1992 Subaru SVX Consumer Review: '92 Subaru SVX LS 'Touring'

1992 Subaru SVX - Consumer Review

'92 Subaru SVX LS 'Touring'
By Roy Corley on

1992 Subaru SVX LS 2dr Coupe AWD

I 'inherited' the car in March of 2009 from my sister-in-law who bought it new in Tucson. The car had 86K miles and the transmission had been rebuilt around 75K. The car had led a very sheltered life and was in exceptional condition for its age. Within a week, it received a complement at a stoplight from a Ferrari driver. I drove the car on a 3700 mile loop through Texas and New Mexico in July. It never missed a beat and averaged 28 mpg for the trip. It's an absolute blast to drive through mountain twisties. The car has never let me down, but finding a quality mechanic is of utmost importance. Fortunately, I found one here in Scottsdale that loves the car and is honest as the day is long.

Due to the styling, it's often mistaken for a 90-96 Nissan 300Z. The 'over engineering' is amazing and I liken it to a Japanese Mercedes when it comes to build quality. The 'window within a window' is a great feature and the AWD gives you a sense of security on wet surfaces.

Too late now, but I wish the car had about 300 hp and an automatic transmission that would stand up to it, now that I can no longer drive a manual gearbox due to a spinal cord injury.