2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Passenger SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

2008 Tribeca Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Sort Reviews by

2008 Suburu Nightmare
By seriously5

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I was impressed that this SUV had everything my Acura MDX had before it died. I got it used 5 mos. ago with 75K miles on it. The a/c died 3 weeks after buying it. The pocket behind my driver's seat ripped in 4 weeks following that. Neither was covered by the extended warranty I bought. Fuel door wouldn't open yesterday, and my gas light was on. Scheduled to get it fixed this Sat. Now my passenger door won't open with the remote or the button inside. Great. Gas mileage range is 17-21, but I haven't seen above 19.

Favorite Features

Beautiful interior. Lots of options. Has a nice little kick when you hit the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better interior quality. Needs not to have all those things happen listed in my review. Oh, also had to have the windshield wiper arm replaced on driver's side. It decided not to work after 2 mos. This can was in supposed "mint" condition when I bought it. It had not one ding or scratch in its black paint. It passed the 90 pt. inspection. What a nightmare. I would never buy another Suburu!!!! Back to the MDX when I've had enough of this SUV!

Very Overlooked
By mercuryhater

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Wow i cant believe this car isn't popular. We just bought used with 41000 miles on it the flat 6 sounds good at start up and has a nice dual exhaust. The Sport mode doesn't do anything. Acceleration is very good. Ours is Gray on black which is kind of boring because our last 2 car were silver/ gray. The Tribeca is very agile and feels sporty. the glove box has no room. We like the sunroof visor because you can have it shut with the glass tilted. the navigation works well it is very calming and doesn't sound like a computer

Favorite Features

Sunroof,Build Quality, Navigation, 3 stage heated seats, Back up camera, Heated windshield wipers, 3.6 BOXER flat 6 engine it has a really cool sound.

Suggested Improvements

More passenger seat adjustments like height bottom tilt.

2008 and i have changed 8 - 10 headlights
By lvilletribeca

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has the worst reliable headlights of any car I have ever owned. Every 6 months and they need changing. Gas mileage is not good and the care is noisy. On the positive side, other than brakes and headlights I have had low maintenance. I would think hard before i acquired another Subaru.

Burns oil tooo FAST and frequent bulb outagaes
By cin0904

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle used 1 yr ago. I discovered the oil burns very very fast. I put 4 qts of oil in the vehicle and two weeks later the dip stick was completely empty. Tires Plus informed I need to take the vehicle to the dealership due to the oil is buring entirely too fast and could cause issues to the engine. I am also experiencing issues with frequent headlight bulb outage. I replaced both left and right headlights twice over the last 4 months. Now both high beams are out and the fog lights are out. the light in the trunk is out. It flickers from time to time. I have to constantly check my oil weekly to ensure it isn't bone dry. Thread on leather seats are coming apart.

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof

Suggested Improvements

A better engine

Nice but with some quality reliability issues
By jimsimp3

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the car for 40 months now and honestly say I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER TRIBECA and maybe not another Subaru. LIKES: purchase price including factory incentives was $6,000 under MSRP. It has plenty of nice standard features. I like the styling (except the Chrysler-like grill). I really like the size and cargo capacity with the seats folded. DISLIKES: fuel economy, small fuel tank, cheap and non-durable plastic cargo area material, forward blind spots caused by thick posts. Last but not least ........ I have it back to the dealer too many times for issues like rough transmission shifting, replacement of brake master cylinder, headlight bulbs are frequently blown

Favorite Features

Purchase price compared to competitor vehicles. Standard features are nice. Vehicle size and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Add six speed transmission to improve fuel economy. Use better interior materials. Improve body integrity and reliability.

Junk
By 1rich

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research when the '08 model came out. Unfortunately there was not enough real data out there. Reliability and performance are poor. We get 14.5 miles per gallon in mixed driving. Full size SUV's with V8 engines can do better. Besides the gas useage is the oil useage. Check it out on your own. Subara considers 1 quart of oil used per every 1000 miles within spec. I should know. This is our Tribeca's oil consumption. We have had interior components fall off (Visors, seat backs, seat track covers, etc.) The dash squeaks, the hatch rattles and engine components have failed (EGR valve). All this and less than 25k miles on it. I will never own another subaru.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru, improve your production line and use higher grade compenents. The reliability of this care is awful. Also the suspension rides like a brick and there are all kinds of clunks and rattles from it. Just a poorly built car overall.

Good Choice
By Angela

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When the lease was up on our bmx x5, we chose the tribeca. The monthly bill was way less, a little over half of what we were paying for the BMW. All in all, we've been happy with this car. The small gas tank is a bit of a drag. The gas mileage isn't great. But from what I hear, it isn't terribly out of range for a comparable car. Would love a split rear hatch. The door is heavy and hard to pull down with one hand. I've gotten stronger, though. There's a bit of a leap when you first touch the gas pedal. Our lease is up in March, and I think we'll buy this car.

Sensor issues
By future uncertain

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has had five sensor issues since I bought it one year ago. One was a Transmission issue and the others were oxygen or other sensors. The small gas tank on this car is a bit of a pain because you have to fill it often. Otherwise, the car has a good layout and a stylish look. It drives smooth and has good pick up. I want to like this SUV, but it's obviously an inconvenience to have to keep going back to service to diagnose and replace sensors every other month. I was surprised at this - Subaru is usually known for reliability. Not sure whether I will hold on to this one or not.

Favorite Features

Size, Look, Layout.

Suggested Improvements

Fix sensor issues. Get a better radio - one that actually scrolls the artist and song title along with the station.

A Little over 2 years old
By Claire T.

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has more than enough power. Handles well under all weather conditions.

Favorite Features

side mirrors, dual climate control, all wheel drive in the snow can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, express up/down on both front windows and My long legged husband could use a telescoping steering wheel. He also suggests a memory for the mirrors, not just the seats.

Subaru Groupie
By Subaru Groupie

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Subaru. They have cornered the market on all wheel drive. You can beat the low center of gravity and feel for the road. My only wish is that they would widen and cushion the seats better. All in all, wouldn't trade in my Subie for anything else. Like any vehicle maintenance and good tires are the keys to the vehicle's longevity. Expect 200,000 miles