1995 Subaru SVX Consumer Review: It's Not a Box or Wagon - SVX

1995 Subaru SVX - Consumer Review

L Coupe (3.3L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

It's Not a Box or Wagon - SVX Sporty
By cpt kirk on

1995 Subaru SVX L 2dr Coupe AWD

I wanted a car that would get good gas milage and would get me up and down the steep hills during a snow storm. I got lucky and bought a 1995 SVX AWD and have been very happy. Try 28mpg on the highway with a lot of extra peddal to go; about 90 mph @3500rpms. I get about 19mpg city. This car takes premium gas. I had no trouble getting up to Alta, Utah, for a powder ski day when only 4x4's and cars with chains were allowed up the canyon. Under the paint is a zinc coating to help reduce corrosion - so smart! Fender wells designed to keep splashes/road tar from going all over the car's body. Overall great (Italian)styling.

Favorite Features

Winter/summer, just set the climate control to 72 degrees and drive. Fold down back seats open to trunk. Handles as if on rails. Automatic trans okay; so you can hold a drink or cell phone and attempt to drive (this gets tougher to do with a standard shifter).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the SVX. More headroom please. The metal is so-so thin and tends to collect dings (how about a strip guard). The WRX SCi is a 4 cyl with a turbo. I can't even think of what the SVX 6cyl with a turbo would have been like (Porsche 911 Turbo?).