a turbocharged 4 cylinder and I never looked back. I've now had the car 3 months and I am very happy the Acura dealers were shortsighted. The Tribeca is the most fun to drive of any car I have ever owned and I've owned quite a few. It corners and holds the road like a sports car. The "toys" radio, gps, sound sys are excellent. The backup camera is great, especially at night. Mileage is average, in the 18 to 20 range. The one shortcoming is the gas tank. It should have greater capacity.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Subaru Tribeca Suv in WA is:

$122 per month*