Used 1992 Subaru SVX LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru SVX - Consumer Reviews

LS 3.3L 6-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

Favorite thus-far
By lots-o-cars

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Great car all-around. I bought it at 114k miles, and have driven it for about 15k miles. The only thing I've replaced is the water pump. AWD so it corners amazingly. Very comfortable. more-so than my Infiniti. people try to race me every time i drive it. And i usually win. But always get a thumbs up or something. Very sturdy. This car was hit in a parking lot by an H2 hummer (and repaired) prior to me buying it. Then less than 2 weeks after I bought it, it was hit on the same corner (front right) by a big White work van. I bent the fender off of the tire and the car drove perfectly straight. I also hit a rock big enough to break my rim on the same front right tire. No real damage.

Comfortable. Quick. Average 21 or so mpg (not bad for a sports car). 120 mph feels like 80 mph in most cars. Awesome off-road. (probably good on snow. I wouldn't know, I live in the desert). Oh yah sturdy! Feel very safe driving. Slide up cover for the radio.

Add manual trans. It's a little heavy. Not many aftermarket parts. Pretty much have to make them yourself. Auto transmissions are known to get hot and go out. I can feel the heat through the transmission hump.

Why it has grown on us!
By Brigitte Javidara

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

It is one of the most fun-cars to drive. I traded in my 1989 Corvette for this SVX and immediately became a stable and peaceful person. The smooth and in particular the quiet drive, even at speed, is a real driving experience. It's like sitting in an air plane, smooth and quiet. There never were any technical problems. Now that I am older however, it is a little harder for me to get in and out of the car.

The look and shape of the SVX. Everyone is asking what make this car is, as they had never seen one like it. The body style after so many years is still exotic.

It needs a new power antenna. The pin in the steering wheel apparently is broken; it won't stay in the down position. The visor clip is broken. And, it only has one key left. We have tried to get another but it seems nearly impossible.

Definitely a different drive
By Xodi-SVX

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I purchased my Subaru SVX back in May of '04 and have never looked back. This car is completely different from every other car on the road. Its rare to see another one, and quite honestly, owning one is like having a membership into a cult of sorts. The 3.3 liter Boxer H-6 engine definitely puts out the power to the wheels, which happens to be all wheel drive. Coupled with independent ABS on each disc (Yes, four discs, not two discs and two drums), this car will get you up to speed and back to a halt in no time flat. And if you're not sold on it yet, here is another tidbit. When you floor it, a green light on the dash displays POWER. Such a rush to drive.

Body styling, split window design, POWER mode, automatic transmission that shifts like a manual (still wish it was manual), superb comfort, superior handling, excellent daily driver.

The current transmission is prone to failure due to overheating and the wheel bearings are also known to go fairly quick.

great car except for tranny
By ozzy1

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

Loved to drive the car, but had to put in 4 transmissions in the 9 years I owned it (bought it new in '92) Yes 4 trannys. Two were under warantee, but the last two were my expense and at over $3K...yikes. Got rid when it went again. I did not drive it hard either. CV boots go every year as well and tough to keep in allignment. With all that said, I would still be driving it if it were not for the tranny, as this was a great car to drive.

just about everything on this space age car...ahead of its time

a transmission that does not crap out after a year or two. It is a shame that Subaru did not improve this car and dropped the line. It is a special car, and those who own one understand what I mean.

What more can you ask for
By vollball81

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car with 180k on it and it runs perfect still. The interior is perfect. The tranny was rebuilt, and the car electronically works perfectly. This car I expect to go at least another 100k

I love the windows, amount of goodies to play with, AWD thats a given

MANUAL, not manual mode.