2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Passenger SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

2008 Tribeca Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Sort Reviews by

Subaru fan
By CA Subaru

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Subaru - also own 2003 Forester. It snows where we live and the Subaru AWD is arguably the best on the market. Wanted a larger Subaru, but did not like the styling of the original B9 Tribeca, nor its lack of power and premium fuel requirement. All these objections overcome with the new version. It handles like a smaller vehicle, is very secure feeling, and comfortable (except for adults in the third row, but we knew this when we bought it - it is fine for children.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, reliability of Subaru vehicles. Interior styling is excellent. Wife loves the puddle lights. Memory power seat is useful.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank. Bluetooth connectivity. The navigation software was out of date when purchased, but Subaru offered to reimburse me for the latest version.

Very Pleased
By lisa

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the '08 Tribeca 6months ago. I am very happy with the vehicle. I previously had the Audi A4 and it was one problem after another. The Tribeca is more comfortable, has a smoother drive, and is more reliable. I would get it again.

Favorite Features

Design, comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Move the gas warning light (obstructed by the steering wheel). Larger gas tank. Needs a coin tray.

Outstanding SUV!
By bn2002bn

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The first Subaru we've owned and we love it! We were looking at the Honda Pilot(booring look), Toyota Higlander Hybrid(cheapo interior, drives like truck), GMC Acadia(drives like a bigger gas guzzling truck),Acura MDX (liked this but not as much as the Subaru for lots of little reasons not to mention value). The Tribeca immediately stood out. The build quality is excellent. The vehicle exudes confidence between the engine, all-wheel-drive, skid control, and all of the other safety features. The flat engine is extremely smooth even during hard acceleration(almost flooring it). The 3rd row is a little cramped but we only have 2 kids and aren't going cross-country in it either. Great car!

Favorite Features

Unique car in traffic, great interior/exterior design, engine, build quality top notch.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is decent for an AWD vehicle but should be improved. Hybrid maybe? Premium sound system is great with surround movies...could be better for music.

Tribeca is great!
By Dave Mason

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Easy to drive, firm on the road, no hassles in rain, snow or sun or even off-road. Nice lay-out inside and I get comments from strangers about its looks!

Favorite Features

AWD, large door mirrors, 7 seats!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel tank? Updated SATNAV discs (out of date?) xenon lights?

2008 Tribeca a big improvement
By Bob

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have had the Tribeca for 5 months and 6,000 miles. Combination driving I am averaging 19.5 miles. In city - 17 to 18 which is as advertised. Highway only trips 22 - 24. We have had a Land Rover Discovery, Acura MDX, Mercedes ML 320 and Volvo XC70 - this vehicle is every bit as good and much less expensive. Because of those other SUVs I was smart enough to not get the built in Navi. Spent $250 on a Garmin. Almost bought BMW X5 but decided to save $20K - glad I did.

Favorite Features

AWD is great in snow/ice. Like you would expect in a Subaru. Ipod port, interior styling. New front end for 2008 as well as the bigger engine. Great value for the dollars spent.

Suggested Improvements

Only 2 improvements - a bigger gas tank. Approx 16 gallon just not big enough. Need at least 20 gallon. Make it available in more exterior colors. Love it otherwise though.

Hidden Gem
By Baystar

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2003 Audi A4 Avant because it was so unreliable. The Tribeca is a hidden gem, it has a great ride and all the features of a Lexus RX but costs $12,000 less. While the critics complain about lack of space in rear rows that only applies to the 7 seater, the 5 seater has plenty of leg room. I think Subaru should stop trying to market the Tribeca as a 7 seater. Mileage could be better, but it helps that the Tribeca runs on regular gas. Handling is good enough that I don't miss the Audi. The overall ride is quiet, smooth and feels very sophisticated. The stereo is very good and helps make the commute highly enjoyable. The nav system has worked fine for me thus far.

Favorite Features

The rear view camera, puddle lights, large side mirrors. Subaru's reliability. Stylish interior. Most of all I like the fact that I've been driving this car for a month and have not come across another 08 Tribeca on the streets. No doubt this won't be for long, but it's not bad to feel unique.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank and glove compartment could be larger.

Another First Time Subaru owner
By Impressed

Like another reviewer, wife's car, was driving an STS.Did all the comparisons of driving and reading reviews plus watched a bunch of comparison videos. Nothing comes close to the performance,handling or safety. Compared to the B9 it is a much improved vehicle. If anyone is looking to buy an SUV because of weather considerations, this car will be one of the last to lose integrity.Great AWD and Traction control that really work.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera. Fit and finish. Fun to drive. Very predictable.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank. Fully adjustable steering column. Better GPS software (I agree, I agree, etc.). Needs Bluetooth (don't know why XM can't go for it).

Nice enjoyable vehicle
By KRB

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Tribeca is a fun car to drive. Instrument panel is cool looking and easy to read. Like the interior design. Front seats feel like a "cockpit" not just the front seat of a car. It's tighter on space than other comparable SUVs. Only other negative is that mileage is disappointing. We're getting just over 15mpg all city/local driving.

Favorite Features

Interior front seat "cockpit" design is real nice. Navigation/information panel is helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better mileage and would like a larger interior. Navigation system is a little difficult to work with.

I've always wanted....
By liswal

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I read the reviews, did my research, and bought the car I've always wanted. I've only had it for 4 days. Things I love. The car is comfortable, easy to drive. I love the camera back up feature and the aux for my iPod. Taking my first road trip tomorrow and I can't wait to get it on the open freeway.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, duel temp control for front seats, car seat warmers, the place for my car jack is big enough to hold more emergency supplies and my kites, love the color and the big side mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Of course it looks like the navigation needs another update. I will find out in portland tomarrow. Could use a bit more storage space up front. Gas mileage, but I knew that when I bought it. It's worth the all wheel drive.

Shop Carefully
By Disappointed

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Rear-seat riders in 7-passenger model should not be taller than 2 feet. Check leg room carefully. Ceiling mounted seat belt for middle seat, middle row, hits rider to the right in the head. Gas mileage is terrible. Repeat, gas mileage is terrible. Nav screen darkens way too much when headlights turned on. Gas mileage is terrible. Keyless remote unreliable. If you lock car using key, also unlock with key or alarm will sound. Gas mileage is terrible. CD changer repeats same CD, doesn't change to another CD. Must be done manually. Middle seats uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, never had one before.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage. Lengthen the auto to give rear seat some leg room. Fix the darkening nav screen when headlights are on. Make keyless entry more effective.