2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

2008 Tribeca Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Sort Reviews by

Did not meet expecations
By Briofny

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car in April of 08, and just hit 27k miles. Small gas tank, but mileage not bad for an SUV. The fit of the interior of the car is disappointing, loose pieces every where, & the rear hatch is not designed to strategically close when packing. Also, what is the point of the rear blower if I can't control it from the front, my kids cant reach it. The look of the car is great, but I can't justify the looks versus the quality I expect for the prices. A+ on the handling and engine (although Subaru wants me to change the tranny fluid already)! C on interior quality and pointing out as another post did, who scans on the radio any more, let me change my presets from the steering wheel

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive in the North East is key! 23 MPG highway, good acceleration. Sliding second seat with recline.

Suggested Improvements

The radio needs improvement. No reason why in 2009, this isn't a quality design. Rear hatch should be designed to indicate where it will close inside the vehicle. If so, one would know where the limit of packing ends.

Energy Drain
By Overland Park, KS

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car - except two issues that I've had. I have a "phantom" energy drain that leaves me stranded due to a dead battery. It's random, unpredictable and frustrating. I also have had to have the power steering fixed twice - they actually needed to put a new pump (?), regardless, at such low mileage I'm surprised.

Favorite Features

I love the interior of this car. The dashboard is beautiful and I think it has more features/gauges/lights and style than the other two cars I looked at, Cadillac SRX and Lincoln MKX.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the funky, stylish little round headlights. I liked the old look better. The new headlights look like every other car. It used to look more high tech.

Loss of confidence
By Phil in Blaine

2008 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased our Tribeca about 18 months ago, and rated it very high. All of that has changed after being stranded 3 times and numerous trips to the dealer who can't or won't resolve the problems. From the beginning there has been a noise in the engine that the dealer and factory reps hear but can't pinpoint, so it goes unrepaired, also it burns oil but not enough to meet their oil consumption criteria. The steering column locks up, and has stranded us three times, you have to beat and bang on the column to unlock it, the tow driver taught me that, and because you can't duplicate the condition, they can't repair it. This is our first Subaru and it will be our last. Maybe we got a LEMON?

Favorite Features

Ride and handling, especially in ice and snow conditions. Seating comfort, and ease of entry.

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service!

Great car for the money
By Tim O

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have 12,000 on my Tribeca, and have been very happy. I was shopping for an SUV w/ 4WD/AWD, good reliability and resale, and wanted some luxury appointments (leather, 6 CD, etc) for not much over $30k. I chose the Subaru over all others in class as I was able to get most everything I wanted without having to compromise too much. The inside and exterior styling are very unique, and the interior is more luxurious and sharp looking that the other cars in class. I've had the car for close to a year and have been very impressed. The AWD system is fantastic in the Iowa winters. After having ridden in all of them, I'm happy I chose this over Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner and Edge.

Favorite Features

AWD system is great; unique interior; head and shoulder room for driver is fantastic (I'm 6'1"); ease of rear seat folding; not everyone has one; puddle lights are a nice touch; iPod jack; 18" wheels are great; comfy/supportive seats.

Suggested Improvements

Really needs a telescoping steering wheel; center arm rest needs to slide forward so the driver can rest an elbow on there while holding the wheel; the steering wheel mounted radio control doesn't let you scroll through your presets, it just 'seeks' to the next station which is VERY annoying.

Safe and Secure
By Bigtime

2008 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I leased this vehicle for my sons who went off to school. This is a solid vehicle with excellent safety ratings. It is a substantial vehicle that handles whatever the weather brings. In 3 years mileage will be up substantially for all manufacturers when it it time for a new vehicle. What sold me was the overall passenger room, the styling and safety features. I have not regretted the lease for even a moment. I wish that I were driving it instead of my kids.

Favorite Features

Comfortable front seats. Secure handling. Large side mirrors for visibility. Excellent cargo room. One of the safest vehicles on the road.

Suggested Improvements

More second row leg seat room and of course bluetooth capability.

Need shield for a/c condenser
By Judy Adair

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Tribeca in Aug. of this yr. and really love it, with a few exceptions. We took a 3600 mile trip up the east coast (being demo it already had 5600 miles on it). Well, on the way home from our trip a rock flew into the a/c condenser and all the freon drained out. I can't believe that there is no protection from flying objects. The cost to repair it was $1080.00! We were shocked about this and had file on our insurance.

Favorite Features

wonderful dash lights, gps, holds to the road well in curves, drives smoother loaded down, seat warmers, back tray, puddle lights

Suggested Improvements

Please make a grille of some sort to protect the condenser. Needs better fuel economy. Make back seats easier to pull back. Lights to stay on after leaving vehicle and getting in vehicle from parking.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Review
By Nor Cal

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the Tribeca since April 2008 and put almost 6000 miles on it so far. The handling of the AWD Tribeca is darn near neutral and the turn in spot on. its fun to drive and comfortable on road trips or in town. The interior and exterior looks compliment each other. I use the transmission in sport mode all the time, either leaving it in drive or shifting up and down. the engine is a lot more responsive & mileage doesn't seem to suffer. One thing that bugs me is that the transmission shifting seems out of sync with the engine at times. The Tribeca doubles well as a tent and carries a lot of "stuff". I don't like the puddle lights though but that's a nil point IMO. Next thing is XM radio.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride. Shape & profile. 18" wheels and low aspect tires. Interior appointment, features & lighting, MP3 player dock, grocery bag holders, 110v outlets, mirrors that adjust to light.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, crisper shifting/engine response. blind spot created by thick front window/windshield pillars. A/C vent system controls confusing. could use more storage for things like CDs and such.

Mixed Bag
By Mr. Subaru

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The 08 Tribeca is a mix of great features and questionable design components. The Tribeca is solidly built and handles like a car. The engine is powerful, and the transmission shifts smoothly. Steering and braking are crisp. The cargo area is surprisingly small for a vehicle this size, a tight fit for dogs. The gas mileage is poor (17 mpg mixed) compared to other vehicles in this category, and is compounded by a small gas tank which results in a VERY, VERY short driving range. I was spoiled by my 06 Outback's 500 mile range. The thick A pillar makes turning corners a challenge if pedestrians are present.

Favorite Features

AWD, interior design, front seats, powerful engine, smooth shifting transmission. Engine uses regular gas unlike earlier models which used premium.

Suggested Improvements

A 20+ gallon or bigger fuel tank which would compensate for the poor gas mileage. Considering Subarus are popular in snowy areas, better OEM tires would be welcome. An extending steering wheel would be great for those with long legs and normal sized arm lengths.

Nice Car, Too many Issues
By Gerry

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Last car was a BMW X5. At first I thought the Tribeca was on par. NO way! Have had a number of mechanical issues which my dealer does not know how to fix -- front left tire loses air, center console foam compressed, high pitched noise at certain speeds. Subaru has shown no interest in addressing my issues. I was looking to install blue-tooth which is not a factory option. The proprietary cd/radio has made that challenging. Lots of noise in the cabin while driving. The ride is not as firm as the BMW X5. The back-up camera is a very nice feature and the heated seats work well. The less than 16 gallon gas tank is way too small. Gas mileage has been 15 city 18 highway.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Doors do not close easily, larger gas tank, Eliminate cabin noise, blue- tooth capability, non-proprietary radio, better center console top, updated maps on nav system, better customer care

Overall Great SUV
By Brad

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle 7 months ago after much deliberation and was extremely happy with my choice. I understood the shortcomings: no telescoping wheel or bluetooth, small gas tank and 19-23 mpg (not bad considering AWD). However after I had the oil transmission cooler installed, the transmission hasn't shifted correctly again. Stays in gear too long, hard shifts etc. Working with the dealer to attempt a fix. All in all, a great vehicle for the price, all essential features and then some. Look hard at the this vehicle; you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't!

Favorite Features

Rear legroom, easy in/out of rear seats (so says the Mother), iPod jack, acceleration, exterior styling and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank, telescoping wheel, iPod interface w/ navi (like Nissan), HID headlamps (Available in Latin America/Canada) and folding side view mirrors (available in Latin America)