2008 Subaru Tribeca 3.6L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

2008 Tribeca Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Burns oil tooo FAST and frequent bulb outagaes
By cin0904

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle used 1 yr ago. I discovered the oil burns very very fast. I put 4 qts of oil in the vehicle and two weeks later the dip stick was completely empty. Tires Plus informed I need to take the vehicle to the dealership due to the oil is buring entirely too fast and could cause issues to the engine. I am also experiencing issues with frequent headlight bulb outage. I replaced both left and right headlights twice over the last 4 months. Now both high beams are out and the fog lights are out. the light in the trunk is out. It flickers from time to time. I have to constantly check my oil weekly to ensure it isn't bone dry. Thread on leather seats are coming apart.

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof

Suggested Improvements

A better engine

Good Choice
By Angela

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When the lease was up on our bmx x5, we chose the tribeca. The monthly bill was way less, a little over half of what we were paying for the BMW. All in all, we've been happy with this car. The small gas tank is a bit of a drag. The gas mileage isn't great. But from what I hear, it isn't terribly out of range for a comparable car. Would love a split rear hatch. The door is heavy and hard to pull down with one hand. I've gotten stronger, though. There's a bit of a leap when you first touch the gas pedal. Our lease is up in March, and I think we'll buy this car.

Sensor issues
By future uncertain

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has had five sensor issues since I bought it one year ago. One was a Transmission issue and the others were oxygen or other sensors. The small gas tank on this car is a bit of a pain because you have to fill it often. Otherwise, the car has a good layout and a stylish look. It drives smooth and has good pick up. I want to like this SUV, but it's obviously an inconvenience to have to keep going back to service to diagnose and replace sensors every other month. I was surprised at this - Subaru is usually known for reliability. Not sure whether I will hold on to this one or not.

Favorite Features

Size, Look, Layout.

Suggested Improvements

Fix sensor issues. Get a better radio - one that actually scrolls the artist and song title along with the station.

A Little over 2 years old
By Claire T.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has more than enough power. Handles well under all weather conditions.

Favorite Features

side mirrors, dual climate control, all wheel drive in the snow can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, express up/down on both front windows and My long legged husband could use a telescoping steering wheel. He also suggests a memory for the mirrors, not just the seats.

tribeca flat six
By rdg

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving for 50 years and consider myself knowledgeable when it come to vehicles and this one is raising eyebrows where ever we go people ask me questions, the dash excites everyone also the engine when I explain flat six people say how come they have never heard about it, which is subaru's poor advertising.Take my advice just go see for yourself

Favorite Features

Driving on long trips I find I am not as tired, strange I know but its true, sound system very good nice and clear, heated seat for my spouse

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, extra gear in tranny

Best all wheel drive system
By RDG

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We looked at all other SUVs and nothing came close, the design alone indicates how they take everything in consideration they take pride in designing a one of a kind, all other SUVs have plain dashes, also the engine is like no other, way ahead in all aspects. The all wheel drive has 33% less parts than the rest, reliability and resale far ahead of the others, don, t believe all these so called experts?

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, safety features, quiet ride and quality and resale value

Suggested Improvements

7 speed transmission

Faulty Transmission. Unrepairable!!
By goodhobbes

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new two years ago. My last Subaru! I purchased this vehicle based upon reputation for reliability. Experienced what appeared to be slippage of the torque converter within the first few days of ownership. A sensation like an engine "miss" in 5th gear (torque converter locked). Dealerships have been unable to correct the problem despite numerous visits, and Subaru Canada have been unable to guide the technicians in finding a "fix".This has persisted for two years. Two new torque converters and numerous adjustments to computer, solenoids,etc. have failed. Subaru has ignored my communications. I am stuck with this vehicle, it appears! Brakes are poor, Front suspension knocks.

Favorite Features

Room, Interior, surefooted traction.

Suggested Improvements

Correct transmission problem. Improve brakes. Improved accountability by Subaru! Improve suspension bushings.

Like It!!
By Judy from Syosset

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Subaru; my last lease was a Toyota Highlander. When I turned it in, the new ones were huge and very expensive. So far, I've liked this car; it's comfortable and has been reliable, except that I've had some issues with the tires...one a nail picked up and another tire had a rim that was coming away..Very strange. The big downsides for me are: the gas mileage, no automatic hatch opener and it's very hard for a short person to close the hatch. Overall, though, I would consider leasing another one, particularly if some of these flaws were corrected.

Favorite Features

A very good-looking car, fairly comfortable power seats, roomy interior and a very secure feeling in the snow. I have a killer driveway, so this is important.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, automatic hatch opener and closer (which would take care of the problems a short person has closing the tailgate.

Won't get me again
By Rich

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I usually don't write any reviews, but this car is so bad, I thought I owed you (the reader) some advice. Don't buy this car. We bought ours new, and the engine eats oil. Dealer said the engine was 'breaking in'. I am now at 20k on the car, and it eats 1.5 to 2 qts per 1000 miles. Dealer will not help. Also, the A/C is weak. It is barely ok for the front, but on a 5 passenger, there is no rear air. My kids hate it, always hot. Numb steering, brakes fade easily, 'manual' shift is poor when upshifting, interior clunks and rattles like a 30 year old Ford. There is lots of room for improvement, here. Once bitten, twice shy. There, I warned you.

Favorite Features

AWD is nice, but you are lucky to get 20mpg highway; styling is so bland, you are invisible to cops, but sadly, also invisible to cute girls.

Suggested Improvements

Key/remote has range of 10 feet or less, driver seat makes my rear numb on roadtrips, very small gas tank (17 or 18 gal) only about 220 miles per tank. Flat 6 engine is a poor design, oil basically sits in cylinder, and gets burned off. 18" wheels brings lots of road noise.

Energy Drain
By Overland Park, KS

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car - except two issues that I've had. I have a "phantom" energy drain that leaves me stranded due to a dead battery. It's random, unpredictable and frustrating. I also have had to have the power steering fixed twice - they actually needed to put a new pump (?), regardless, at such low mileage I'm surprised.

Favorite Features

I love the interior of this car. The dashboard is beautiful and I think it has more features/gauges/lights and style than the other two cars I looked at, Cadillac SRX and Lincoln MKX.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the funky, stylish little round headlights. I liked the old look better. The new headlights look like every other car. It used to look more high tech.