Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Passenger SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Subaru Groupie
By Subaru Groupie

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Subaru. They have cornered the market on all wheel drive. You can beat the low center of gravity and feel for the road. My only wish is that they would widen and cushion the seats better. All in all, wouldn't trade in my Subie for anything else. Like any vehicle maintenance and good tires are the keys to the vehicle's longevity. Expect 200,000 miles

Needs some improvement
By jrod

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this vehicle for approx. 26 mo. and haven't had an issue with the engine and tranny. What we do have issues with is the interior coming apart,like the plastic behind the steering wheel decided it didn't want to stay clipped. As for the 7 passenger claim..mm maybe they should have called it a 51/2 passenger. an adult can fit if they sit sideways. For the drive quality my wife has beaten out many a sport car with it. Fuel economy we average 21.5-25 mpg hwy (no kidding) when we take it to the mountains for ski season otherwise the posted 16 mpg city is accurate not bad for an SUV. Considering I drive it at 80mph i cannot complain.

Very fun to drive especially in the winter. though the rear space isn't huge we can fit a lot of stuff back there. love the REAR A/C

Ditch the 3rd row or make the SUV bigger, improve the plastics )V.W. does it inexpensive and good looking. get rear heat i do have a hard time in the winter keeping the glass from fogging up. Telescoping wheel for us taller ppl. I'm not the tallest at 6' but its hard for me to adjust to fit right.

Did not meet expecations
By Briofny

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car in April of 08, and just hit 27k miles. Small gas tank, but mileage not bad for an SUV. The fit of the interior of the car is disappointing, loose pieces every where, & the rear hatch is not designed to strategically close when packing. Also, what is the point of the rear blower if I can't control it from the front, my kids cant reach it. The look of the car is great, but I can't justify the looks versus the quality I expect for the prices. A+ on the handling and engine (although Subaru wants me to change the tranny fluid already)! C on interior quality and pointing out as another post did, who scans on the radio any more, let me change my presets from the steering wheel

All Wheel Drive in the North East is key! 23 MPG highway, good acceleration. Sliding second seat with recline.

The radio needs improvement. No reason why in 2009, this isn't a quality design. Rear hatch should be designed to indicate where it will close inside the vehicle. If so, one would know where the limit of packing ends.

Great SUV
By jaypol

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I leased a 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 pass last month. I have always driven Acura vehicles over the last 10 years but was turned off to the high cost of the MDX. I test drove the GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave,Toyota Highlander, and MDX. The Tribeca beat all these with respect to ride, performance, comfort, and safety. I only have 500 miles on it but am very satisfied so far.

XM radio, MP3 player, heated seats, third row seating, and comfortable ride as well as AWD

Bluetooth, better fuel economy, and gas tank not on drivers side of the vehicle

Great Vehicle
By Phil in Blaine

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at and driving all the other SUVs in its class and some above it, this by far was the best vehicle. If you are in the market for this type of vehicle you owe to yourself to take a test drive, you will be sold. The mileage surprised me. I am getting 18.5 to 19 mpg in suburban driving. It is quiet, smooth and has one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I have driven, almost as smooth as a CVT. The power curve is excellent. Subaru has hit a home run with this vehicle.

Front seat comfort, I am 6'4" and my wife is 5', it is really comfortable for either to drive. The sound system is as good as any premium unit I have had in other vehicles.

As with most vehicles, when the tilt steering wheel is brought down the top rim of the wheel blocks the view of the speedometer and tach.