Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Burns oil tooo FAST and frequent bulb outagaes
By cin0904

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle used 1 yr ago. I discovered the oil burns very very fast. I put 4 qts of oil in the vehicle and two weeks later the dip stick was completely empty. Tires Plus informed I need to take the vehicle to the dealership due to the oil is buring entirely too fast and could cause issues to the engine. I am also experiencing issues with frequent headlight bulb outage. I replaced both left and right headlights twice over the last 4 months. Now both high beams are out and the fog lights are out. the light in the trunk is out. It flickers from time to time. I have to constantly check my oil weekly to ensure it isn't bone dry. Thread on leather seats are coming apart.

Love the sunroof

A better engine

Good Choice
By Angela

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When the lease was up on our bmx x5, we chose the tribeca. The monthly bill was way less, a little over half of what we were paying for the BMW. All in all, we've been happy with this car. The small gas tank is a bit of a drag. The gas mileage isn't great. But from what I hear, it isn't terribly out of range for a comparable car. Would love a split rear hatch. The door is heavy and hard to pull down with one hand. I've gotten stronger, though. There's a bit of a leap when you first touch the gas pedal. Our lease is up in March, and I think we'll buy this car.

Sensor issues
By future uncertain

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has had five sensor issues since I bought it one year ago. One was a Transmission issue and the others were oxygen or other sensors. The small gas tank on this car is a bit of a pain because you have to fill it often. Otherwise, the car has a good layout and a stylish look. It drives smooth and has good pick up. I want to like this SUV, but it's obviously an inconvenience to have to keep going back to service to diagnose and replace sensors every other month. I was surprised at this - Subaru is usually known for reliability. Not sure whether I will hold on to this one or not.

Size, Look, Layout.

Fix sensor issues. Get a better radio - one that actually scrolls the artist and song title along with the station.

A Little over 2 years old
By Claire T.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car has more than enough power. Handles well under all weather conditions.

side mirrors, dual climate control, all wheel drive in the snow can't be beat.

Larger gas tank, express up/down on both front windows and My long legged husband could use a telescoping steering wheel. He also suggests a memory for the mirrors, not just the seats.

tribeca flat six
By rdg

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving for 50 years and consider myself knowledgeable when it come to vehicles and this one is raising eyebrows where ever we go people ask me questions, the dash excites everyone also the engine when I explain flat six people say how come they have never heard about it, which is subaru's poor advertising.Take my advice just go see for yourself

Driving on long trips I find I am not as tired, strange I know but its true, sound system very good nice and clear, heated seat for my spouse

Fuel economy, extra gear in tranny